Author Topic: Ben Scrivens waived by EDM  (Read 2415 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Ben Scrivens waived by EDM
« on: October 05, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »
Tough break for him. I never really thought that he was anything special but he's a great guy off the ice.

His has a cap-hit/salary of $2.3mil, and is in the final year of that contract.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Ben Scrivens waived by EDM
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:38:31 AM »

Man, I don't know if Nilsson just outplayed him or they're super confident in Talbot but that's a weird one.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:21:58 AM »

Man, I don't know if Nilsson just outplayed him or they're super confident in Talbot but that's a weird one.

Nilsson played in 3 games (120 minutes total) and saved 53 of 53 shots. Scrivens played in 3 games (122 minutes total) and saved 52 of 56 shots. Not sure if I'd read that much into those numbers though, especially since Nilsson has been a pretty terrible goalie at the NHL/AHL level the past couple of seasons.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:25:20 AM »

Nilsson played in 3 games (120 minutes total) and saved 53 of 53 shots. Scrivens played in 3 games (122 minutes total) and saved 52 of 56 shots. Not sure if I'd read that much into those numbers though, especially since Nilsson has been a pretty terrible goalie at the NHL/AHL level the past couple of seasons.

Interesting how stats in a subpar KHL would give you that kind of edge.  I guess being 6'5" didn't hurt him.   

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:27:40 AM »
I'm glad that even with an improved GM and a new franchise player the Oilers are still capable of making (seemingly) dumb decisions like these. I don't think Cam Talbot is going to be their saviour either. They'll continue playing goalie-roulette for a little while.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:36:42 AM »
Scrivens just wasn't good enough.  He had an .897 SV% at even strength last season, worst in the league.  Not that I'd expect it to be that bad going forward, but it wasn't like he was good last year.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 10:40:24 AM »
If Talbot struggles, Lou might sell them on one of our two "starters".

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 10:42:45 AM »
Scrivens just wasn't good enough.  He had an .897 SV% at even strength last season, worst in the league.  Not that I'd expect it to be that bad going forward, but it wasn't like he was good last year.

Yeah, Scrivens wasn't very good either. I'm just not sure Nilsson will be an improvement in any way. I don't know if Burke/Treliving would be willing to trade a goalie to a divisional rival, but Edmonton would be smart to target the Flames for help here, they're rumoured to be trying to move Jonas Hiller for some reason.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 10:47:41 AM »

Yeah, Scrivens wasn't very good either. I'm just not sure Nilsson will be an improvement in any way. I don't know if Burke/Treliving would be willing to trade a goalie to a divisional rival, but Edmonton would be smart to target the Flames for help here, they're rumoured to be trying to move Jonas Hiller for some reason.

I could be remembering this incorrectly but I think Jeff Marek once was listing a group of teams that just didn't make trades with each other(I'm pretty sure he said this in relation to Leafs/Sens) and Flames/Oilers were one of them.
-Mark Twain

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 10:50:10 AM »
I could be remembering this incorrectly but I think Jeff Marek once was listing a group of teams that just didn't make trades with each other(I'm pretty sure he said this in relation to Leafs/Sens) and Flames/Oilers were one of them.

Yeah, that doesn't exactly surprise me. Chiarelli and Burke have of course made moves before though, so I wonder if they can get past that. Although teams generally don't like trading goalies within a division, regardless of how heated the rivalry is.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 10:03:15 PM »
Maybe not worth it's own new thread, but here's a good Players' Tribune article by Ben Scrivens about goaltending.  It's the first of 2 parts and has a great title:

Please, Please, Please, Don’t Call Me Athletic

There are people who will shoehorn a term into a sentence to make them seem like an expert, but the term they splice in is such an overused cliché that all you can think is, What an idiot. I know I don’t have the normal, nine-to-five desk job, but I’m convinced that every industry has its own ubiquitous saying that spreads like an infection and quickly loses its meaning. These buzzwords become so pervasive in the office and workplace, that, eventually, no one questions their meaning anymore. Company X promises to “disrupt the Y industry.” Marketers distinguish themselves with a “holistic” approach to your campaign. And my personal, cringeworthy, favorite: “synergy.”

In the hockey world, my gears grind when I hear the term “athletic” goalie. What makes one goalie athletic and the other unathletic? Doing the splits? Stacking the pads? Windmilling a glove save? Are those really the top qualities you want the goalie of your team to have? They wouldn’t be for me.

In a time of internet experts and hot-take media, we are left with a complete void where nuance used to reside. Sometimes, a lack of nuance is harmless, like saying, “I could eat burritos at every meal.” (Really? At every meal?) Other times unalterable, definite opinions can have drastically negative ripple effects. (Has anyone been watching the U.S. election coverage?)

So with this in mind, I’d like to try to calm the waters surrounding modern goaltending.

This won’t be an article written only for goalies, chock-full of reverse-vertical-horizontal (RVH) and backside-recovery references. Goaltending doesn’t have to be complicated. Analytics are good thing for hockey. Advanced stats are becoming mainstream and accepted, and I view that as a positive change, but I also need to see a goalie in action to fully evaluate his or her skill. At the end of the day though, the only question that needs to be answered is, Did the puck stay out of the net? How the puck stays out of the net is less relevant than many people think. I’ve been fortunate to play in the NHL for the past four years, for the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Los Angeles Kings, the Edmonton Oilers and the Montreal Canadiens, and I currently hold the NHL record for saves in a shutout. I know a few things about this position.

more....
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 10:24:52 PM »

It's funny how often goalies become the better analysts of the game.
-Mark Twain

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »

Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 08:27:52 AM »
Thanks for that HS.  Interesting read.  8)

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 03:13:25 PM »

Ben Scrivens can replace Glenn Healy at any time in my books!

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 03:13:25 PM »