Author Topic: Sochi Doping Scandal  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Sochi Doping Scandal
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 09:59:18 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/ioc-russia-doping-1.4432781

The International Olympic Committee has banned Russia from competing at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, following a vote on Tuesday.

However, it allows for individual Russian athletes "under strict conditions" to compete as an "Olympic Athlete from Russia [OAR]" without their national flag or anthem, according to a release from the IOC.

I would imagine it won't be long now before the KHL decides not to let their players compete in the Olympics. Hopefully the non-Russian players in the league are released to their respective national teams for the Olympics.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »

Came across this tweet that I thought captured the human side of this issue.

Of course, part of me wants to point out that we sort of need to examine what the Olympics are if Countries see a value in a state-sponsored doping program. If the Olympics weren't constantly being used as propaganda I don't think this would be an issue. As much as we might like to give Russia a hard time here what about just straight up giving cash incentives the way the Canadian Olympic Committee does? Why do we care if our shot-putters are better than other shot-putters? If putting up that cash actually leads to more medals is that fairly won vs. countries who can't afford that?

I just don't get what we gain from making sports about nationalism.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »