Author Topic: Sparks gets the start  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Capital Leaf

• Prospect
    • View Profile
Re: Sparks gets the start
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »
Good for Sparks!
Obama has continually tried to increase gun control but the clowns at Congress reject it.
I agree #WakeUp

This should have been taken care of a long time ago

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 01:36:57 PM »
They will never revoke the 2nd Amendment in the U.S but they could outlaw the assault rifles without amending the 2nd.  I spend a lot of time in AZ as you know and everyone there believes that they could stop a rampage like this just by having a gun on them. Crazy but its true.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline No.92

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 01:42:44 PM »
They will never revoke the 2nd Amendment in the U.S but they could outlaw the assault rifles without amending the 2nd.  I spend a lot of time in AZ as you know and everyone there believes that they could stop a rampage like this just by having a gun on them. Crazy but its true.

I live in the US and it's ridiculous.  I own a shotgun but that's for self-defense but would gladly give it up if guns were outlawed.  But yeah what you're saying is ridiculous.  Stopping a guy with an assault rifle with a hand gun?  Good luck with that.  You'd be mowed down so fast, you wouldn't have time to fire of enough to stop him/her.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 01:44:51 PM »

I'm confused.  Do you think it's crazy that everyone believes the suggested solution could have stopped this?  Or do you think the suggested solution is crazy but you think it might work?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:29:32 PM by Significantly Insignificant »
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 01:52:11 PM »

I live in the US and it's ridiculous.  I own a shotgun but that's for self-defense but would gladly give it up if guns were outlawed.  But yeah what you're saying is ridiculous.  Stopping a guy with an assault rifle with a hand gun?  Good luck with that.  You'd be mowed down so fast, you wouldn't have time to fire of enough to stop him/her.

Sure but if all 500 people in the nightclub pull out their handguns at the same time and start firing..well...yikes.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »

I'm confused.  Do you think it's crazy that everyone believes the suggested solution could have stopped this?  Or do you think the suggested solution is crazy but you think it might work?

Don't get me wrong, I am totally opposed to all guns everywhere, but if they could outlaw assault rifles then a lot of lives would be saved in these situations..radicals Islam or radical Christians are Radicals and will find ways to mass destroy. McVeigh did it with one huge truck bomb.  But assault rifles are or should only be for Army/Marine use
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 02:37:11 PM »

They wouldn't even have to consider revoking the 2nd Amendment. The courts have already placed a number of restrictions on it over the life of the constitution (for example, they've established that it doesn't cover concealed carry), and it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to place limits on the type of arms that citizens are allowed to bear. There's no reason they can't place limits restricted automatic or semi-automatic weapons, or those they deem to be military grade, or even restrictions on calibre. There's also no reason many of the common sense proposals regarding background checks for mental health issues, law enforcement related concerns, etc., shouldn't be in place - other than the gun lobby having a stranglehold over the Republicans in Congress.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 03:13:31 PM »

They wouldn't even have to consider revoking the 2nd Amendment. The courts have already placed a number of restrictions on it over the life of the constitution (for example, they've established that it doesn't cover concealed carry), and it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to place limits on the type of arms that citizens are allowed to bear. There's no reason they can't place limits restricted automatic or semi-automatic weapons, or those they deem to be military grade, or even restrictions on calibre. There's also no reason many of the common sense proposals regarding background checks for mental health issues, law enforcement related concerns, etc., shouldn't be in place - other than the gun lobby having a stranglehold over the Republicans in Congress.

I just love how tightly people born 200 years after the Constitution was made cling to the exact letter of the wording/intent of the 2nd Amendment above all others.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 03:16:24 PM »
I think the first order of business should be to stop having assault and handgun flyers, arrive to your house like a Wal-Mart flyer.

I was truly shocked when a friend from the States showed me that last year.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 03:52:02 PM »

I just love how tightly people born 200 years after the Constitution was made cling to the exact letter of the wording/intent of the 2nd Amendment above all others.

Isn't the full 2nd Amendment that they have the right to bear arms as a member of a free standing army?  They always conveniently forget that second part.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »
Isn't the full 2nd Amendment that they have the right to bear arms as a member of a free standing army?  They always conveniently forget that second part.

The exact text reads as such:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

So, being part of a free standing army is not a requirement, but it is certainly the justification for the clause itself.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 09:00:29 PM »
It's an amendment. Just amend the damn thing
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 09:05:40 PM »
Everytime something like this happens I eventually find myself watching Jim Jefferies' take on gun control in the US, so unfortunately I've watched this far too many times (warning for language & stuff):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UFyNy-rw4

Offline Chris

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2016, 10:11:01 PM »
I'm a U.S. citizen (NY). I've been having the gun debate with some members of another (primarily U.S. member) forum and some of the arguments I've seen against any changes in guns laws are both...laughable and downright scary. For instance, did you know that if we're going to make some (and note I say some, not all) guns illegal, or even place tighter restrictions on their purchase, we have to also make cars illegal because thousands of people are killed by them each year. Oh, and swimming pools too, they are dangerous and people die in them every year. It's absolutely ridiculous the lengths some of these people go to in order to defend their "right" to own any kind of weapon.

I'd love to move to Canada. The only problem, as I get older I get less tolerant of cold weather. NY is already too cold for me...

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2016, 10:42:05 PM »
I don't want to wade too much into this topic, just want to say:

1) Sparks is the man!

2) Never understood why some Americans think the 2nd Amendment gives them free range on automatic and assault type weapons when it was written in the time of powder muskets?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2016, 10:42:05 PM »