Author Topic: The End Of The Bill Watters Show?  (Read 10604 times)

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The End Of The Bill Watters Show?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
My problem with Wilbur is two-fold,  probably like many who listen to him?

1. He can't get over being axed by the Leafs, so he has to look for every opportunity turn even positives into negatives. LIke an Opposition Leader who can never say anything complimentary about a Governing Party's budget, even if there are some good things. Case in point, Franson. He kept insisting he had to have some kind of defect for Nashville to let the Leafs have him. The inference was that it will eventually prove to be another bad deal. Like it is not possible for the Leafs to make a good deal.

2. He sucks up to his guests on air, and then cuts them down later. Franson is just one example.

I'd agree, and add that his status as an insider of sorts has almost entirely vanished with time.  I really also get the sense he doesn't watch or follow much variety or volume of hockey anymore, other than the Leafs and the big headlines.

But Arlene Bynon...?  Man, 640 is really throwing in the towel on that time slot.

In his earlier years, he hopped around the hockey world - attending the drafts, watching games, scouting kids, etc. He was fairly knowledgeable though I get the sense he was always a bit of a salesman BSer type. Since he was let go by the Leafs, what has he done? He got involved with lacrosse or dabbled with the CFL and other stuff but I think he got lazy and stepped away from hockey, hanging out at his cottage to do some of his radio work remotely and take it easy.

He's 68 so he's entitled to semi-retirement but he can't blame a radio station for not wanting to perpetuate something going stale in part because he wasn't really on the beat anymore.

His bitterness about being let go by the Leafs never subsided much and it became kind of grating to listen to because even in his final years with Quinn, I didn't get the sense he was working his tail off. And I think they caught him leaking stuff to the media/babbling too much to the media (that's vague opinion as I can't recall if we proved that or just heavily suspected it).

What he or his show deserves some credit for is their lineup of hockey guests:
http://www.640toronto.com/hostsandshows/leafslunch/podcast.aspx
(middle of the page)
It's not a bad list for getting a daily radio dose for your hockey fix without having to hear about too many other sports and it's riddled with Leafs interviews.
I'll miss that if no one picks up the slack while realizing FAN590 gets it's share and TSN radio is starting to deliver them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:43:02 PM by cw »

Offline Sudafederov

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 07:55:41 PM »
My problem with Wilbur is two-fold,  probably like many who listen to him?

1. He can't get over being axed by the Leafs, so he has to look for every opportunity turn even positives into negatives. LIke an Opposition Leader who can never say anything complimentary about a Governing Party's budget, even if there are some good things. Case in point, Franson. He kept insisting he had to have some kind of defect for Nashville to let the Leafs have him. The inference was that it will eventually prove to be another bad deal. Like it is not possible for the Leafs to make a good deal.

2. He sucks up to his guests on air, and then cuts them down later. Franson is just one example.

I'd agree, and add that his status as an insider of sorts has almost entirely vanished with time.  I really also get the sense he doesn't watch or follow much variety or volume of hockey anymore, other than the Leafs and the big headlines.

But Arlene Bynon...?  Man, 640 is really throwing in the towel on that time slot.

hanging out at his cottage to do some of his radio work remotely and take it easy.

There were a couple of funny times where Dreger was hosting, giving a lengthy opinion, and then he'd throw it over to Watters only to be greeted with dead air.  You could tell Watters was working remotely, and had stepped out of the room for a second while the show was going on.

I doubt Sportsnet would rehire Watters, but a Marek reunion would be good to see.  I hope they have big things planned for Marek.

I think Wilbur was out of the loop on the Franson thing.  I think most had determined that Burke was able to pull that deal because of an insurance issue with Lombardi, but I remember Watters saying something that made it obvious he wasn't aware of that detail.  He wrongly concluded that there must be something wrong with Franson instead.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:03:20 PM by Sudafederov »

Offline the dingo ate my baby

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 01:03:45 AM »
Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey....

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 09:18:16 AM »
so, did it end?

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »
so, did it end?

