Author Topic: Tim Connolly Interview today on the FAN590  (Read 14565 times)

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Tim Connolly Interview today on the FAN590
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 08:33:25 PM »
Minimum 60 games and 60 pts. Anything less and I'll be officially pissed.

Shirley, you can't be serious.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 08:33:54 PM »

I really don't think it's fair to say that his signing is a write off if he doesn't hit a PPG.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »

I really don't think it's fair to say that his signing is a write off if he doesn't hit a PPG.

He doesn't need to hit a PPG. If he gets 55 pts in 60 games, I'll live with it... Or, 62 pts in 72 games... I'll live with that. - Follow?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »

I think it's fair to say that if he misses 22 games next year because, otherwise, he won't be much of a #1 centre. If he scores 60-65 points and plays in 75-80 games I think we'd all be happy. If he fails to hit either of those marks it's safe to say it won't be a very successful season.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 08:47:49 PM »
Well, even Mats missed 12 games one year (I think it was the one where he broke his orbital bone). I would be happy with 70 games, 60 points. 50-55 would be underwhelming and I'd be unhappy, but I certainly wouldn't be pissed.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
Well, even Mats missed 12 games one year (I think it was the one where he broke his orbital bone). I would be happy with 70 games, 60 points. 50-55 would be underwhelming and I'd be unhappy, but I certainly wouldn't be pissed.

Well, I don't know if you recall but I was against Connolly as an option from the outset (I've since come around ever so slightly/cautiously) so he has some work to do to turn me around completely. 

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 08:58:21 PM »

Well, I don't know if you recall but I was against Connolly as an option from the outset (I've since come around ever so slightly/cautiously) so he has some work to do to turn me around completely.

No, I recall. I'll be careful not to wade into the debate, but when he cost nothing but cash and makes the team better then what's the difference? Even if he's injured the team will remain similar to last year's, so at worst we'll be equivalent to last year's team. To me that's the price of risk/reward for a horrific UFA market devoid of much talent worth spending money on outside of Richards.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »

No, I recall. I'll be careful not to wade into the debate, but when he cost nothing but cash and makes the team better then what's the difference? Even if he's injured the team will remain similar to last year's, so at worst we'll be equivalent to last year's team. To me that's the price of risk/reward for a horrific UFA market devoid of much talent worth spending money on outside of Richards.

... and what you're saying is (in part) why I feel slightly better about the acquisition. Other than the injury issues, I'm still uncomfortable with the fact that Sabre fans are still partying over the fact he's off their roster. 

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 09:28:09 PM »
Well, even Mats missed 12 games one year (I think it was the one where he broke his orbital bone).

And he responded with 78 points. 70 games of Mats Sundin were better than 82 games of just about anyone else.

The thing about Connolly, and this is tough to say without seeing him play too often, is that the descriptions of him I keep reading have a boatload of his value tied up in him being in the line-up and producing on the scoresheet. So I think Sarge's benchmarks are fair. As to whether or not you should be "pissed" or just unhappy if he fails to meet them is a semantic thing I can't speak much to.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline 13th fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
Wait a minute ! Floyd is Sarge and Borge ? Are authorities looking for you ? :)

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 10:27:06 PM »

Shhhhh... Seriously though, as I explained in the username change thread, I wanted "Floyd" all along (from Sgt. Floyd Pepper... see my avatar) but it was gone on the old site. I've used that full name or just plain "Sarge" previously but there was opportunity here to nab the handle I wanted all along.... and cops I can hanble. Phone cops though? Please don't tell those guys. 

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 10:30:59 PM »

Shhhhh... Seriously though, as I explained in the username change thread, I wanted "Floyd" all along (from Sgt. Floyd Pepper... see my avatar) but it was gone on the old site. I've used that full name or just plain "Sarge" previously but there was opportunity here to nab the handle I wanted all along.... and cops I can hanble. Phone cops though? Please don't tell those guys.

Weren't you also Dr. Bobby Leafer?

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »

Weren't you also Dr. Bobby Leafer?

Yup I think "Floyd" makes it 5 or 6 usernames in 5 years. Probably more changes than most. "Phone cops" clued you in, eh?

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:18 PM »

He doesn't need to hit a PPG. If he gets 55 pts in 60 games, I'll live with it... Or, 62 pts in 72 games... I'll live with that. - Follow?

His career high is 65 pts (73 GP) and he's only been over 50 pts one other time (55pts, 63 GP).

Grabbo had a career high 58pts last season with 48pts being his second highest.

The 30th best scoring center in the NHL in the last five years has been between 54 and 59 pts.

Of the 16 playoffs teams last spring:
1st line center averaged 66.4pts, .89ppg, 74GP
Connolly has averaged 50pts, .83ppg, 60GP (ignoring 2 GP '07 season)

2nd line center averaged 47.9pts, .69ppg, 72GP
Grabbo has averaged 47pts, .65ppg, 72GP (over last 3 seasons)

Connolly has performed a little below 1st line center average. Grabbo has been pretty close to 2nd line center. If Grabbo can repeat his 58pt performance of last season with MacArthur & Kulemin and if Connolly can play 68 games scoring at his average .83ppg, the two would attain NHL average scoring for top 6 centers on a playoff team.

I'd be pretty happy if Connolly played 68 games and put up 56 points. With a whole year under their belts, Grabbo should be able to score close to his 58pts if that line can carry on their chemistry of last season. That presumes that Wilson gives those two lines ample ice time and PP time - close to as if both are top lines - to mimic what Grabbo got last year.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:56:03 PM by cw »

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 11:59:02 PM »
So we're fairly close on what we hope to see of him then.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 11:59:02 PM »