Author Topic: Blues @ Leafs - Jan. 2nd, 7:00pm - CBC, TSN 1050  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Blues @ Leafs - Jan. 2nd, 7:00pm - CBC, TSN 1050
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2016, 08:27:59 PM »
Both those goals were stoppable.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2016, 08:28:32 PM »

That release from Tarasenko was ridiculous though.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2016, 08:28:43 PM »
Komarov is going to fetch a first from some contending team.

No need to trade him, unless, it really knocks our socks off!  And, I mean really knocks!

The more I think about it, the more I disagree. The Leafs need to start selling high on guys like Komarov - players who aren't going to be effective players when the Leafs are contending. It's unlikely Komarov can repeat the kind of offensive success he's having this season. In all likelihood, his trade value will start to drop next season. It's in the team's best interest to move him at the deadline - or, at the very latest, the draft.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2016, 08:29:46 PM »

That release from Tarasenko was ridiculous though.

Agreed.  Kind of Brett Hullish.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2016, 08:32:19 PM »

Allan just made this statement: Yeah, what you can do, I can do better!    ;)

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 08:32:34 PM »

No need to trade him, unless, it really knocks our socks off!  And, I mean really knocks!

The more I think about it, the more I disagree. The Leafs need to start selling high on guys like Komarov - players who aren't going to be effective players when the Leafs are contending. It's unlikely Komarov can repeat the kind of offensive success he's having this season. In all likelihood, his trade value will start to drop next season. It's in the team's best interest to move him at the deadline - or, at the very latest, the draft.

This.  It's hard to move a really good guy like Komarov who can do so many things for a team.  But just as you say, his value is highest on a team that has a shot now, not years from now.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 08:34:28 PM »

Well, he leads by example, and, has a high work ethic... I think we need a player, or two, like this around during our rebuild.  This is the type of player the young guns in Edmonton have not been exposed to IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:36:35 PM by Al14 »

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 08:38:19 PM »

Well, he leads by example, and, has a high work ethic... I think we need a player, or two, like this around during our rebuild.  This is the type of player the young guns in Edmonton have not been exposed to IMHO.

I can't really tell you why, but I would be more inclined to follow this logic if the player at stake was a defenseman.

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 08:48:20 PM »
I didn't catch the loss to the Isles last week, so maybe that's an exception, but other than that I can't remember when this team hasn't been in a game.  Compared to last season's crap -- well, Babcock's impact has been nothing short of amazing.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 08:48:32 PM »

I can't really tell you why, but I would be more inclined to follow this logic if the player at stake was a defenseman.

You need a veteran forward, with high work ethics, leading your young forwards.  It's also a good plan to have a veteran D, with the same high standards, leading your young D.

I would not hesitate to trade Komarov, but, it has to be an exceptional offer. JMHO. 

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 08:49:01 PM »

As has been stated over and over again, these kind of role model types are available as UFAs every summer. They're easy to find.

And, the problem in Edmonton hasn't been that at all. They've brought in so-called "character" guys. The real issues in Edmonton are lack of depth, poor defensive talent, and awful goaltending - all of which comes from their poor drafting outside the 1st round, and the fact they haven't been able to add a lot of early picks. For a team that's been terrible, the fact that they've only been able to add a total of three picks in the first two rounds over the past eight drafts has been exceptionally unhelpful. That's something the Leafs need to avoid, and, an easy way to add picks in the early rounds of the draft is to take advantage of trading players like Komarov when their value is at their highest.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Leafs71

• Veteran
  • I broke your television!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2016, 08:50:22 PM »
I'm wondering at this point why Boyes is getting playing time ahead of guys like Leivo and Panik.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2016, 08:51:40 PM »

As has been stated over and over again, these kind of role model types are available as UFAs every summer. They're easy to find.

And, the problem in Edmonton hasn't been that at all. They've brought in so-called "character" guys. The real issues in Edmonton are lack of depth, poor defensive talent, and awful goaltending - all of which comes from their poor drafting outside the 1st round, and the fact they haven't been able to add a lot of early picks. For a team that's been terrible, the fact that they've only been able to add a total of three picks in the first two rounds over the past eight drafts has been exceptionally unhelpful. That's something the Leafs need to avoid, and, an easy way to add picks in the early rounds of the draft is to take advantage of trading players like Komarov when their value is at their highest.

It's up to Shanahan, Lou and company to decide.  We'll see what their decision is. Nothing we say counts.

As for Edmonton, I'd put money on them doing far better with Komarov, instead of the UFA character guys they've brought in.  Again, JMHO. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:57:19 PM by Al14 »

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2016, 08:57:03 PM »
Jagr could always eliminate Scott by butt-checking him into the first row.

Offline Leafs71

• Veteran
  • I broke your television!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2016, 08:58:42 PM »
One thing I've noticed with Komarov, is that for a "role" player, he has remarkable playmaking vision. I've seen some really impressive plays with the puck, going through to last year.

No doubt his shooting percentage isn't sustainable, and yes, he should likely be traded, but I think it isn't all that common to have a guy that can play up and down the lineup, and not look out of place.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2016, 08:58:42 PM »