Author Topic: Who's going to be the next Leafs captain, and when?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Who's going to be the next Leafs captain, and when?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 04:44:02 PM »
If the team feels that it needs to have a captain next season it wouldn't shock me if it was Brooks Laich. The Devils had Bryce Salvador as their captain for 3 years so it wouldn't be the first time a team GM'd by Lou named a fringe-ish veteran their captain instead of going with 3 alternates.

Well, in terms of fulfilling the on-ice duties of a captain, a veteran like Laich isn't necessarily a bad choice. I'd be comfortable naming him as one of the alternates for next season.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 04:59:59 PM »
If the team feels that it needs to have a captain next season it wouldn't shock me if it was Brooks Laich. The Devils had Bryce Salvador as their captain for 3 years so it wouldn't be the first time a team GM'd by Lou named a fringe-ish veteran their captain instead of going with 3 alternates.

I think though that it's the three seasons there that matters. I think the only reason you would ever really "need" a Captain is to maybe establish some sort of continuity and gravitas among the team's leadership and to that end it seems counter-productive to go with someone who, ideally, would only be on the team 3-4 months(and would almost certainly be gone in a year).

Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 06:20:20 PM »
Captain = SS
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline McGarnagle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 07:33:57 PM »
Perhaps they should take a player like Komorov, who has some value, make him captain, and see if value goes higher at the next trade deadline. Then shampoo, rinse, repeat for the next 2 seasons with different trade chips.
=???
=Profit!

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 02:06:48 PM »
The piano.  :D

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 02:06:48 PM »