Don't know for sure if he became a "15th of July Unemployment Parade Guy" but it looks like it. Haven't seen anything beyond the top article posted in the media. I did see this twitter exchange:

http://twitter.com/#!/HoopKen/status/91235236494573568
@HoopKen
Ken Hooper
@Proteautype thoughts on Bill Watters imminent departure from Toronto airwaves Adam? #toronto #leafs
13 Jul via web Favorite Retweet Reply

http://twitter.com/#!/Proteautype/status/91235794244747264
@Proteautype
Adam Proteau (Hockey News)
@HoopKen Bill has always treated me well. Can't say I liked the July 3rd remark at all. He's had a good run, though.
13 Jul via TweetDeck Favorite Retweet Reply

@mlse
Pension Plan Puppets
@wyshynski @felixpotvin most of the pushback is shock that anyone would dare to question what he said even if it was a slur

http://twitter.com/#!/HoopKen/status/91237385114886144
@HoopKen
Ken Hooper
@mlse Good on you guys for holding his feet to the fire on this one. Very serious misstep here Wibur. Wonder if Burke weighs in. #Leafs
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:14:19 AM by cw »

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »
One other reinforcing thought:

I've read more than once that Watters was being paid a lot of dough relative to others in radio to work for AM640. Watters ratings have apparently slipped substantially since entering into that deal. TSN radio getting underway puts more heat on AM640 - slicing away more hockey fans from their audience. There's probably going to be quite a bidding war when the contract for broadcasting Leafs games comes up for renewal next year (or not much of one if Rogers buys MLSE) .

January article: Is AM640 Toronto Getting Out of the Sports Business?
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/640-toronto-sports-business/10032
A number of independent sources are telling me that high level decisions are being made at AM640 Toronto to wave the white flag to sports programming.  This, I am told, could very well include the end of the Bill Watters Show.

One source also indicates that AM640 may even forgo its final season as the play-by-play home of Toronto Maple Leafs hockey.

There are several reasons for this change. I am told that executives at AM640 realize the stations isn’t going to renew radio rights for the Maple Leafs once its contract is up.  In addition to the poor ratings of the Bill Watters Show and Keith Pelley’s move to Rogers, there is still the idea that Rogers can acquire Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan shares of MLSE and the establishment of TSN Radio.

There's bound to be a clause in Watters contract that gives AM640 an out should he say something outrageous or offensive to their audience. Clearly, on July 4th, Bill did say something offensive. AM640 probably just saved themselves close to a year of Bill's big contract.

Without Bill's contract, maybe they'll now proceed to sell their last year of broadcasting Leafs games to one of their rivals and further cut their losses while moving on to further establish their direction in the broadcasting market of (apparently non sports) talk radio that appears to be their future.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:56:59 AM by cw »

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »

There's bound to be a clause in Watters contract that gives AM640 an out should he say something outrageous or offensive to their audience. Clearly, on July 4th, Bill did say something offensive. AM640 probably just saved themselves close to a year of Bill's big contract.

okay, I missed that. What did he say? (and I'm asking 'what' did he say, not 'where's the link to what he said' here, just to be clear) please?

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2011, 02:50:21 PM »

okay, I missed that. What did he say? (and I'm asking 'what' did he say, not 'where's the link to what he said' here, just to be clear) please?

Said Cody Franson wasn't a tough player and more of a "3rd of july parade" kind of play.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2011, 09:55:35 PM »

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2011/7/13/2273411/pan-the-parade
"Well, I’m at a loss. The only… you’ve got to look through his statistics, he’s got some offensive flair, he is not what you would call a rugged, truculent, testosteronic, guy… He’s more of a 3rd of July parade guy. He likes to enjoy the good life and I don’t, I just can’t put a reason behind why you’d give up on a 6’5 defenceman with offensive skill unless he’s just a bit too soft."

- Bill Watters – The Bill Watters Show – July 4, 2011

The Toronto (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender) Pride Parade took place on July 3 this year.

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2011, 10:25:46 PM »
wow, Wilbur that was.......idiotic.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2011, 10:44:36 AM »
so, did it end?

