Author Topic: Potential Expansion Draft Rules  (Read 8423 times)

Online Bates

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Expansion Draft Rules
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »
Next CBA will have a mandated off day after every game played in Vegas.  Home game points alone should make the Vegas team competitive points wise.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
Next CBA will have a mandated off day after every game played in Vegas.  Home game points alone should make the Vegas team competitive points wise.

Provided all the players on the Vegas team don't crash and burn themselves.

Although for what it's worth I've always thought that element is overblown. I've been to both cities and there's really nothing you can do in Vegas you can't do in New York.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 06:47:11 PM »

Provided all the players on the Vegas team don't crash and burn themselves.

Although for what it's worth I've always thought that element is overblown. I've been to both cities and there's really nothing you can do in Vegas you can't do in New York.

Is there anything else to do in Vegas?

Online Bates

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
Really Vegas won't be that different than any other City after a couple visits.  It will be a rink and a hotel.  And the local guys will live in a normal hood like they do in any other nhl city.  But year one all bets are off!!

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »
Is there anything else to do in Vegas?

I saw Penn and Teller's show. That was pretty cool.
-Mark Twain

Online Bates

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 06:58:04 PM »
I go to Vegas fairly regularly and I don't gamble or party.  There is so much to do there with shows, concerts, restaurants,  etc...

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 07:08:08 PM »

Either way, I'm pretty sure that the reason that visiting players in New York didn't lose their mind getting wasted wasn't the thriving theatre scene or the first-rate symphony.
-Mark Twain

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 07:40:19 PM »
Either way, I'm pretty sure that the reason that visiting players in New York didn't lose their mind getting wasted wasn't the thriving theatre scene or the first-rate symphony.

It's almost like these guys are professionals.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Bates

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 08:09:53 PM »
Vast majority are but there are still some Robiero's and Radulov's around.  But every City offers them the same temptation that Vegas does.

It's almost like these guys are professionals.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 03:58:50 AM »
The Las Vegas Knights (without the word Black) sounds best.  Not too long, not too short.

If it the article rings true, then let it be.  Viva Las Vegas!

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 08:27:34 AM »
The Las Vegas Knights (without the word Black) sounds best.  Not too long, not too short.

If it the article rings true, then let it be.  Viva Las Vegas!

Has to be the Las Vegas Aces, doesn't it?
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 09:25:58 AM »
Chris Johnson had an update on the expansion draft rules last week, doesn't seem like it was posted here yet: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-teams-receiving-information-potential-expansion-draft/

A minimum of two forwards and one defenceman must be exposed who have played 40 games the previous season, or a total of 70 over the previous two.

There is also a requirement that the 40/70 players are under contract for the first expansion season.

Players holding no-movement clauses including those modified by limited no-trades, such as Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury count against the protection limit, provided that those contracts and clauses extend through the 2017-18 season.

However, players with no-movement clauses on deals that expire June 30, 2017 like Calgary Flames defenceman Dennis Wideman or Minnesota Wild forward Thomas Vanek wouldn't have to be protected for a draft that is likely to be held a week or two beforehand.

Teams will also be permitted to ask players to waive their no-movement clauses for inclusion in the expansion draft.

Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

Earlier it was said that Nylander would have to be protected, but this reading of the rule would suggest that he'll be exempt. It's basically the same way they decide if a contract slides or not. Nylander's first season in the AHL as a 19-year old wouldn't count.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 09:36:54 AM »
I'm not fond of the fact that the NHL is going to make it easier for the new franchise to be competitive much earlier than what it usually takes for an expansion team.  Screw that -- they should suffer for a few years at the bottom of the league and spend that time building up their talent pool.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 09:42:43 AM »
I'm not fond of the fact that the NHL is going to make it easier for the new franchise to be competitive much earlier than what it usually takes for an expansion team.  Screw that -- they should suffer for a few years at the bottom of the league and spend that time building up their talent pool.

I'd be pretty surprised if Vegas isn't a bottom-3 team in their first season. That GP requirement doesn't really mean much. They're still not going to have a single 1st line forward or top pairing defenceman (unless they find one in free agency).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:57:27 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 09:42:58 AM »
Earlier it was said that Nylander would have to be protected, but this reading of the rule would suggest that he'll be exempt. It's basically the same way they decide if a contract slides or not. Nylander's first season in the AHL as a 19-year old wouldn't count.

It does mean that Brown and Leipsic would have to be protected, though - but, Horton will almost certainly be willing to waive his NMC.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 09:42:58 AM »