Author Topic: Phoenix Trade up to #1?  (Read 3769 times)

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Trade up to #1?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »
The problem is that the owner of the coyotes came out at the end of the season and said they are not trading oel for the pick or for anything else either.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2016, 03:03:35 PM »
The problem is that the owner of the coyotes came out at the end of the season and said they are not trading oel for the pick or for anything else either.

He already knows Matthews is theirs in 7 years!

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 04:44:50 PM »

You mean like Stamkos is ours this year?

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 03:54:54 PM »

You mean like Stamkos is ours this year?

You bet!   ;)

Online Bates

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2016, 04:17:39 PM »
Funny world this nhl. AZ fans swear they wouldn't give up Strome, Dvorak, and 7OA for Matthews and Leafs fans wouldn't accept that plus OEL.  Personally I don't see a trade that really fits either or a reason to seek out the trade from either.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »
Funny world this nhl. AZ fans swear they wouldn't give up Strome, Dvorak, and 7OA for Matthews and Leafs fans wouldn't accept that plus OEL.  Personally I don't see a trade that really fits either or a reason to seek out the trade from either.

I don't blame Arizona fans for that.  Strome has borderline elite level talent, but is most likely going to be a good or borderline 1st line center.  Dvorak has good 1st line center level talent, but is probably ends up being closer to a good 2nd line center.  7OA is right in the range of the top defensemen are expected to go in the draft, with first pairing potential. 

Its hard to give all that up for one player, even if he is most likely going to be the only ELITE level player out of the group, especially when the state of your prospects isn't strong once you've given all that up.

From the Leafs perspective, you need a truckload back to appease a fan base that has clamored for an Elite 1st line center for half a dozen years now.  That truckload would include the above plus OEL.

Agreed, there is no deal to be made here.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2016, 04:21:58 AM »
Coyotes GM Chayka in no mood for these rumours:

Speculation such as Arizona offering both of its own first-round picks (Nos. 7 and 20) plus either Max Domi or prospectChristian Dvorak (both London Knights teammates of Toronto’s Mitch Marner) to the Maple Leafs in exchange for the right to draft elite hometown prospect Auston Matthews first overall.

“I’m not exactly sure where people come up with this stuff. I personally find some of the reports that are out there are pretty ridiculous speculation,” the league’s youngest GM told Craig Morgan of ArizonaSports.com Tuesday.

“We’re still just in discussions, whether that means moving up or down, and up doesn’t even have to be No. 1.”

“What we’re really looking at it is, does this trade make your team better in the short term and in the long term?” he said, with an eye on his enviable crop of prospects. “We like our players a lot.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/auston-matthews-arizona-coyotes-nhl-draft-trade-rumour-toronto-maple-leafs-john-chayka-max-domi-christian-dvorak-hanzal/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:23:32 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2016, 08:50:02 AM »
Coyotes GM Chayka in no mood for these rumours:

Speculation such as Arizona offering both of its own first-round picks (Nos. 7 and 20) plus either Max Domi or prospectChristian Dvorak (both London Knights teammates of Toronto’s Mitch Marner) to the Maple Leafs in exchange for the right to draft elite hometown prospect Auston Matthews first overall.

“I’m not exactly sure where people come up with this stuff. I personally find some of the reports that are out there are pretty ridiculous speculation,” the league’s youngest GM told Craig Morgan of ArizonaSports.com Tuesday.

“We’re still just in discussions, whether that means moving up or down, and up doesn’t even have to be No. 1.”

“What we’re really looking at it is, does this trade make your team better in the short term and in the long term?” he said, with an eye on his enviable crop of prospects. “We like our players a lot.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/auston-matthews-arizona-coyotes-nhl-draft-trade-rumour-toronto-maple-leafs-john-chayka-max-domi-christian-dvorak-hanzal/

Not like any GM would admit he's trying to trade up to #1 though, well except Burke.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »

Maybe it's just me but that was one of the things I really liked about Burke. I don't think his efforts were damaged by that sort of forthrightness or anything and it made sense to try and trade up so why not say so?

Although, I guess, the answer to that question is that people criticized him for trying and failing rather than just saying nothing.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2016, 09:08:26 AM »

Although, I guess, the answer to that question is that people criticized him for trying and failing rather than just saying nothing.

I think that's exactly right.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2016, 09:10:14 AM »
I think that's exactly right.

Sure, but I live in hope of the day where the fanbase being stupid doesn't dictate the information we get.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2016, 09:10:14 AM »