Author Topic: 2015-2016 Toronto Raptors Thread: We Have "It"!  (Read 20080 times)

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2015-2016 Toronto Raptors Thread: We Have "It"!
« Reply #255 on: May 29, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »
Team International...

Argentina, Brazil, Canada, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Lithuania and the U.S. The Raptors may call many places home but say they shared a special bond this season.

"Its an amazing camaraderie that we have," all-star guard DeMar DeRozan said. "And its hard to find in this Coach Dwane Casey also saw something special in this year's roster, saying players accepted their roles and bought into the program.

"I really feel like we had a special locker-room and I told the team (Friday) night I've been coaching since 1979 and this is one of the special connected teams that we've had," he said."

...said Joseph..."Off the court we learned about each other's culture. I think we had the most international players in the league this year. We learned about each other's families."

...said Lowry...Honestly the mix of cultures and countries and backgrounds and languages .... it just brings us together," he added.

Languages spoken in the Raptors room included English, French, Lingala, Lithuanian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swahili.

More:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/raptors-celebrate-brotherhood-en-route-franchise-best-season/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:01:15 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 31, 2016, 04:20:53 PM »
Biyombo willing to take "hometown discount" and remain a Raptor:

...teams like the Raptors and Oklahoma City Thunder are proving that there is always a ton of value in having a giant, physical presence down the middle who can control the boards and protect the paint. How much value? Some reports have indicated the market is willing to pay upwards of $17 million per season for Biyombo,...there are 21 teams with max. cap space to spend this summer and you can bank on at least one of them talking themselves into devoting a chunk of that dough towards an effective starter.

Biyombo was asked if he expects to be playing in a Raptor uniform next year. "Honestly, I do," he said, adding that, "We still have some unfinished business. It was so much fun to see the team go from last year to this year making the Eastern Conference finals. Be it would be fun to go even further next season.

When asked if he would take a hometown discount, he didn't hesitate with his answer:

"Yeah. Things can always be worked out," Biyombo said Monday, "Ive said that to my people, Ive said that to Masai. When the right time comes Id be open to figuring something out. At the end of the day its for fun, not money. Its not always about money. Money is great, but at the same time I ask how much fun am I going to have? The city is great, the team is great, and were winning."

In the ten games following Jonas Valanciunas' injury in the second round of the playoffs, Biyombo averaged 8.2 points on 60% shooting, 11 rebounds, and 2.1 blocks in 33 minutes per game

..."One thing Im thankful for is the opportunity I was given here. The whole season as we faced ups and downs [but] my teammates allow me to be myself and play my game. It was so much fun to be around my teammates, be around the city. Im expecting for myself to be back here and I believe I have the right people to get it done."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/raptors-biyombo-expects-back-says-hell-take-hometown-discount/

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 31, 2016, 04:45:46 PM »
Raptors GM/President Masai Ujiri outlines team needs, possible trade options, re-signing key players, impact of new salary cap, etc.

Michael Grange. @michaelgrange
Ujiri: "We work for a top five, top 3 organization in the NBA ...you match that with winning you attract players"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/ujiri-opens-raptors-roster-needs-off-season-targets/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:58:15 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 09, 2016, 01:39:12 PM »
Ex-Toronto Raptor Vince Carter "proud" of team's accomplishments:

Vince Carter has no hard feelings that his 2000-01 Toronto Raptors team has finally been supplanted as the best in franchise history.

The Memphis Grizzlies guard followed his old teams run to their first-ever Eastern Conference Finals with interest and was happy to see this edition of the Raptors blow away all the previous standards for regular-season and post-season success.

It was awesome, said Carter before Game 3 of NBA Finals. I reached out to Kyle [Lowry] and DeMar [DeRozan]. Im not really big on doing the whole reaching-out-through-social-media-so-everybody-sees-it type thing. Its just not my thing. You know, we talked. I just told them, I was like, You guys are the best, and they should hold their head up high. Because not only did they make history, they actually changed a lot of minds of a lot of people. Everybody thought they could be here.

So I think they had a heck of a run, and I was just proud to read about it, to listen to people talk about it. Where it was like at one point they werent even talking about them in the Finals and next thing you know, the Raptors could possibly do it. It was great to see it, and to know at one point I was part of that and to see your record go down, I mean, all records are broken at some point. Were seeing a lot of history this year throughout the NBA, and its great to see, because thats why we play the game.

More:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/vince-carter-proud-raptors-record-setting-season/

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #258 on: June 09, 2016, 01:39:12 PM »