Author Topic: John Tavares a Leaf in 2018?  (Read 7409 times)

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
John Tavares a Leaf in 2018?
« on: February 18, 2016, 06:01:08 AM »
According to New York Post writer Larry Brooks, New York Islanders captain John Tavares may very well become a Toronto Maple Leaf in the year 2018.

Tavares, who's in his fourth year of a six year contract at $5.5M/Y, is frustrated with the Islanders state of affairs.  Firstly, the Islanders play at the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn, but practice in Long Island.  The commute is said to be tiring and many of the players including Tavares, are fed up of this arrangement.  There is currently no practice facility for the hockey team in Brooklyn, strange as it all sounds.

Secondly, considering that the Islanders haven't made much stride in their quest to advance in the playoffs (their early exit last season) and there's no telling how they will fare this post-season neither. 

With Tavares becoming an impending UFA in two years, the thought of him being signed by the Leafs will surely make many fans happy, even though Tavares will be all of 27 by then, but certainly a good addition to a Leaf team that may begin to blossom into a competitive unit.

Who knows?  We'll see.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/13/why-brooklyn-frustrated-john-tavares-could-bolt-to-leafs-in-18/

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Tavares a Leaf in 2018?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:00:33 AM »
Yes please.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 09:13:10 AM »
I'm also queuing up the Subban and McDavid rumours because Mike Babcock said he will make Toronto a safe place and players from the GTA will want to come back.

Larry Brooks is the NYP writer for the Rangers. I think he's just lobbing a flashbang into the Islander's territory and he knows that mentioning Toronto will generate traction even though it is all unsubstantiated speculation.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 09:48:16 AM »

Yeah, this doesn't seem like anything other than the "Player X is from Ontario, you know what else is in Ontario? The Leafs!" stuff we've probably heard about 95% of local players.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 09:49:28 AM »
My dad told me he's signing with the Leafs guys, book it.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 10:23:47 AM »
The question is, will a 27 soon to be 28-year old whose best days may be behind him fit well within the team's building strategy consisting of a bunch of 19- to 22-year olds?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 10:28:29 AM »
Ugh. Another two year "will he or won't he?" Lovely.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »
That being said...

Top GTA players to bring home from up to 2 jurisdictions outside of Toronto and of a vintage that they'd be useful to Toronto in our projected timeframe of success:
  • McDavid
  • Tavares
  • Subban
  • Seguin
  • Stamkos

Did I forget anyone?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:40:13 AM by herman »

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:40:02 AM »
The question is, will a 27 soon to be 28-year old whose best days may be behind him fit well within the team's building strategy consisting of a bunch of 19- to 22-year olds?

Its not a bad backup plan if the rebuild doesn't get off the ground. What would the oilers do if they had Stamkos and Tavares banging at the door I wonder?
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »

Isn't McDavid from Newmarket? Cause I feel like we're already pushing it with Markham.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 10:50:45 AM »

Isn't McDavid from Newmarket? Cause I feel like we're already pushing it with Markham.

There's an exemption allowed for players who grew up with Leafs posters in their room.

But all that's still in the GTA.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:52:18 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 11:16:23 AM »
Didn't P.K sign a giant extension with Montreal relatively recently?  Is there talk about them trading him, or are we talking about him signing as a UFA in 2022 or whenever it would be.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 11:18:50 AM »
Didn't P.K sign a giant extension with Montreal relatively recently?  Is there talk about them trading him, or are we talking about him signing as a UFA in 2022 or whenever it would be.

Not until after Tavares doesn't hit UFA status or doesn't sign with the Leafs.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 11:21:29 AM »
Jeezus, lets not start this shit... ::)

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »

Not until after Tavares doesn't hit UFA status or doesn't sign with the Leafs.

Not necessarily. Subban was benched in the final minute of last night's game. The Leafs will have first shot once the Habs waive him.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »