Author Topic: Official Armchair GM Thread 2015-2016  (Read 44929 times)

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Official Armchair GM Thread 2015-2016
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 12:01:58 PM »
So, I wonder if Chris Stewart would do one of those 1 yr. deals?

That's a great question!
Flip him for a second at deadline time... sounds good to me. Zero risk. This brings up a good point, Leafs should be targeting reclamation projects for the sole purpose of flipping at deadline time. Hodgson would have been a good candidate.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:10:37 PM by cabber24 »
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 12:06:58 PM »
Yeah, lose Phaneuf and Bozak from there and, wow.... pain.
Bozak combined with Kessel gone really changes the core... I hope he's gone too. Reminds me a little of Stajan, I was just ready to move on ever though he was a decent player. I just don't/didn't like either guy representing the Leafs.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
A lot of you guys know more about the Marlies than I do, but here is a proposed team makeup...seems a fair few defensemen there, and I didn't include a Donaghey (mainly because I have no idea who he is).

Are some of these guys not playing in the 'A' this year?

Leivo - Hyman - Nylander
Kapanen - Verhaegue - Brown
Leipsik - Gauthier - Soshnikov
Carrick - Rupert - Devane

Frattin,

Percy - Finn
Loov - Valiev
Nilsson - Brennen
Finn - Harrington - Granberg

Gibson
Bibeau
Sparks

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 01:28:43 PM »
A lot of you guys know more about the Marlies than I do, but here is a proposed team makeup...seems a fair few defensemen there, and I didn't include a Donaghey (mainly because I have no idea who he is).

Are some of these guys not playing in the 'A' this year?

Leivo - Hyman - Nylander
Kapanen - Verhaegue - Brown
Leipsik - Gauthier - Soshnikov
Carrick - Rupert - Devane

Frattin,

Percy - Finn
Loov - Valiev
Nilsson - Brennen
Finn - Harrington - Granberg

Gibson
Bibeau
Sparks

Byron Froese should be in the mix too. He centred Frattin and Nylander in the back half of the season and catalyzed their playoff push.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 02:24:46 PM »
I was trying to put together some kind of Marlies depth chart too. It's obviously pretty difficult since we have no idea which of these guys could be on the Leafs or not. This was the depth chart I put together (shown as lines just for convenience):

Leivo-Nylander-Brown
Leipsic-Froese-Kapanen
Soshnikov-Gauthier-Frattin
Hyman-Verhaeghe-Bailey
Rupert-Rupert-Carrick-Devane

There's likely a few other guys on AHL contracts that I might be missing. But as herman says Froese is one who has definitely earned a place on that roster.

Now, those are all of the non-legit NHL forwards that the Leafs have signed. Toronto currently has 11 legit NHL forwards on the roster, so there's room for 2-3 more on the team. Assuming the Leafs keep some of the younger guys in the AHL for another year the candidates for those spots will probably be Frattin, Leivo, Hyman, and Bailey. Depending on how much room there is on the team I would expect Devane to go up and down from the ECHL. In fact that Leafs have talked quite a bit about wanting to see their ECHL team more in developing players so I would actually expect them to send a Carter Verhaeghe and maybe even Gauthier down there for stretches as well. Especially Verhaeghe, since he'll likely be in tough to get many minutes on the Marlies with the depth that they have.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 02:27:46 PM »
I was trying to put together some kind of Marlies depth chart too. It's obviously pretty difficult since we have no idea which of these guys could be on the Leafs or not. This was the depth chart I put together (shown as lines just for convenience):

Leivo-Nylander-Brown
Leipsic-Froese-Kapanen
Soshnikov-Gauthier-Frattin
Hyman-Verhaeghe-Bailey
Rupert-Rupert-Carrick-Devane

There's likely a few other guys on AHL contracts that I might be missing. But as herman says Froese is one who has definitely earned a place on that roster.

Now, those are all of the non-legit NHL forwards that the Leafs have signed. Toronto currently has 11 legit NHL forwards on the roster, so there's room for 2-3 more on the team. Assuming the Leafs keep some of the younger guys in the AHL for another year the candidates for those spots will probably be Frattin, Leivo, Hyman, and Bailey. Depending on how much room there is on the team I would expect Devane to go up and down from the ECHL. In fact that Leafs have talked quite a bit about wanting to see their ECHL team more in developing players so I would actually expect them to send a Carter Verhaeghe and maybe even Gauthier down there for stretches as well. Especially Verhaeghe, since he'll likely be in tough to get many minutes on the Marlies with the depth that they have.

Do you know which ones have to be waived to go down?

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »

Uh, this is a lot tougher without Capgeeks calculator. Hyman and Bailey just signed so they're still exempt from waivers. I believe that Leivo is too for one more season. Frattin would have to pass through waivers to go down.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 08:37:05 PM »
Fwiw Dubas specifically said Spaling would be playing centre with the Leafs, for those NHL rosters.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 08:47:39 PM »

Uh, this is a lot tougher without Capgeeks calculator. Hyman and Bailey just signed so they're still exempt from waivers. I believe that Leivo is too for one more season. Frattin would have to pass through waivers to go down.

It's certainly not as clean as capgeek but hockeyscap is actually a pretty nice site.

Offline Lynx

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 08:53:32 PM »

It's certainly not as clean as capgeek but hockeyscap is actually a pretty nice site.

I can't read that and not automatically put an 'r' in there.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 08:56:15 PM »

Oh yeah, I use that, generalfanager, and capfriendly. They're all pretty decent. Capfriendly is probably my favourite of the 3, but none of them have a waiver-eligibility calculator for some reason.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 10:33:06 AM »
Fwiw Dubas specifically said Spaling would be playing centre with the Leafs, for those NHL rosters.

With Arcobello, Bozak, Holland and Kadri also on the roster that seems somewhat unlikely barring another trade.

Or it could mean Spaling/Arcobello is seen as the 13th forward going ahead.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 11:12:06 AM »

With Arcobello, Bozak, Holland and Kadri also on the roster that seems somewhat unlikely barring another trade.

Or it could mean Spaling/Arcobello is seen as the 13th forward going ahead.

I figure that Bozak is still going to be traded at some point and I do wonder if the Leafs actually view Holland as a center or not.    I mean to be honest I'm not all that thrilled with what we have seen from Holland thus far as a Leaf.  He has moments of looking solid but he really strikes me as more of a 3rd line guy and I just don't really see him fitting in with the roster a few years down the road.  Maybe they play him on the wing instead.

Spaling has been >50% on faceoffs over his career thus far.  I would imagine that he carries more resell value if he plays up the middle this year.

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 04:25:20 PM »
Seeing line combinations in July hurts my spleen.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »
Seeing line combinations in July hurts my spleen.

Hunwickian empathy?
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »