Author Topic: The Trade Deadline and the Goalie Issue  (Read 4446 times)

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: The Trade Deadline and the Goalie Issue
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 08:31:39 PM »
Busta, they were willing to risk their handsome Ukrainian faces to hard shots, where the new Goalies look for the most part like ad guys? Oh, forgot that Sawchuck had the mask. LOL

They played 50 years ago. If that was a trend, it has long since ended.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 10:58:18 PM »
Come on Loungo is 36 now. Johnny B was 44 in 67, Sawchuck was 38. Goalies come into their age older than any other player on the team. Why not Reimer who has proven this at every level?

Hasek wasn't a number one until he was in his 30s. I agree with you Highlander

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 11:38:05 PM »
Reimer has never started more than 35 or so games in any given season. I worry about his durability based on his past, and his consistency as he hasn't strung enough strong play together to trust his numbers this season. I may be wrong, but I just don't think he's the answer. Especially if he gets $4-5 M/season.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 11:40:41 PM »
Come on Loungo is 36 now. Johnny B was 44 in 67, Sawchuck was 38. Goalies come into their age older than any other player on the team. Why not Reimer who has proven this at every level?

Hasek was 28 going into the season in which he first took a #1 role and also won his first Vezina Trophy.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 11:49:41 PM »

Hasek was 28 going into the season in which he first took a #1 role and also won his first Vezina Trophy.

And Luongo was a starter in his 2nd season in the NHL at the age of 21, not sure what his current age has to do with anything.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 01:01:00 AM »

If there's one thing people tend to say about Dominik Hasek it's how ordinary a goalie he was and how typical a career he had.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 04:26:49 PM »
I would like to see Reimer stay a Leaf.  If they can work out a a contract with low cap hit and a low term, then it'd be worth keeping Reimer onboard.  He'd still be a serviceable goaltender this way while the youngsters will eventually be given the. opportunity to begin their ascendancy on the big club.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:28:21 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 12:49:55 AM »
Yeah I like Reimer, having a great season apart from the injury. Super numbers. Apparently he's been working on tracking the puck and I think he's even improved. But does he factor in long-term? Probably not. He deserves Bernier's contract, around $4.5, but I don't think he'll get it.

Lou and Babs will just keep doing what they're doing: pump the tires up and then maximize the return in picks/prospects. Who knows what this team will look like next year, after the deadline and the summer. Or 3 years.

What is fun is that we have something to talk about: a competent rebuild through the draft by experienced management, rather than the annual tradition of miss playoffs/sign and re-sign at inflated prices. Repeat. JFJ. Burke. Nonis.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:00:32 AM by disco »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 07:09:53 AM »
If Reimer is ok in sign a 2 year deal or a 1 year deal would be better for the Leafs.
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 07:54:06 AM »
Reimer has never started more than 35 or so games in any given season. I worry about his durability based on his past, and his consistency as he hasn't strung enough strong play together to trust his numbers this season. I may be wrong, but I just don't think he's the answer. Especially if he gets $4-5 M/season.

This is sort of what I have been thinking.. his play as of late has been dropping off a bit. Is it because he reached his max of games? Not sure..

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2016, 09:14:22 AM »

This is sort of what I have been thinking.. his play as of late has been dropping off a bit. Is it because he reached his max of games? Not sure..

Have you seen the Tank team in front of him as of late?

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 10:35:07 AM »
Reimer's had a rough week and a half, behind an expansion level roster. Before that, his play was mostly exceptional. I wouldn't read much into these last few games outside of him possibly being in a bit of a slump - which can happen to even the best goalies in the world - and playing behind a poor roster that's running out of steam/not catching teams off-guard anymore.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2016, 10:44:48 AM »
Reimer's had a rough week and a half, behind an expansion level roster. Before that, his play was mostly exceptional. I wouldn't read much into these last few games outside of him possibly being in a bit of a slump - which can happen to even the best goalies in the world - and playing behind a poor roster that's running out of steam/not catching teams off-guard anymore.

All of that's true but it's also pretty reasonable to have assumed that his play was going to level off at some point, especially as the season wore on.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 10:46:02 AM »

At the same time though I don't think anyone thought he'd keep up a .930 save percentage all season long.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 11:10:02 AM »
All of that's true but it's also pretty reasonable to have assumed that his play was going to level off at some point, especially as the season wore on.

Level off, sure. I just don't buy the suggestion that he's hit a wall because of games played.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 11:10:02 AM »