Author Topic: 2015-16 Prospects Thread  (Read 42675 times)

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
2015-16 Prospects Thread
« on: September 25, 2015, 09:20:47 AM »
Since real games have begun for many of the Leafs' prospects, seems about time we had a thread for the upcoming season.

EDIT: See CarltonTheBear's post with a link to the assist.

Timashov had a goal and 2 assists (1st star) and Dzierkals also scored for Quebec and had an assist (2nd star).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:42:59 AM by Potvin29 »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2015-16 Prospects Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 10:30:12 AM »
Just finished putting together some gifs from that game. It's something I hope to do throughout the season, especially with the prospects action since it's not something that's really out there anywhere else.

Here's Dzierkals' (#10) goal and assist, worth noting that this was his first ever game in the Q as well:

http://gfycat.com/PoorOpulentIcelandicsheepdog

http://gfycat.com/FortunateBabyishBongo
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:41:26 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 10:32:11 AM »
And here's Timashov's (#88) incredible assist, and his goal as well:

http://gfycat.com/HarmoniousSlowButterfly

http://gfycat.com/ComplicatedTenseHypacrosaurus
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:58:42 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 10:34:24 AM »
I added direct links as well as the gifs were coming out a little sluggish on the boards, but they run fine from the actual source. Not sure if that's just my iffy internet speed at work or not.

edit: I think I'm going to have to compress them even more than I did, lesson learned! I just removed the actual gifs and left the links, view them from there if you'd like!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:42:25 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 10:53:23 AM »
Much appreciated, Potvin29 and Carlton.

Timashov definitely looks like a huge steal @ Rd 5.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »

Yes, great idea! Man, Dzierkals' goal was pretty slick.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 04:05:23 PM »
Travis Dermott and the Erie Otters started their season last night. Dermott had a pair of assists, including one on the tying goal that sent the game to overtime with just 1:15 left in the 3rd. The assist was nothing special, but his zone-entry on the shift that led to the goal sure was:

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 04:12:15 PM »
Dermott looked pretty good so far and impressed,  seems to have the necessary poise to handle things. Hope he kills with the Otters
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 04:23:24 PM »
I think this was a comment on PPP but there's a pretty good chance this season of having Nylander, Marner, and Timashov lead the AHL/OHL/QMJHL in points.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »
I think this was a comment on PPP but there's a pretty good chance this season of having Nylander, Marner, and Timashov lead the AHL/OHL/QMJHL in points.

Huh, I never realized that, but yeah there's definitely a decent chance of that. At the very least barring an injury (or in Nylander's case a call-up) they'll all likely be top-5 in scoring.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 04:41:22 PM »

Huh, I never realized that, but yeah there's definitely a decent chance of that. At the very least barring an injury (or in Nylander's case a call-up) they'll all likely be top-5 in scoring.

Yeah the interesting thing with Nylander is - if he's at a point where he's even got a shot to be top 5 in AHL scoring, is he going to realistically be left in the AHL to do that?  There was an article on TLN about whether he could be the first teenage 100 pt scorer in the AHL but the counterpoint is - why would be still be down there to reach that total if he's producing points at that rate?

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »

Completely agree re Timashov, he looked very good in the limited action he saw.

I either posted or read an article on here not long after the draft, it looked at Timashov's production and had him in some very impressive company.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »

Yeah the interesting thing with Nylander is - if he's at a point where he's even got a shot to be top 5 in AHL scoring, is he going to realistically be left in the AHL to do that?  There was an article on TLN about whether he could be the first teenage 100 pt scorer in the AHL but the counterpoint is - why would be still be down there to reach that total if he's producing points at that rate?

Because the Leafs need to lose hockey games?

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 05:08:44 PM »

But what would be the point of dragging him into the inevitable tire fire that will be the 2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs season post-deadline, and wasting 1 ELC year/games towards UFA?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 05:24:02 PM »
But what would be the point of dragging him into the inevitable tire fire that will be the 2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs season post-deadline, and wasting 1 ELC year/games towards UFA?

Because while you can design a team to be bad in the off-season, in-season you probably can't outright look like you're intentionally making decisions to lose games and still be able to preach what you want to the players you have. 
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 05:24:02 PM »