Author Topic: Jays Roster Discussion  (Read 34503 times)

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Jays Roster Discussion
« Reply #555 on: November 20, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »
Rob Refsnyder has been claimed off waivers by the Indians.
Not a bad thing, didn't work out in Toronto.

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 20, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »
Jays acquire middle infielder Gift Ngoepe from the Pirates for a PTBNL or cash. Ngoepe is the 2nd African-born player in MLB history, first in over a century.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 01, 2017, 11:03:16 PM »

Is this good?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 01, 2017, 11:20:49 PM »
Is this good?

If nothing else it's a pretty solid sign that there are doubts about Tulo's ability to be an everyday SS.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 02, 2017, 09:58:01 AM »
Diaz is solid insurance with the health issues plaguing Tulo and Travis. We saw last year that middle infield was a bit of a black hole production-wise at the plate after they went down with injuries.

The numbers that Diaz will put up with his bat should make up for what is lost defensively. It will be interesting to see where he fits into the order. St. Louis had him in the 2 spot quite a bit and the Jays definitely need to find a couple guys at the top of the order that can get on base and set the table for the big bats.

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 02, 2017, 03:45:31 PM »
The real problem for the Jays will be when both Tulo and Travis go down at the same time.  Keeping Goins would have been a nice insurance policy.

Actually what I would do if I were Atkins is trade Morales for a bag of pucks, then make Travis the DH.  That will help keep him on the field and keep his bat in the lineup.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 03, 2017, 08:01:38 AM »
There is one Blue Jay who is upset on the non-tender to Goins:

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 03, 2017, 08:43:53 AM »

I saw this yesterday and I am still unable to figure out whether Stroman is upset that HE only found out via twitter or that Goins only found out via twitter. It has to be the latter, right?

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 03, 2017, 09:04:36 AM »

I saw this yesterday and I am still unable to figure out whether Stroman is upset that HE only found out via twitter or that Goins only found out via twitter. It has to be the latter, right?

Nope.  For all Stroman's talent, he's a pretty big diva.  He holds grudges against reporters who question him.  He is in a big pissing match with Sanchez.  Stroman's one of those guys who blows up over a lot of little stuff.

As for moving on from Goins, he's not good so it isn't a big deal but I think it's important to remember that they replaced him with Gift Ngoepe.  A guy who is good defensively (like Goins) and is actually worse offensively.  So I'm not exactly sure that I understand the move from an organizational standpoint.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 03, 2017, 09:53:36 AM »
As for moving on from Goins, he's not good so it isn't a big deal but I think it's important to remember that they replaced him with Gift Ngoepe.  A guy who is good defensively (like Goins) and is actually worse offensively.  So I'm not exactly sure that I understand the move from an organizational standpoint.

I think it makes sense if you consider that with Travis, Tulo and Diaz around ideally Goins(or whoever) wouldn't even be on the big league club next year. So how much value does Goins have as a 30 year old AAA player?

And, yeah, the idea that you won't need a 4th middle infielder next year with the injury issues is pretty unlikely but if you do...Goins has been sub-replacement level the last two years. So if you do need a 4th middle infielder for any real playing time you probably can go out and get someone comparable for nothing so it seems like you're not really gaining or losing anything talent wise and getting a little younger.
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 03, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
I think it makes sense if you consider that with Travis, Tulo and Diaz around ideally Goins(or whoever) wouldn't even be on the big league club next year. So how much value does Goins have as a 30 year old AAA player?

Agreed. With Diaz in the fold, instead of a 4th middle infielder, the Jays need a utility player with more utility than Goins.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 03, 2017, 09:05:16 PM »

Agreed. With Diaz in the fold, instead of a 4th middle infielder, the Jays need a utility player with more utility than Goins.
The Jays already have Pearce for that.  What they need now is pitching and an outfielder.  I would also like a better DH than Morales.  I really think Travis should be the DH, in which case they should have kept Goins as their backup infielder, and just let Diaz play second base every day.

Morales should be traded.  The Jays will have to pay a portion of his salary to get rid of him but it will be worth it.

If the Jays can get a starting pitcher like Arrieta and a decent outfielder, they will have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.  From there who knows.  I'm sure they will keep Donaldson until the deadline and then make a decision.  They could wind up as buyers and then try to make another run like what AA did a couple of years ago.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 05, 2017, 05:13:14 AM »
I really think Travis should be the DH, in which case they should have kept Goins as their backup infielder, and just let Diaz play second base every day.

The thing about that, other than the fact that Goins is still eminently replaceable, is that if you move Travis to DH you might keep him healthy but his bat as a DH is much less valuable than it is as a reasonably defensively competent 2B. Consider that at 2.9 Travis' bWAR in 100 games in 2016 was just as valuable as Edwin Encarnacion's whole season last year hitting 38 homeruns and getting on base at a .377 clip.

So it's not the wrong move necessarily but I honestly think that if the team has even a shot at real playoff noise then they're going to need to hit the jackpot on some moves and hoping Travis can stay healthy at 2B might be one of those.
-Mark Twain

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 06, 2017, 05:19:40 PM »
Though not confirmed in earnest,  there is speculation that Rogers Communications (the owners of the Blue Jays) may sell it's interest in the team.

The company, in a bid to shed debt, free up much-needed capital, and a general change in it's investment infrastructure, could net an estimated $1.65B in a deal to divest itself of the baseball franchise,  but would still pursue a sports programming deal.  Rogers points to their 37.5% stake in MLSE as an example of it's broadcast rights.

For more on this story:
https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/12/06/why-a-blue-jays-sale-may-make-sense-for-rogers.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:23:00 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 09, 2017, 04:54:54 PM »
Stanton to the Yankees.  With Ohtani going to the Angels that’s going to make the playoffs pretty unlikely for the Jays.  Maybe time to reconsider trading Donaldson at this point.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #569 on: December 09, 2017, 04:54:54 PM »