Don't know for sure if he became a "15th of July Unemployment Parade Guy" but it looks like it. Haven't seen anything beyond the top article posted in the media. I did see this twitter exchange:

@HoopKen
Ken Hooper
@Proteautype thoughts on Bill Watters imminent departure from Toronto airwaves Adam? #toronto #leafs

@Proteautype
@HoopKen Bill has always treated me well. Can't say I liked the July 3rd remark at all. He's had a good run, though.

@mlse
Pension Plan Puppets
@wyshynski @felixpotvin most of the pushback is shock that anyone would dare to question what he said even if it was a slur

@HoopKen
Ken Hooper
@mlse Good on you guys for holding his feet to the fire on this one. Very serious misstep here Wibur. Wonder if Burke weighs in. #Leafs

ON the am640 website they are now showing another host for the afternoon drive show.  the rumored replacement, Arlyne Bynon is now in his show's place.

http://www.640toronto.com/

I guess that's that.

I saw all the twitter noise last week. It was interesting to see who chimed in.  Several of his peers were quite curt in their opinions of him.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
so, did it end?

@HoopKen
Ken Hooper

@Proteautype

@mlse
Pension Plan Puppets

@HoopKen
Ken Hooper

ON the am640 website they are now showing another host for the afternoon drive show.  the rumored replacement, Arlyne Bynon is now in his show's place.

http://www.640toronto.com/

I guess that's that.

I saw all the twitter noise last week. It was interesting to see who chimed in.  Several of his peers were quite curt in their opinions of him.

Yep

But he's not totally gone:

Here's the text:

http://www.640toronto.com/HostsandShows/ArleneBynon/PressRelease.aspx
(July 18, 2011 – Toronto, Canada) Talk Radio AM640 is pleased to announce that award-winning Canadian journalist Arlene Bynon is the new afternoon drive host starting today. The Arlene Bynon Show can be heard weekdays from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and will provide listeners with an interactive forum for debate and discussion on topics that matter, feature exclusive interviews with today’s newsmakers and deliver a daily recap of current affairs
Bill Watters will continue to share his vast knowledge of the Toronto Maple Leafs and all things hockey related weekday mornings on The John Oakley Show as well as all season long during all AM640 Toronto Maple Leaf pre-game shows. Talk Radio AM640 is also proud to be Toronto’s “Home of The Leafs” as the official play-by-play broadcaster. With a stellar lineup of veteran hockey broadcasters including Bill Watters, AM640 is the city’s number one source for Leaf Hockey Talk.

I'd suspect Bill took a financial haircut/brushcut ...

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »
Arlene freakin' Whine-on.....

Admittedly I don't listen to the radio much in the afternoon anyway (I'm a morning listener, they better not mess with my Mike Stafford fix!)..... But just in case, who's on TSN radio and Sportsnet radio in the afternoon, and where on the dial do I find them?

John Tory, CFRB 1010 is looking better and better, if I'm an afternoon listener.

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 12:26:01 PM »
Arlene freakin' Whine-on.....

Admittedly I don't listen to the radio much in the afternoon anyway (I'm a morning listener, they better not mess with my Mike Stafford fix!)..... But just in case, who's on TSN radio and Sportsnet radio in the afternoon, and where on the dial do I find them?

John Tory, CFRB 1010 is looking better and better, if I'm an afternoon listener.

I know right...

I get that it's uber-pro conservative radio (especially now that Downs isn't there anymore), but at least Oakley and Stafford make the effort to at least seem somewhat impartial, and will ask people good counter questions even if they agree with them.  Bynon is just...ugh.

Oakley/Stafford are the network's Bill O'Reily; respected journalist whom you may not agree with politically, but at least he's willing to listen to a counterpoint.  Bynon is Glenn Beck; ideological blowhard who will try and outshout you until you agree with them...

Anyhoo, I'm rambling.  Watters still has a job, eh?  So he's still free to bash Cody Franson, just before games now?  Ugh.  I really hope TSN picks up the rights when they're up for bid next year...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:27:38 PM by louisstamos »

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2011, 12:45:12 PM »
I really hope TSN picks up the rights when they're up for bid next year...

I doubt AM640 will make a serious bid next year. TSN and Sportsnet will.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2011, 12:45:12 PM »