Author Topic: The Leafs Management vs NHL  (Read 23658 times)

Offline Stebro

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: The Leafs Management vs NHL
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »
I definately think that we are on the right track, what's weird is although I know we will likely stink for a while, I haven't been this excited about the leafs for the last 7-8 years or so. Now I check hockey sites every day basically.
Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
This is awesome.
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/10-questions-to-consider-after-lamoriello-hiring-1.335730

In reality, the Leafs' decision-making process seems a little bit more nuanced, more tangled than "complete control" for Lamoriello. Shanahan said on TSN 1050 that Lamoriello will "be a leader, he will make decisions," he will "have a strong presence" but ultimately will "make the decisions within the group mentality."

[...]

"Winners know how to adapt to win," Shanahan told reporters Thursday. "Is it going to be a challenge? Yeah, sure Ö (Lamoriello) comes into this job with his eyes wide open as to how I envisioned the organization, which is the same as Mike (Babcock). Which is (assistant to Lamoriello) Brandon Pridham is just as important to him as anyone else that I've hired, in his own way. As is (director of player personnel) Mark Hunter. As is Kyle Dubas. As is the coach, and the GM. As is (Marlies coach) Sheldon Keefe."

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
Maple Leafs State of the Nation
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/09/10/toronto-maple-leafs-state-of-the-nation-full-transcript/

Fan: I just wanted to know, since you guys have hired so many new upper management [personnel] this year, a lot of similar roles and a lot of great hockey minds together, who is going to make the game day decisions when it comes to the team?

Babcock: I think what happens when you have a team is the President makes the decisions heís supposed, the manager makes the decisions heís supposed to, and the coach makes the decisions heís supposed to. When youíre making those decisions, weíve all got feedback in all those situations. What I mean by that is Lou and I talk every single day. When the game is on, and I decide who is playing, when the game is on Iím making those decisions. When we go to trade a player, when we go to acquire a player, Louís talked to me in advance, Iíve talked to Lou, and in the end heís got to make that decision. I think what happens is different people are making different decisions at different times, but we all have input. That doesnít mean we all agree all the time. In the end, the coach coaches, the manager manages. Thatís the way it works.

Shanahan: Itís important to know we have a tremendous amount of respect for each other. If Iím going to make a decision, I want to know what Lou thinks, I want to know what Mike thinks, and I want to know what Brandon Pridham thinks. We trust each other; we trust the privacy of one another, but we also know, like Mike said, we all have different jobs. It doesnít mean we donít want to lean on each other, but at the end of the day, Mike is on the bench and I canít change the lines. We all have our own jobs to do. I think that itís going to work very well. I have absolutely no concerns whatsoever about this group that weíve put together.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:50:40 AM by herman »

Online Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 03:15:35 PM »
Having Lou as GM is still going to take some getting used to.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »

The way the power structure has been described as of late has me a little less enthused about the team's direction post-Lamoriello's hiring.

But I think some of it is posturing.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline MetalRaven

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 03:43:09 PM »

The way the power structure has been described as of late has me a little less enthused about the team's direction post-Lamoriello's hiring.

But I think some of it is posturing.

I don't even care if it is posturing...its the BEST posturing.
Im currently buying all the kool-aid...ill take it all...it tastes delicious. They're saying all the right things as far as im concerned. I have more confidence in the management structure now then I ever did. If they work as well as they speak, I think we should have a contender soon and maybe even a cup before I die, assuming im not taken out by a random bus.

What are your concerns regarding the direction of the team if I may ask?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »

They're not really concerns, I was just more excited by the idea of a Dubas-Hunter-Shanahan triumvirate making the decisions than I am with a team that's genuinely being managed by Lou Lamoriello.
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »

They're not really concerns, I was just more excited by the idea of a Dubas-Hunter-Shanahan triumvirate making the decisions than I am with a team that's genuinely being managed by Lou Lamoriello.

I would agree with this.

One of the other questions prompted an answer from Lou about how much he admired Hunter, and Babcock insinuated that they were planning on getting him to run the 2016 draft too, so there's that.

Babcock: Hopefully the future with those kids is bright. In that way, weíre going to have to continue with Mark Hunter and the way weíre set up for the draft to stockpile kids.

[...]

Lamoriello: That was one of the things that was really attractive to me coming here Ė Mark Hunter. In my opinion, heís one of the best, if not the best. In order to get good players you have to have somebody who has a good eye and what heís done with the scouting staff. Heís done that, and we can see that just with the prospects here today and where they were yesterday.

Shanahan also noted that when people started asking him about advanced stats and his position on it when he was first hired, he consulted two people: Dubas and Lamoriello. He ended up hiring both of them.

When I first got hired and somebody started talking to me about analytics and data and things like that, ironically what a lot of people donít know is I sort of went to two different people and asked them what it meant. One was Kyle Dubas and that meeting was set up through David Branch. One of them, ironically ó and itís a bit of a secret but Iíll tell it now ó was Lou Lamoriello. Lou is sneaky smart and sneaky nimble when it comes to information. He is a baseball man as well.

Offline MetalRaven

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »

Thats fair.

I'll admit im not overly familiar with many Devils trades. Im hoping the triumvirate are still in charge of finding talent and who to trade for.  Lou would be in charge of making the trade as one sided in our direction as possible. Same with contract negotiations. Lou brings experience in those two departments that the three lack on an NHL level. Im probably dreaming in technicolour but thats what im hoping for anyway, Lou to squeeze every drop of value from trades.

Offline Mostar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 11:56:26 PM »
Just to add some contrast, this is a team that was once run by Harold Ballard.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 12:43:21 AM »

Very well contrasted.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »

The soft bigotry of low expectations.
-Mark Twain

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 12:26:29 AM »
Ballard's stench on this franchise seems to be finally washing away with having a group of managers who appreciated talent rather than country of origin (are you listening Don?).  Russians, Americans, Swedes, etc.
Remember when Harold was so short sighted that a Russian would never play for the Leafs?? 
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 08:09:47 AM »

How is that in anyway different from the Quinn years? Remember? With our Swedish captain and Russian sniper and #1 defenseman and Kaberle and Berezin and....

Seriously, that was 15 years ago.
-Mark Twain

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »

A Lou Lamoriello whose track record as GM has, for some years now, been suspect at best, I might add.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »