Author Topic: The Lupul Situation  (Read 9358 times)

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Lupul Situation
« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2018, 12:27:39 PM »
This is not the first time the Leafs have kind of buggered up the end of the career of one of its players who was in no way a problem while he was on the roster.  Lupul was one of the bright spots of talent (when healthy, yes) during some pretty dismal years for us fans.  I for one wish him well.

I don't know how the Leafs have buggered up the end of his career?  From the quotes that Lupul made just this past weekend he said he hasn't even SKATED in a year.  That means since at least Feb 2017, how are the Leafs to be held responsible if he's not even working towards making a comeback?

As the article says, they just disappeared him in 2016:

Lupul’s future intentions are unknown because of the mysterious way the Leafs have handled his situation. He was basically excommunicated from the organization after playing his 701st career game in Ottawa on Feb. 6, 2016....

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 07, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »

I've made my views on this pretty clear but I do think this is a situation where some forthrightness from a normally tightlipped organization would have been welcome.

Because as much as some people here might have liked to have claimed otherwise it never seemed like the Leafs particularly cared if Lupul came back or not and, really, it seemed like they were happy to see the back of him. There's been a lot of speculation about why that is and while I respect that they may not have wanted to air his dirty laundry they could have at least been honest about how they felt, along the lines of "Even if Joffrey does get healthy, we think his time here is done" which would at least make their position clear without embarrassing anyone.

As is, I think their behaviour has fed into the speculation and made them look not terribly decent about the whole thing.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 07, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
Bottom line for me, he isn't healthy enough to play so he's gotten about 9 mil to go play golf. If he was healthy enough to play and the Leafs didn't want him, they could have traded him, sent him to the minors, sat him in the pressbox. He was a good player but became injury prone and that was what ended his career.

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2018, 10:31:47 PM »
Not that it matters at this point, but Leafs giving #19 to Plekanec one last jab at Lupul? He is still technically under contract until the end of this season, could have made #19 off limits until then?

Found this in an old Toronto Star article regarding Lupul's jersey number:
"In his six seasons with the Maple Leafs, he has worn No. 19 in admiration of Hall of Famers Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman. The digits mean something to him."

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »
Has Lupul been injured 19 times?  That's probably a pretty good estimate, actually.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2018, 08:01:52 AM »
Not that it matters at this point, but Leafs giving #19 to Plekanec one last jab at Lupul? He is still technically under contract until the end of this season, could have made #19 off limits until then?

No.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2018, 08:01:52 AM »