Author Topic: The Lupul Situation  (Read 7457 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
The Lupul Situation
« on: June 06, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »

So something that's popped up in a lot of the off-season discussions is the idea that Lupul is effectively done as a Maple Leaf. But more than just from a perspective of the Leafs wanting to move on from him there seems to be this general sense that the Leafs will essentially do with him what they did with Robidas.

But doesn't that seem unlikely? Lupul's 32. His career, you assume, isn't over unless he's actively contemplating retirement. Robidas, who it's safe to say wasn't going to earn another NHL contract no matter what, could probably be told to stay home and earn the paycheck without much consequence. I'd think Lupul, who got shut down for a sports hernia and not a chronic and debilitating condition, will probably want to play past the age of 34 if he's able.

So what do people think happens with Lupul? With the understanding that jokes about Lou Lamoriello "making people disappear" were kind of funny the first time but not really.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Lupul Situation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 05:45:45 PM »
I think we are all in agreement that if Lupul could remain healthy, then he would be a major asset, but he is always injured or playing in pain. God if he could just get one great season in he would definetly net a good asset for a playoff bound team. That is a huge if however.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 07:07:34 PM »
If he's cleared, he'll probably play, which will lead to injuries, which will lead to the IR again. If he has any gas in the tank the following year, they might be able to move him, might not, same result is likely. So yeah, Loupul.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:31:22 PM by Tigger »
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »
Lupul
Lou pull
Loophole

Coincidence?

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:24:52 PM »
As much as I like Lupul. I hope is done. We could use the extra cash to sign SS.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 08:15:47 AM »
I was looking for an update on Lupul and the last one came from April: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/maple-leafs-notes--robidas-set-to-retire--lupul-recovering-from-surgery-232228708.html

Lupul underwent sports hernia surgery in February and missed the remainder of the season. According to Lupul’s agent, Peter Semonick, the 32-year-old is progressing well.

“His recovery is going fine and he's doing light workouts right now,” Semonick said. “I believe he just started skating lightly - everything is light right now.”

Semonick said there was no concern over his client not being ready for the start of training camp or his availability to play next season.

“Nothing other than the surgery he just had,” Semonick said.

If he had surgery in February, started lightly skating and working out in April, and still wasn't ready to go for training camp in September then something would definitely be seriously wrong I'd imagine.

I think people read too much into Lou's quote about Lupul being an "unknown" next season. He didn't really clarify, and he could have just as easily been referring to the fact that they might be trying to move him or something. Anyway, I don't think we'll be seeing any funny business with this one. If Lupul wants to continue his career, which he likely will, then he won't be getting Robidas'd.

Offline Bill_Berg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 08:28:59 AM »
I just assumed he'd be back, scoring at a pace for 20 or so goals this year until he gets hurt. There's little trade value because of his injury history, even if he doesn't get injured this year, which is a big if. So he'll play as much as he's able until his contract runs out.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 08:31:15 AM »
I was looking for an update on Lupul and the last one came from April: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/maple-leafs-notes--robidas-set-to-retire--lupul-recovering-from-surgery-232228708.html

Lupul underwent sports hernia surgery in February and missed the remainder of the season. According to Lupul’s agent, Peter Semonick, the 32-year-old is progressing well.

“His recovery is going fine and he's doing light workouts right now,” Semonick said. “I believe he just started skating lightly - everything is light right now.”

Semonick said there was no concern over his client not being ready for the start of training camp or his availability to play next season.

“Nothing other than the surgery he just had,” Semonick said.

If he had surgery in February, started lightly skating and working out in April, and still wasn't ready to go for training camp in September then something would definitely be seriously wrong I'd imagine.

I think people read too much into Lou's quote about Lupul being an "unknown" next season. He didn't really clarify, and he could have just as easily been referring to the fact that they might be trying to move him or something. Anyway, I don't think we'll be seeing any funny business with this one. If Lupul wants to continue his career, which he likely will, then he won't be getting Robidas'd.

Yeah, I imagine that 32 year old isn't quite ready yet to change his career from hockey to modelling.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 08:44:54 AM »
I wonder if we can at least ditch Lupul at the expansion draft. He'll only have 1-year left on his deal and his salary will only be $3.75mil (as opposed to his cap hit of $5.25mil). If there's a cap floor that Vegas will have to achieve then I'm sure they'll be looking for options like that. He's also a veteran guy, and generally seems well liked wherever he goes.

That'll probably all be dependent on Lupul being healthy for at least half of the season though.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 08:49:16 AM »
I wonder if we can at least ditch Lupul at the expansion draft. He'll only have 1-year left on his deal and his salary will only be $3.75mil (as opposed to his cap hit of $5.25mil). If there's a cap floor that Vegas will have to achieve then I'm sure they'll be looking for options like that. He's also a veteran guy, and generally seems well liked wherever he goes.

That'll probably all be dependent on Lupul being healthy for at least half of the season though.

I've been kinda thinking the same things, concerning reasons to hold onto Bozak and Lupul. 2 active player contracts we have that can be left unprotected.

Unless of course we get a good futures package for Bozak from a team looking to shore up their center depth.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 09:36:36 AM »
Besides always being hurt, I lost hope in Lupul when the media started to get to him. Challenging a instagram heckler to a fight, threatening to sue TSN, "Get familar with no comment". Yes, the heat was on and some bad stuff happened but he got sucked down the rabbit hole and didn't handle the bad times well. I feel it showed his true character and it wasn't pretty. Great player during the 5 minutes he was healthy.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 09:38:51 AM »
I don't think it's a joke that Lou will find some way to make his contract go away.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 01:37:58 PM »
Besides always being hurt, I lost hope in Lupul when the media started to get to him. Challenging a instagram heckler to a fight, threatening to sue TSN, "Get familar with no comment". Yes, the heat was on and some bad stuff happened but he got sucked down the rabbit hole and didn't handle the bad times well. I feel it showed his true character and it wasn't pretty. Great player during the 5 minutes he was healthy.

I'm not sure he could be called a great player last season when healthy.  He appeared to do a lot of floating IMHO, likely trying to avoid injury.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 09:58:11 PM »

Lupul accurately describes what we all know is going on:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/joffrey-lupul-calls-leafs-instagram-says-cheat/
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 10:25:40 PM »
An instagram post obviously doesn't equal a formal complaint but hypothetically if Lupul appealed this and a 3rd party deemed him medically cleared that would put the Leafs in a crap-load of trouble on cap circumvention, right?  Like lose a bunch of 1st round picks kind of bad.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 10:25:40 PM »