Author Topic: 2015 Development Camp  (Read 6536 times)

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Development Camp
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 04:09:23 PM »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2015, 04:14:58 PM »
Good interview from Dubas here, video and transcribed: http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/07/09/kyle-dubas-on-frederik-gauthier-william-nylander-and-more/

He’s a better player in that regard [advanced statistics]. There’s a couple players in this year’s draft that were eligible and then there’s a guy like Frederik, where people who are pure analytics people would say, “he’s not the type of guy you would suggest taking in that spot,” but if you go down to the shot attempts and the possession parts of it, he’s a guy that charts out extremely well. It’s just an interesting kind of paradox with where we’re at with hockey and advanced statistics. Frederik is a guy that’s a prime example, he’s a polarizing player in that regard.

I've been down on Gauthier myself, but this is exactly what I was saying in regards to Lawson Crouse too. It is really interesting to see the largely analytics crowd get on these guys for not scoring when if we were able to better track things like corsi in the juniors they'd likely be pretty high on that list. Granted I think that applies to Crouse a little more than Gauthier, but funny to see Dubas notice the same "paradox" as he says.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2015, 04:17:24 PM »
Good interview from Dubas here, video and transcribed: http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/07/09/kyle-dubas-on-frederik-gauthier-william-nylander-and-more/

Would anyone else be really in favour of Kyle Dubas showing up once a week on air to give us an update on the prospects and chatting about analytics and hockey philosophy?

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »
Dubas says Nylander will play C for Marlies next season.

That's great news...I was really hoping for that.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 02:42:44 AM »

Would anyone else be really in favour of Kyle Dubas showing up once a week on air to give us an update on the prospects and chatting about analytics and hockey philosophy?

I'd never miss it.

Offline showmethemoneyman

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 07:54:28 AM »

looks like Marner will play C for London also , so we're good to go

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »

He's progressive enough, maybe he could be talked into doing a weekly podcast.  Something along the lines of TSNs hockey analytics podcast.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2015, 08:51:24 PM »

looks like Marner will play C for London also , so we're good to go
Has Mitch not played centre on a regular basis in London?  I hope he does well enough to remain and develop into a 1st line centre for us.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:53:01 PM by Al14 »

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2015, 02:52:40 PM »
The way that this Leaf season is likely to go, I think i'm going to be more interested in the Marlies than I have been.

And by have been, I mean practically zero, so do they still play at Ricoh?

Online Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 06:36:40 PM »
I guess the bit question is will Leafs TV every broadcast a game again and if not will they milk us for Marlies TV so we see the team we know is the future?  I will cancel Leafs TV and buy the Marlie TV brand if so.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline hobarth

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 11:36:29 PM »
I guess the bit question is will Leafs TV every broadcast a game again and if not will they milk us for Marlies TV so we see the team we know is the future?  I will cancel Leafs TV and buy the Marlie TV brand if so.

Are you discounting possible chemistry on the big team?

Online Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 07:51:17 AM »
actually a bit more interested to see what develops with the prospects
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2015, 11:09:25 AM »
One of the guys that I work with was in Collingwood last week and took in some of the camp.

So not surprisingly, Nylander and Marner separate themselves from the pack.  He didn't know what the name was, but he said there was a 6'2-6'4 big defenseman that was a real standout as well.

My colleague's brother-in-law works for the town of Collingwood, and helped organize the event.  He said that not only did the Leafs change up the drills and activities, they got rid of any trainer that was out of shape.  They apparently wanted the optics to be that to be a part of the organization, you have to train and eat well.  I guess this ties in with the culture shift that Shanahan has been talking about.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »
So not surprisingly, Nylander and Marner separate themselves from the pack.  He didn't know what the name was, but he said there was a 6'2-6'4 big defenseman that was a real standout as well.

My guess is Loov.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »

My guess is Loov.

I'd guess Valiev.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »