Author Topic: Why William Nylander is too good for the AHL & why Red Wings' Model isn't best  (Read 3189 times)

Offline ShanaplanDebate

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • Maple Leafs Blog
William Nylander is the most prized prospect the Leafs have had in a very long time. So developing and taking the right steps is necessary in order for the Leafs to "do it right." In my blog post, I speak about why he's not up with the big boys, why they should bring him up, and what the next steps are, I also speak about the flaws in the Red Wings' model. If you're a Leafs fan, it can be read here - . Go Leafs Go!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:00:42 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile

Is Nylander more "prized" than Rielly was/is?
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline ShanaplanDebate

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • Maple Leafs Blog
Hello Nik, I wouldn't necessarily say that Morgan Reilly is less prized than Nylander but there has been much more hype surrounding William than there was with Reilly. And that tends to happen with a flashier player like Nylander. That being said, both are unbelievably talented and have the potential to do damage for the Leafs for a long time.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Reilly can jump his own hight from squating position, can William do this. Rielly can bench press a cow and I am not sure William can do this. Nik may be on to something here
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I disagree.

Nylander is right where he is suppose to be. Lighting up the AHL and getting his confidence. DET has had a playoff team for more then 20 years straight. SO it works

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Nylander is looking good, probably good enough to play in the NHL, but I don't want him anywhere near the Leafs at this time.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Yes William is where he should be and growing into a Man's body, perhaps not quite Matts 6'4" frame but once he adds a few more pounds of muscle and gets thru this season with the Marlies then he will be ready.
I am getting pretty excited about a Kadri, Nylander, Holland centre core next year.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Most importantly has William Nylander booked with VehicleTourGuide? How good can he be if he hasn't found out yet who he really is? Have you offered him a complimentary tour with an expert such as yourself?

Questions that keep us all awake at night!

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
Does anyone else find it odd that his username is a shameless plug for his own blog?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
I think Nylander would be fine in the NHL this year, but I'd rather he stay down in the AHL for the time being, fine-tuning his play beyond scoring at a ridiculous pace for a <20. For those that have watched him, does he still occasionally take shifts off? Does he just wave his stick on defense, or does he use his superior speed and body positioning to separate opponents from the puck?

My preference would be for him to step into the NHL at centre right away on a sheltered scoring line, rather than going through the wing. I think if Kadri is dealt without an up and coming centre prospect (20-22 year old) coming back in that or another deal, we might see Nylander.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
For those that have watched him, does he still occasionally take shifts off?

He's not 100% Canadian, so yes.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
This is a valid question but I think the thread initiator should post the reasons here, not use this board to flog his blog.  Otherwise it's pretty much like posting clickbait.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
This is a valid question but I think the thread initiator should post the reasons here, not use this board to flog his blog.  Otherwise it's pretty much like posting clickbait.

There was a Hockey News article about the 5 AHL players that should be in the NHL.  Nylander was listed #1.  I like that he is in the AHL though, and I think it's still the right decision to keep him there. 
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile

I completely agree. It's also not like he's posted here for any length of time. It's for the specific purpose of driving views to his blog. I wouldn't be surprised if this popped up on other forums.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile

Agreed. It's a perfectly valid discussion topic, but instead, we get clickbait spam.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca