Author Topic: Official Armchair GM Thread 2015-2016  (Read 44893 times)

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Official Armchair GM Thread 2015-2016
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 08:59:41 PM »
My spleen kills constantly…………….or is that my liver…………..or both? :-\
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 10:23:55 PM »
JvR            Kadri         Lupul
Matthias    Bozak      Parenteau
Komarov   Spaling       Holland
Winnik     Arcobello     Panik
Bailey/Leivo/Hyman

Gardiner  Phaneuf
Rielly       Robidas
Hunwick    Polak
Marincin/Brennan

Bernier
Reimer

That's kind of the mix to me at this point.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 10:25:33 PM »

I think one of the reasons we've seen a lot of people go with JVR-Kadri-Winnik instead of maybe the more obvious JVR-Kadri-Lupul is that the latter really seems like it would just be atrocious defensively.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 10:45:08 PM »
Sure, I mean you could shove Lupul down to the second line and still give him plenty of exposure, reshuffling down a peck on the left side, also you could argue Holland over Spaling at C. One could also start dismantling/reassembling the roster with Bozak's ( hopefully ) imminent departure and what not.

I think part of Kadri's big test this year is to solidify his defensive play. He's got all the tools/skillz on offense. Putting him with the teams best two offensive wingers while throwing down the defensive awareness gauntlet could be good for him at this point. If Lupul could stay healthy it might be good for him/the Leafs as well.

Maybe there's a platoon situation available or something.

I dearly hope they are able to trade Bozak and Phaneuf this summer without having to hold their collective noses, a real decent shot at the top 3 picks becomes far more likely with them gone, and I mean, the cap space...
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 11:13:15 PM »
I think part of Kadri's big test this year is to solidify his defensive play. He's got all the tools/skillz on offense. Putting him with the teams best two offensive wingers while throwing down the defensive awareness gauntlet could be good for him at this point. If Lupul could stay healthy it might be good for him/the Leafs as well.

See, I don't agree. I mean, yeah you want Kadri to improve defensively but coming off a season where he didn't even crack 40 points I think he needs to focus on finding his offensive game and so I don't think you really want to pile additional responsibilities on his plate right now. Even still, I don't think the best way for a player to improve defensively is to ask him to be the sole defensive presence on a line. To me that's a recipe for frustration more than success.

Also, I have to assume Marincin is above Hunwick on the depth chart.
-Mark Twain

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 11:31:30 PM »
While he obviously has to work on his defensive game within the team concept, I agree he needs to be let loose on offense with heavy power play time.

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 11:37:51 PM »

I dearly hope they are able to trade Bozak and Phaneuf this summer without having to hold their collective noses, a real decent shot at the top 3 picks becomes far more likely with them gone, and I mean, the cap space...

Bozak yeah, but I wouldn't hold your breath on Phaneuf leaving so soon.
I joked in the Babcock hiring thread that he would be staying, but now I'm beginning to believe that Dion isn't going anywhere. I really think Babcock wants to give it a go with Phaneuf, try and turn him around and at the very least hope to increase his trade value in the future. There seems to have been a philosophical shift regarding Dion within the organization since Babcock came on board.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2015, 09:22:42 AM »
While he obviously has to work on his defensive game within the team concept, I agree he needs to be let loose on offense with heavy power play time.

Can't Kadri be both? 

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2015, 09:44:40 AM »
I mean, yeah you want Kadri to improve defensively but coming off a season where he didn't even crack 40 points I think he needs to focus on finding his offensive game and so I don't think you really want to pile additional responsibilities on his plate right now.

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about Kadri's offensive stats last season. At even-strength he produced at virtually the same rate as 13/14 where he put up 50 points. It was just his powerplay scoring that went into the toilet, but for whatever reason the entire 2nd unit just couldn't get anything done last season. I'm sure he won't repeat his 6-PP-point season again.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »
Of course he can. I'm not advocating he abandons learning the defensive side of things. I just am advocating for giving him all the opportunities to use his offensive toolkit. And part of that is giving him the right linemates.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:17 AM »
I hope Kadri improves his faceoff percentage. Not because I necessarily think that it would make a world of difference, I'm just sick of hearing people complain about it.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2015, 10:00:26 AM »
I'm not sure I'd worry too much about Kadri's offensive stats last season. At even-strength he produced at virtually the same rate as 13/14 where he put up 50 points. It was just his powerplay scoring that went into the toilet, but for whatever reason the entire 2nd unit just couldn't get anything done last season. I'm sure he won't repeat his 6-PP-point season again.
*cough-Clarkson-cough*

Offline Crucialness Key

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »
*cough-Clarkson-cough*
aaaaaaAAAAAAACHOOOCLARKSONSUCKEDHARDERTHANTHEVACUUMOFSPACEOOOOOOooo

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2015, 02:49:19 PM »

I'm not worried too much but to be honest I thought the 50 point season was a little disappointing too. So I'd still like to see him re-establish himself as an offensive player before I started getting overly concerned about his two-way play.
-Mark Twain

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2015, 03:02:08 PM »

I'm not worried too much but to be honest I thought the 50 point season was a little disappointing too. So I'd still like to see him re-establish himself as an offensive player before I started getting overly concerned about his two-way play.

Well that put him in 81st (or a tie for 79th, not sure how to read that on NHL.com) among NHL forwards in points that season.  I wouldn't consider that disappointing since he was still 2nd C most of the season.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2015, 03:02:08 PM »