Author Topic: 2015 NHL Entry Draft - Draft Day!  (Read 44362 times)

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 NHL Entry Draft - Draft Day!
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 09:30:12 AM »
Time for a couple of drafts after an early nine whole round.  Cheers everybody, have a great draft day. May all of our wildest dreams come true 8)
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
So you don't think the Leafs are going to make any moves before the draft?

They might. But I think we should probably be prepared for some pretty underwhelming returns if they do sell guys off.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 09:34:51 AM »
Once they appoint a GM-proper the decision chain should be a bit more clear cut. I don't think this is much different from other management teams, other than their internal team discussions not being publicized.

At this point, there are roles defined. Hunter is in charge of the Draft. Dubas will field the deals. Babcock is the coach. If Babcock truly believes what he said about not being the GM and about Hunter being one of the best hockey minds and talent evaluators, he should have no problem with Hunter's final choice. I think we'd all be happy with any of the three, really.

If we can swing trades for all three picks though...

You, and Potvin unsurprisingly, are defensively inferring more sarcasm than there is there. It's going to be interesting. It's a departure from the norm and, no, I don't think someone given the GM title is going to supplant Shanahan as the guy who's going to "break the tie".

Interesting is a value-judgment free word.

I didn't feel defensive when I wrote it, though I do see where that is easily inferred.

I'm excited for this draft, and very interested to see where this management team goes from here. I also think Dubas has been a good influence on Shanahan (it was reported Shanahan pushed to pursue Bolland and Gorges), helping him make these tie-breakers should they be required.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »
I could maybe see Bozak or Polak traded, but I doubt any of the bigger pieces will be moved today. Polak, I'd imagine, would be an attractive player for a contending team. Only one year left at $3.1M; tough as nails. I think he'd be worth at least a 2nd and maybe more.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 09:36:04 AM »
If we could get two high 2nd rounders for Bozo and Polak lets do it.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 09:39:06 AM »
I could maybe see Bozak or Polak traded, but I doubt any of the bigger pieces will be moved today. Polak, I'd imagine, would be an attractive player for a contending team. Only one year left at $3.1M; tough as nails. I think he'd be worth at least a 2nd and maybe more.

That's why I think that unless there's a really great prospect out there that he could be used to get, Polak makes way more sense as a guy to hold onto an deal at the deadline now, with everyone getting hyped on scouting reports and worrying about the cap it seems like that would weigh his value down. At the deadline I could see him going for a first pretty easily.
-Mark Twain

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 09:41:21 AM »

That's why I think that unless there's a really great prospect out there that he could be used to get, Polak makes way more sense as a guy to hold onto an deal at the deadline now, with everyone getting hyped on scouting reports and worrying about the cap it seems like that would weigh his value down. At the deadline I could see him going for a first pretty easily.

Basically had this written up word-for-word. It's Polak for Kylington or move him at the deadline when teams get stupid.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »
No more sleeps to go...

This isn't Christmas.

It's exactly like Christmas, except we know in advance we are going to get one of three possible gifts.  Unless Shanta decides to trade some of our old gifts for more gifts.  Or he decides we don't really need one of the three gifts and trades for other, lower-priced gifts but more of them. 

Other than that, it's exactly like Christmas.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 09:59:40 AM »
This is why Jesus was not born in Toronto…they couldnt find 3 wise men and a virgin.
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 10:14:54 AM »

That's true. Plus, at the deadline, the GMs know if they need someone like him or not which would make it more likely for them to cough up a 1st.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 10:18:01 AM »
That's true. Plus, at the deadline, the GMs know if they need someone like him or not which would make it more likely for them to cough up a 1st.

Exactly. Plus, everyone trading at the deadline thinks they're trading the #30 pick and any pick is easier to trade as an abstract concept than it is a prospect you know will be available at your pick.
-Mark Twain

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »
So you don't think the Leafs are going to make any moves before the draft?

They might. But I think we should probably be prepared for some pretty underwhelming returns if they do sell guys off.

Which is disappointing considering what the Sens just got for Lehner.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »

Maybe, but as I said over there it's Lehner and Legwand. If Legwand has a decent season, and he may get ample opportunity to in Buffalo, he could be a valuable deadline day asset. So while it was a good return, it might just ultimately mean the difference of 15 or so draft places for the Sabres and delayed a year.
-Mark Twain

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 10:44:48 AM »

Maybe, but as I said over there it's Lehner and Legwand. If Legwand has a decent season, and he may get ample opportunity to in Buffalo, he could be a valuable deadline day asset. So while it was a good return, it might just ultimately mean the difference of 15 or so draft places for the Sabres and delayed a year.

I guess, but it seems like Murray was able to turn a bad situation in to a pretty good pick.  He relieved cap space, he solved his goaltending logjam, and he got the 21st overall pick.  These are the sort of deals that we need to have happen for the Leafs, where they can get themselves out of a jam and get some assets through the process as well. 
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 10:50:55 AM »
I guess, but it seems like Murray was able to turn a bad situation in to a pretty good pick.  He relieved cap space, he solved his goaltending logjam, and he got the 21st overall pick.  These are the sort of deals that we need to have happen for the Leafs, where they can get themselves out of a jam and get some assets through the process as well.

The Leafs don't have a similar jam though. And I really don't see how three question marks in net is markedly better than four question marks in net.
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 10:50:55 AM »