Author Topic: 2016 NHL Draft Lottery  (Read 19771 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 NHL Draft Lottery
« Reply #255 on: May 02, 2016, 11:51:23 AM »
That said, he's right that incentivizing failure is awful for a league and he's further right that it's not something that should be praised exactly but that has nothing to do with the Leafs winning the pick this year.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 02, 2016, 12:06:53 PM »
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/jack-todd-draft-lottery-leaves-a-bad-smell-hovering-over-nhl

I smell butthurt.

That’s what the Toronto Maple Leafs did this year: they tanked. That Brendan Shanahan is being praised for tanking is so mind-bending, we won’t even go there. Somehow, even with the lottery percentages altered to give the league’s worst team only a 20 per cent shot at the top pick, the Leafs still beat 5-to-1 odds to waltz away with the chance to draft Auston Matthews.

This may a little in the nitpicking realm of things, but, the odds were 4-to-1, not 5-to-1. Yes, the Leafs beat the odds, but, any team that could have won any of the three lottery would have had to beat the odds to do so.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 02, 2016, 12:31:29 PM »
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/jack-todd-draft-lottery-leaves-a-bad-smell-hovering-over-nhl

I smell butthurt.

That’s what the Toronto Maple Leafs did this year: they tanked. That Brendan Shanahan is being praised for tanking is so mind-bending, we won’t even go there. Somehow, even with the lottery percentages altered to give the league’s worst team only a 20 per cent shot at the top pick, the Leafs still beat 5-to-1 odds to waltz away with the chance to draft Auston Matthews.

This may a little in the nitpicking realm of things, but, the odds were 4-to-1, not 5-to-1. Yes, the Leafs beat the odds, but, any team that could have won any of the three lottery would have had to beat the odds to do so.

LOL. You are correct.

Offline Bill_Berg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 02, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
That said, he's right that incentivizing failure is awful for a league and he's further right that it's not something that should be praised exactly but that has nothing to do with the Leafs winning the pick this year.

Hopefully they make it even odds next year so that if the Leafs miss the playoffs by 1 point, there's still a chance they'll get the first overall pick. And if they were to get that pick in such a way, the rants out of Montreal will be sweet, sweet music.

Offline KGB

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 02, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »
Please stop it with the "tank" crap.  Not once did the Leafs show up at the rink this year trying to lose.  There were lots of considerations that went into the various roster moves of the last 12 months, some of them fiduciary, some of them personal, and all of them geared toward engendering consistent success in the (hopefully near-term) future.  What the Leafs did -- and the Sabres did last year -- is an example of how most smart people run their business.  Short term pain for long term gain.  There's nothing untoward about it.  Yes, Jack Todd, the Leafs are trying to win.  They're just not doing it the way you'd like, which, I'm guessing, happens to involve a bit more losing.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 02, 2016, 02:12:25 PM »
Please stop it with the "tank" crap.  Not once did the Leafs show up at the rink this year trying to lose.  There were lots of considerations that went into the various roster moves of the last 12 months, some of them fiduciary, some of them personal, and all of them geared toward engendering consistent success in the (hopefully near-term) future.  What the Leafs did -- and the Sabres did last year -- is an example of how most smart people run their business.  Short term pain for long term gain.  There's nothing untoward about it.  Yes, Jack Todd, the Leafs are trying to win.  They're just not doing it the way you'd like, which, I'm guessing, happens to involve a bit more losing.

I don't think he can hear you. :)

Offline lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 02, 2016, 03:45:57 PM »

I bet he got beaten up at bus stops a lot while he was growing up.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »
I wonder if Bettman has suggested to Shanahan to seek a trade of the 1st overall to Phoenix as yet?   ???

It just seems so obvious that Matthews is needed by the Coyotes to be a draw to fill their arena.    ;)

I'm still in shock that we won the lottery.  :o

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 04, 2016, 10:34:39 AM »
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--raptors-set-record--but-still-can-t-top-nhl-draft-lottery-200837118.html

1. NHL, Draft Lottery, Saturday, CBC: 1,570,000
2. NBA, Pacers at Raptors, Sunday, Sportsnet: 1,530,000

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 09, 2016, 04:26:59 PM »
We won the friken lottery!  I'm still in shock!   :o

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #264 on: May 09, 2016, 04:26:59 PM »