Author Topic: Ranking Prospects  (Read 27630 times)

Offline No.92

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Prospects
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2016, 07:45:45 PM »
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/7/20/9006441/blue-jackets-draft-video-shows-leafs-offered-pick-no-4-for-picks-no-8

I don't know if this is the spot for this, but I must of spaced on this if it was mentioned earlier. So it would appear Marner was never the Leafs preference?

I don't care what happened, but thank God it worked out in our favor.  I'm happy we have Marner.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2016, 07:53:58 PM »
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/7/20/9006441/blue-jackets-draft-video-shows-leafs-offered-pick-no-4-for-picks-no-8

I don't know if this is the spot for this, but I must of spaced on this if it was mentioned earlier. So it would appear Marner was never the Leafs preference?

That they were open to a trade down doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't their preference, just that they were pursuing other options. You can think Marner is the right choice at #4 while still thinking other things might be more valuable. That's a heck of a collection of picks.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline McGarnagle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2016, 07:59:08 PM »
That they were open to a trade down doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't their preference, just that they were pursuing other options. You can think Marner is the right choice at #4 while still thinking other things might be more valuable. That's a heck of a collection of picks.

It is a haul of picks, and it is too early to say it would have been the wrong decision, even now in hindsight.

If I'm understanding correctly, I guess I was just under the impression that Hunter was drafting Marner at that spot as a first priority and plan. If the link it to be believed, they didn't think enough of him to prefer giving up that spot and trading down. That surprised me.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2016, 08:07:22 PM »
It is a haul of picks, and it is too early to say it would have been the wrong decision, even now in hindsight.

If I'm understanding correctly, I guess I was just under the impression that Hunter was drafting Marner at that spot as a first priority and plan. If the link it to be believed, they didn't think enough of him to prefer giving up that spot and trading down. That surprised me.

Me too but, to give the organization credit, I think there's real value in exploring all of your options. That very well might have been a "they'll never give us all that, will they?" sort of offer.
-Mark Twain

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2016, 08:13:39 PM »

Me too but, to give the organization credit, I think there's real value in exploring all of your options. That very well might have been a "they'll never give us all that, will they?" sort of offer.

If the Leafs think Columbus' rookie GM wants Hanafin, they make the offer to see if they'll bite.  It was the Leafs trying to take advantage here, not so much them not liking Marner.

They seemed to like Werenski enough to keep their stash.

So, I agree. 

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2016, 08:20:41 PM »
Another thing to consider is that Toronto might, and I realize this is a big might, might have thought Marner would still be around at #8. Because if you figure that the reason to trade up for Columbus is to take Hanifin and then Carolina and Philadelphia still want defensemen and take Werenski/Provorov in some order then all Marner has to do is get by New Jersey and he's there. So if they knew that Jersey was in love with Zacha...
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2016, 08:20:41 PM »