Author Topic: Winnik Returns  (Read 5096 times)

Online louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
Re: Winnik Returns
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 07:13:40 PM »
It's a good thing we didn't get Oshie, we don't have any room on the roster for quality players, all hail Winnie!

If all goes according to plan, we'll have Auston Matthews - who(m?) I'd much rather have than TJ Oshie.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:17:46 PM by louisstamos »

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 07:22:01 PM »
It's a good thing we didn't get Oshie, we don't have any room on the roster for quality players, all hail Winnie!

The next few seasons are going to be difficult for you. I suggest taking an extended sabbatical.

Seriously.  Someone needs to have explained to them why the Leafs didn't target a soon-to-be 29 year old winger after trading a younger winger the day before? 

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 07:34:17 PM »

If all goes according to plan, we'll have Auston Matthews - who(m?) I'd much rather have than TJ Oshie.

Whom is correct here, though I'd be totally cool with who, because as pointed out, no one cares if you use who incorrectly.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »
I wonder if he knows we are going to trade him again at the deadline if he's playing too well?

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 11:26:36 AM »
I wonder if he knows we are going to trade him again at the deadline if he's playing too well?

If he plays well again leading in to the deadline and has a reasonable 2nd year on his contract I think we get a 1st round pick for him.  He was worth a 2nd round pick last year as a flash in the pan.  Two years of good production in a row on a very reasonable contract would arguably bump him up to that next tier.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »
If he plays well again leading in to the deadline and has a reasonable 2nd year on his contract I think we get a 1st round pick for him.  He was worth a 2nd round pick last year as a flash in the pan.  Two years of good production in a row on a very reasonable contract would arguably bump him up to that next tier.

2nd and a 4th! Never forget.

The interesting thing with Winnik will be to see if he can still produce offensively a little bit. Some people might be inclined to attribute his career high point totals to being on Pittsburgh but his PPG was actually higher with the Leafs. If he can step that up even a bit then, yeah, if he looks to be a 40 point player who kills penalties the way he does?
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 11:45:39 AM »
The interesting thing with Winnik will be to see if he can still produce offensively a little bit. Some people might be inclined to attribute his career high point totals to being on Pittsburgh but his PPG was actually higher with the Leafs. If he can step that up even a bit then, yeah, if he looks to be a 40 point player who kills penalties the way he does?

Most of his offence came when he played on a line with Kadri and Santorelli. When he played in a bottom-6 role the points weren't there (unsurprisingly of course). So yeah, if the plan is to move Winnik again he and Kadri should see a lot of time together again.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »
I wonder what Winnik thinks.  He must know he's a candidate to be dealt again as literally everyone who saw him sign with the Leafs again thought: "Awesome, can be dealt for picks!"

Must not care about stability too much!

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 12:00:53 PM »
Most of his offence came when he played on a line with Kadri and Santorelli. When he played in a bottom-6 role the points weren't there (unsurprisingly of course). So yeah, if the plan is to move Winnik again he and Kadri should see a lot of time together again.

Honestly, at this point I could legitimately see the Leafs having four lines playing 15 minutes a night. I mean, say you put this team together

Winnik-Kadri-JVR
Lupul-Bozak-Panik
Komarov-Holland-Parenteau
Bailey-Arcobello-Hyman

I mean, you give the PP time to the top two lines there but outside of that? Rotate 'em. Have fun with it.
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2015, 12:03:08 PM »
With that group I'd probably just pick lines out of a hat before every game.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2015, 12:03:33 PM »
I wonder what Winnik thinks.  He must know he's a candidate to be dealt again as literally everyone who saw him sign with the Leafs again thought: "Awesome, can be dealt for picks!"

Or he loves the city he grew up in, gets to spend most of the season at 'home'; then at the end of the year, goes out on a 3-month business trip with a chance to win the Cup on a contender.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »

I wonder how many players might sign a deal like this to have an opportunity to be traded to a contender.  And I wonder how much the Leafs may use this as a selling point in signing those players.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares Drew Doughty

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2015, 12:06:47 PM »

Right? Play tennis ball soccer before every game and the winning team gets to be the first line for the night.
-Mark Twain

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2015, 12:09:22 PM »

Or he loves the city he grew up in, gets to spend most of the season at 'home'; then at the end of the year, goes out on a 3-month business trip with a chance to win the Cup on a contender.

But he has a 2 year deal! If he's dealt this year he's on that team next year too unless he's dealt again.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »

Right? Play tennis ball soccer before every game and the winning team gets to be the first line for the night.

Treat it like goaltenders in a 1A/1B situation.  Win and you're in.  So the line that puts up the most points int he previous game gets to play the most minutes the next night.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »