Author Topic: The End Of The Bill Watters Show?  (Read 10605 times)

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: The End Of The Bill Watters Show?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 07:57:49 AM »
Wow. I just read what he said. - What an old, crusty douche-nozzle.

Offline Derk

• Veteran
  • Robble
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »
Yeah, that was a pretty ignorant thing to say. I hope he is taken to task for it.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »

Offline Derk

• Veteran
  • Robble
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 01:31:48 PM »

Offline Mike In New York City

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 06:58:19 AM »
I really hope that the show isn't going off. I've been enjoying listening to Watters for many years and I really like the show now that Jim Ralph is on it.

The two daily hosts that I don't want to see off the air are Watters and Gord Stellick. I'm really glad that Gord is back regularly on the Fan.
Regular on Andy Frost's Leaf Talk since 2001.

Online lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
Cryptic comment from Tony Gallagher on Watter's show - the link will be on the 1040 website - he commented
that the fact that he's on Bill's show is "short-lived" etc. And I know that they would keep him on his show so...
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »
I really hope that the show isn't going off. I've been enjoying listening to Watters for many years and I really like the show now that Jim Ralph is on it.

The two daily hosts that I don't want to see off the air are Watters and Gord Stellick. I'm really glad that Gord is back regularly on the Fan.
I like Watters a lot more then McClown.....Ralph has added greatly to the show......Same goes for Stellick...The Fan blew it dumping him.
Cryptic comment from Tony Gallagher on Watter's show - the link will be on the 1040 website - he commented
that the fact that he's on Bill's show is "short-lived" etc. And I know that they would keep him on his show so...
Tony was just saying how he was going to miss "you guys", so I guess we know it's over. Too bad, IMO.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 06:24:58 PM »
Some places where they used to reference his show on AM640's site have been edited out ... as I guess they broadcast the last few minutes of the show.

Don't let the blog hit you on the way out, Billy!  :)

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »
Bynon?

oh gawd why.  Admittedly, I haven't listened to Watters regularly since Marek left. But I can't STAND Arlene Whine-on. Good gawd what are they THINKING? My favourite on 640 is Stafford, and I just shut it off whenever he's away/sick/off for some reason and she's in his place.

Watters can't carry the show on his own anyway, but I tend to agree with those who have said there's really not enough room around for three drive time sports shows on the radio....

Offline slapshot

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 07:07:07 PM »
My problem with Wilbur is two-fold,  probably like many who listen to him?

1. He can't get over being axed by the Leafs, so he has to look for every opportunity turn even positives into negatives. LIke an Opposition Leader who can never say anything complimentary about a Governing Party's budget, even if there are some good things. Case in point, Franson. He kept insisting he had to have some kind of defect for Nashville to let the Leafs have him. The inference was that it will eventually prove to be another bad deal. Like it is not possible for the Leafs to make a good deal.

2. He sucks up to his guests on air, and then cuts them down later. Franson is just one example.

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
I missed getting home in time to hear the end of the show tonight.

Was tonight the last show? I sure hope not.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »
I missed getting home in time to hear the end of the show tonight.

Was tonight the last show? I sure hope not.

There was no goodbye at the end.

Ralph asked what Bill was going to be up to. Watters said he was going on vacation for a few (or couple of) weeks. Ralph said something like "I guess I'll be talking with you sometime" to Bill. That was kind of it. (the gist of it)

There used to be a "box" for the Bill Watters show on this page:
http://www.640toronto.com/HomeOfTheLeafs/
but it's gone as are the links on the LHS. There is still a link at the top.

On the hosts and blogs page:
http://www.640toronto.com/Landing/HostsandShows.aspx
he's no longer listed.

Looks like he's on his way out from the site changes but they didn't confirm it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:22:00 PM by cw »

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »

1. He can't get over being axed by the Leafs, so he has to look for every opportunity turn even positives into negatives. LIke an Opposition Leader who can never say anything complimentary about a Governing Party's budget, even if there are some good things. Case in point, Franson. He kept insisting he had to have some kind of defect for Nashville to let the Leafs have him. The inference was that it will eventually prove to be another bad deal. Like it is not possible for the Leafs to make a good deal.

2. He sucks up to his guests on air, and then cuts them down later. Franson is just one example.

I'd agree, and add that his status as an insider of sorts has almost entirely vanished with time.  I really also get the sense he doesn't watch or follow much variety or volume of hockey anymore, other than the Leafs and the big headlines.

But Arlene Bynon...?  Man, 640 is really throwing in the towel on that time slot.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »

I'd agree, and add that his status as an insider of sorts has almost entirely vanished with time.  I really also get the sense he doesn't watch or follow much variety or volume of hockey anymore, other than the Leafs and the big headlines.

But Arlene Bynon...?  Man, 640 is really throwing in the towel on that time slot.

Again, I really want to see Wilbur stay. But if not, I wish they would just keep Jim Ralph on in the timeslot and try to find him a hockey co-host.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »