Author Topic: Arizona Starts Bidding for the Rights to Draft Matthews  (Read 4361 times)

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Starts Bidding for the Rights to Draft Matthews
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 04:34:35 PM »

I doubt it gets much crazier. With Arizona already essentially saying they're not going to include OEL and the famously tight-lipped Lamoriello basically ruling out the idea of trading the pick as per that NYT quote then really the only thing we're likely to see between here and now are things like this, people who aren't all that reliable reporting unrealistic scenarios.

We discount anything from Eklund here too, right?

Who's Eklund?
Perfect. :)

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 05:11:03 PM »
I think the Internet would be a lot different if you had to put in a nickel into a slot before you could post something.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 05:27:05 PM »
My Penfield mood organ takes nickels, though I've written 'Stamkos' in sharpie by setting 481 and it seems to just eat my nickels...
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »
I wonder what they have or will offer.   You know there gonna try.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 05:34:59 PM by KadriFan »

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 09:21:04 PM »

I doubt it gets much crazier. With Arizona already essentially saying they're not going to include OEL and the famously tight-lipped Lamoriello basically ruling out the idea of trading the pick as per that NYT quote then really the only thing we're likely to see between here and now are things like this, people who aren't all that reliable reporting unrealistic scenarios.

We discount anything from Eklund here too, right?

Who's Eklund?
I think he means Peklund.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 08:33:03 AM »
Has a team EVER traded from the #1 pick down to the #7 pick?  I can't see it happening.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 10:49:07 AM »
I think the Internet would be a lot different if you had to put in a nickel into a slot before you could post something.

Reminds me of Chris Rocks hilarious take on crime if bullets cost $5,000 a pop.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
Has a team EVER traded from the #1 pick down to the #7 pick?  I can't see it happening.

They would literally have to offer double the rumored offer to even get consideration.  They would have to gut their organization to even get the leafs to listen.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 10:57:45 AM »

Nor can I. Though incredibly unlikely, any trade of the no.1 pick would involve the no.2 or 3 pick.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 02:22:45 PM »

Reminds me of Chris Rocks hilarious take on crime if bullets cost $5,000 a pop.

They'd have to then increase the prices on knives, bats, and, crowbars!  LOL

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »
I'm sure that the Leafs brass is talking over the potential of Matthews,what his ceiling is,asking Hunter if he's got 100 point per season capabilities in his future.

Or trading him for a boatload of prospects that Arizona has,that may want to play in TO for the long term.

Offline Bill_Berg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2016, 01:58:49 PM »
I'm sure that the Leafs brass is talking over the potential of Matthews,what his ceiling is,asking Hunter if he's got 100 point per season capabilities in his future.

Or trading him for a boatload of prospects that Arizona has,that may want to play in TO for the long term.

I considered for a little while what it would be like if Matthews jumped ship at the first opportunity to become a UFA and sign with Arizona, but that just doesn't seem to happen often, if ever, and if it becomes a trend, we'll just replace Matthews with McDavid.

I'm expecting Matthews will be a career Leaf and McDavid a career Oiler. Or something close to that.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »

I considered for a little while what it would be like if Matthews jumped ship at the first opportunity to become a UFA and sign with Arizona, but that just doesn't seem to happen often, if ever, and if it becomes a trend, we'll just replace Matthews with McDavid.

I'm expecting Matthews will be a career Leaf and McDavid a career Oiler. Or something close to that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews headed home at his first opportunity.  I'd put more money on McDavid staying put with the Oilers than Matthews remaining a career long Leaf.  JMHO.

Offline Bonsixx

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2016, 02:58:40 PM »
I'd be surprised if the Coyotes are still in Arizona by the time Matthews is UFA-eligible.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2016, 03:28:36 PM »
I'd be surprised if the Coyotes are still in Arizona by the time Matthews is UFA-eligible.

Bettman wants to keep them there at all costs.  Interesting point though.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2016, 03:28:36 PM »