Author Topic: 2015 NHL Entry Draft - Draft Day!  (Read 44364 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 NHL Entry Draft - Draft Day!
« Reply #600 on: July 20, 2015, 07:10:25 PM »
But, the Coyotes didn't take Hanifin, so something here is very very wrong.

Again, I think the Hanifin thing had more to do with Columbus than the Leafs. From what I can tell the video says this: prior to the draft starting the Leafs, knowing Columbus had an interest in defencemen/Hanifin, said if the top ranked defenceman is on board at #4 would you consider moving up to get him. Columbus basically said no right away, probably partly because the price was too high and partly because they felt they could get a guy they were interested in at #8 (and they did). That's it.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 20, 2015, 07:14:38 PM »
Again, I think the Hanifin thing had more to do with Columbus than the Leafs. From what I can tell the video says this: prior to the draft starting the Leafs, knowing Columbus had an interest in defencemen/Hanifin, said if the top ranked defenceman is on board at #4 would you consider moving up to get him. Columbus basically said no right away, probably partly because the price was too high and partly because they felt they could get a guy they were interested in at #8 (and they did). That's it.

Yeah, probably. I think, combined with their selection, it says a little about their level of interest in Hanifin, but it was definitely more about them seeing an opportunity to potentially add three 2nd round picks without moving out of the top 8.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 20, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »

Yeah, it sounds like they didn't think there was enough separation of talent between Hanifin and Werenski to make it worthwhile. He even made mention of 'I'll take my 77%', or something to that effect, probably referencing increased odds in taking more picks. I do love what Shanahan/Dubas tried to do there, though in moving back: "they want all our seconds".    :D
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 21, 2015, 12:49:56 AM »
In other words, the Leafs were satisfied with taking Marner at #4.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 21, 2015, 01:21:39 AM »

Again, I think the Hanifin thing had more to do with Columbus than the Leafs.

Yeah but I have a sneaking suspicion that busta was commenting on the Hanifin thing having something to do with local research, or lack thereof.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 21, 2015, 09:12:57 AM »
I was thinking about that trade offer a little bit more and I think that the most interesting thing is whether or not we could have still taken Marner at 8. So lets say the trade goes down, Columbus takes Hanifin at 4 instead of Marner. Instead of taking Hanifin at 5, do the Canes take Marner or do they take the other big NCAA defenceman in Werenski? New Jersey was apparently very high on Zacha, ditto for Philly with Provorov. Do those teams stick with those picks or does Marner being available make them change their plans?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 21, 2015, 09:35:43 AM »
I was thinking about that trade offer a little bit more and I think that the most interesting thing is whether or not we could have still taken Marner at 8. So lets say the trade goes down, Columbus takes Hanifin at 4 instead of Marner. Instead of taking Hanifin at 5, do the Canes take Marner or do they take the other big NCAA defenceman in Werenski? New Jersey was apparently very high on Zacha, ditto for Philly with Provorov. Do those teams stick with those picks or does Marner being available make them change their plans?

I'm guessing that a lot of the reasons we heard about teams being very high on some of those players was because they knew guys like Hanifin and Marner would be off the board.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #606 on: July 21, 2015, 09:35:43 AM »