Author Topic: October 17. 2018. Legalized Pot Day  (Read 850 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: October 17. 2018. Legalized Pot Day
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 10:20:56 PM »

Shockingly, a government that sees its own incompetence as a selling point seems to have bungled this whole roll out.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 05:55:30 PM »

So I'm sure this isn't super interesting to anyone but me but to expand on what I said above, it looks like the provincial Conservatives, and specifically the way they changed the Liberal's plans for this rollout, hasn't gone very well. Leaving aside the processing delays, it looks like they badly underestimated the demand and as a result the online store now has significantly fewer products than it did when I bought mine.

Sure, I could chalk that up to just garden variety incompetence but I think it maybe hints at a larger issue within Conservatism in general as a political concept.

Because Conservative thought tends to one that is resistant to change or that is inherently suspicious of change I think it often falls into the trap of wanting an ever-changing world to adapt to its view of what is good and right rather than vice-versa. To Conservative thinkers, I think they see this is as a sort of admirable constancy rather than simply following the direction the wind is blowing.

The problem though, as we've seen in various ways, is that this means they're often out of step with what the values of what the world are. This is why I think traditional conservatism is getting rolled up by populism. In democratic societies, there's only so much hay you can make out of telling people they're wrong and their values lead to bad governing before they don't let you govern any more.

What we tend to then see up here is that in a country that's been Majority Left-Of-Conservative for 30 years, Conservatives tend to govern by denying what people's views often are in favour of acting like they have a popular mandate.

So, assuming they're acting in good faith rather than engaging in some sort of sabotage, I think this bungled roll out is a result of their thinking that because they didn't think Marijuana should be legal recreationally or think people liked it, that the demand didn't exist. Hence not just a lack of Cannabis, which I guess you could argue might be hard to keep in supply regardless, but also a lack of accessories which weren't even illegal to purchase pre-legalization of the drug itself.

TL; DR The OCS rollout has gone badly, in part because I think Conservatives need to lie about the world as it is to maintain their political outlook.
-Mark Twain

Offline Bill_Berg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 06:21:46 PM »
I'll pay attention when there is a store in Ontario I can go to.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2018, 06:40:21 PM »
I'll pay attention when there is a store in Ontario I can go to.

Yes. Although many people said it at the time, it's clear that the decision to scrap physical OCS locations was one more concerned with ideology than effective service.
-Mark Twain

Offline AtomicMapleLeaf

• Prospect
  • Leaf Fan in Los Alamos, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »

So I'm sure this isn't super interesting to anyone but me but to expand on what I said above, it looks like the provincial Conservatives, and specifically the way they changed the Liberal's plans for this rollout, hasn't gone very well. Leaving aside the processing delays, it looks like they badly underestimated the demand and as a result the online store now has significantly fewer products than it did when I bought mine.

Sure, I could chalk that up to just garden variety incompetence but I think it maybe hints at a larger issue within Conservatism in general as a political concept.

Because Conservative thought tends to one that is resistant to change or that is inherently suspicious of change I think it often falls into the trap of wanting an ever-changing world to adapt to its view of what is good and right rather than vice-versa. To Conservative thinkers, I think they see this is as a sort of admirable constancy rather than simply following the direction the wind is blowing.

The problem though, as we've seen in various ways, is that this means they're often out of step with what the values of what the world are. This is why I think traditional conservatism is getting rolled up by populism. In democratic societies, there's only so much hay you can make out of telling people they're wrong and their values lead to bad governing before they don't let you govern any more.

What we tend to then see up here is that in a country that's been Majority Left-Of-Conservative for 30 years, Conservatives tend to govern by denying what people's views often are in favour of acting like they have a popular mandate.

So, assuming they're acting in good faith rather than engaging in some sort of sabotage, I think this bungled roll out is a result of their thinking that because they didn't think Marijuana should be legal recreationally or think people liked it, that the demand didn't exist. Hence not just a lack of Cannabis, which I guess you could argue might be hard to keep in supply regardless, but also a lack of accessories which weren't even illegal to purchase pre-legalization of the drug itself.

TL; DR The OCS rollout has gone badly, in part because I think Conservatives need to lie about the world as it is to maintain their political outlook.

You could say the same thing regarding the ACA (ObamaCare) here in the States.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »