Author Topic: Arizona Starts Bidding for the Rights to Draft Matthews  (Read 4359 times)

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Starts Bidding for the Rights to Draft Matthews
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2016, 09:03:49 PM »
Knowing what we know now about the Leafs drafting #1 this season and you have a chance to re-pick last years draft, do you take Hanafin?

Online Mr. Leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2016, 09:06:14 PM »
Knowing what we know now about the Leafs drafting #1 this season and you have a chance to re-pick last years draft, do you take Hanafin?
No way, no how.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2016, 09:12:40 PM »

I can't pretend I watched much of Hanifin this year but I think that if the Leafs thought that Hanifin was the sort of defenseman who was a safe bet to be a #1 they'd have taken him regardless.

So personally, no.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2016, 09:15:26 PM »
I thought Hanafin looked good at the WC, probably the most I saw of him all year, but no, with the year Marner just had I'm ok with it. Apparently Babcock wanted him, so there's that.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2016, 09:23:21 PM »

I can't pretend I watched much of Hanifin this year but I think that if the Leafs thought that Hanifin was the sort of defenseman who was a safe bet to be a #1 they'd have taken him regardless.

So personally, no.

That's kinda how I see it too, but I think there was a lot of talk at least externally that the Leafs still need more depth at centre ice. If you know you have Matthews coming, I wonder if Babcock's argument for Hanafin becomes a little more compelling.

I should add that Marner has been lights out and I'm very excited to have him coming, just thought it was an idea worth airing.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2016, 09:31:07 PM »
I should add that Marner has been lights out and I'm very excited to have him coming, just thought it was an idea worth airing.

No I agree. To be honest I'm like you where I'm very excited about Marner but I still had to really think about your question.

I guess the way I see things is if we'd done that, taken Hanifin instead of Marner, we'd sort of be having the same conversation about our wing prospects as we are now about our defensemen. Nielsen, Dermott, Carrick, Zaitsev(sort of) and Valiev aren't a great group but they're not much behind Hyman, Sosh, Kapanen, Dzierkals, Timashov and various others.

If, as a lot of people suspect, the Leafs take a Defenseman with either Pittsburgh's 1st or their 2nd I'd say they're roughly as strong at both areas(Marner excluded).
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2016, 03:51:16 PM »
No way, no how.

X2!

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2016, 03:51:16 PM »