Author Topic: Leafs to sign RUS D Nikita Zaitsev.....or not?  (Read 4294 times)

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs to sign RUS D Nikita Zaitsev.....or not?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »
Interesting take from MLHS. Perhaps the transfer agreement is the hold up and a deal gets done once compensation is set?

The other wrinkle to all of this is that the NHL and KHL are close to arriving at a transfer agreement, according to Elliotte Friedman. Currently such transfers operate under the mutual understanding that the KHL and NHL are to respect each other’s contracts (must either be a free agent or the contract must be voided in order to transfer). That memorandum is in place until June 30. An official transfer agreement including a compensation system could potentially change the options available in a case such as this one.

For the first time since 2004, the NHL appears to be closing in on a transfer agreement with Russia. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly said prior to Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final that things were getting close, and it’s apparently a four-year agreement — tying into the length of the other deals with European countries. Right now, the NHL and KHL agree to honour each other’s contracts, but this will allow a per-player fee should a jump be made.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »
Advanced stats suggest that leading the league in hits and blocks may be a negative indicator (or may mean nothing) as it suggests you rarely have the puck....

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 06:36:19 PM »
Welcome to the world of hockey.  In the news, the Leafs did nothing.  But that's okay because it got more attention then the Stanley Cup finals did.
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 08:07:20 PM »
Advanced stats suggest that leading the league in hits and blocks may be a negative indicator (or may mean nothing) as it suggests you rarely have the puck....

What about leading in goals and points for D?  Also it was leading CSKA, not the league according to that blurb.

Most likely in this case both mean that he got a lot of ice-time in all situations.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »
First prize is a new Cadillac, 2nd prize is a set of Steaknives, 3rd prize is ……………..your fired.   I love that scene.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 10:31:15 PM »
Welcome to the world of hockey.  In the news, the Leafs did nothing.  But that's okay because it got more attention then the Stanley Cup finals did.

This is why fans from other teams hate the Leafs so much. 
All The Best
Dan

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 08:08:13 AM »

How is this accurate? The Stanley Cup news is all over the sports media. I barely heard about this and only because of this site.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:30:49 AM by Andy007 »

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 09:19:59 AM »

How is this accurate? The Stanley Cup news is all over sports media site. I barely heard about this and only because of this site.

Because, reasons.

It's blatantly false but..hey, we shouldn't let that stop him!

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
An update from Igor Eronko:

Nikita Zaitsev to Sportizen.ru: ‘I can’t sign anything now but I visited Leafs and was pleasantly shocked by the reception’

‘I visited Leafs office and the arena, locker-room, talked to GM and the head coach and was very impressed’

‘Leafs were the only team that had a real big interest in me. I did some tests during the visit’

‘I want to leave the KHL as a winner and I’ll spend the year in Russia to be absolutely prepared  for the NHL’

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »
Then it sounds like he will be a Loafer in 16-17
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »
Then it sounds like he will be a Loafer in 16-17

Maybe?  I mean if he has a bad year I'm sure the Leafs back off on him...similarly if he has a great year and other teams show an interest I think he picks the most money-to-opportunity situation.  The Leafs have likely given themselves a leg up but I wouldn't be penciling him into the lineup any time soon.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 06:04:49 PM »
Maybe?  I mean if he has a bad year I'm sure the Leafs back off on him...similarly if he has a great year and other teams show an interest I think he picks the most money-to-opportunity situation.  The Leafs have likely given themselves a leg up but I wouldn't be penciling him into the lineup any time soon.

That, and a lot can change in terms of what kind of players the Leafs will be looking at next summer. They may not be as interested in adding a project on the blue line.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 08:03:28 PM »

How is this accurate? The Stanley Cup news is all over sports media site. I barely heard about this and only because of this site.

Because, reasons.

I don't like T.V.  So most my news comes from sources like Twitter, which gave me so many feeds on this, you would of thought Clark was coming out of retirement.
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 09:10:03 PM »

Because, reasons.

I don't like T.V.  So most my news comes from sources like Twitter, which gave me so many feeds on this, you would of thought Clark was coming out of retirement.

I'm not sure if this is the case or not but if you follow a lot of Maple Leafs media and Leaf related things on twitter, you probably will get a lot of Leaf-centric information.

And really, there's barely anything about this KHL guy anywhere but Leaf message boards. It just seems like a silly thing to complain about s'all ;)

Offline KW Sluggo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »

Agreed, I am fine with that.

Pure Leafs fan.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »