Author Topic: Steve Stamkos?  (Read 120112 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Stamkos?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 02:24:25 PM »
If memory serves me right, Quinn used to get into it with some media guys, and that kind of exacerbated things a bit.

Exacerbated what though? The team was plenty successful all things considered.

Well, not according that one guy...  :P

Why, I otter...
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 02:50:31 PM »
If memory serves me right, Quinn used to get into it with some media guys, and that kind of exacerbated things a bit.

Exacerbated what though? The team was plenty successful all things considered.

We're not discussing how successful the team was.

We are talking about the "unsafe" environment that stems from the contentious relationship with the media, right?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »

We are talking about the "unsafe" environment that stems from the contentious relationship with the media, right?

Well, what I'm saying is that I think Babcock's statement makes it pretty clear that he thinks the "unsafe" environment is entirely a product of the team not being successful. That the way to make the environment "safe" isn't about having a better relationship with the media but in having the team win.

So in my, and I think you'd have to agree Babcock's, mind Quinn occasionally being contentious with the media didn't exacerbate the "safety" of the environment because it didn't make the team lose.
-Mark Twain

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »

Well, what I'm saying is that I think Babcock's statement makes it pretty clear that he thinks the "unsafe" environment is entirely a product of the team not being successful. That the way to make the environment "safe" isn't about having a better relationship with the media but in having the team win.

So in my, and I think you'd have to agree Babcock's, mind Quinn occasionally being contentious with the media didn't exacerbate the "safety" of the environment because it didn't make the team lose.

to paraphrase babcock...you don't mind coming out and facing the media every night when your winning.  When your playing well and winning alot the media suddenly become your friends.

Online sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 05:06:48 PM »
The players are a bunch of babies IMO.  They are payed millions of dollars to play a game and they can't talk to the media?  Come on, what a joke!  Kessel played like crap and doesn't want to talk about it?  Ship him out of town IMO.  Yes, the media can be harsh but part of being a celebrity is dealing with the media.  The media exists everywhere.  Yes, it's extreme in Toronto but seriously these players need to get over themselves.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 05:43:48 PM »
Talking about Stamkos in the Kessel thread, Kessel in the Stamkos thread.

Online sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 06:00:17 PM »
I can talk about whoever I want wherever I want. Kessel and stamkos are both implicated in this discussion.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 06:22:58 PM »

YEAH! Who does CTB think he is trying to tell us what we can talk about and where? And what the hell does "moderator" mean?
-Mark Twain

Online sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 06:50:24 PM »
I did not realize that he is a mod. He is spouting off nonsense though, I will say that.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »
I did not realize that he is a mod. He is spouting off nonsense though, I will say that.

Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh.

Can we please get this thread back on-topic though guys: who else is super excited about Fallout 4?

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 07:34:12 PM »
The players are a bunch of babies IMO.  They are payed millions of dollars to play a game and they can't talk to the media?  Come on, what a joke!  Kessel played like crap and doesn't want to talk about it?  Ship him out of town IMO.  Yes, the media can be harsh but part of being a celebrity is dealing with the media.  The media exists everywhere.  Yes, it's extreme in Toronto but seriously these players need to get over themselves.

As someone who has never had to deal with any of that I'm sure you're a great source on how others deal with it.

Online sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 08:20:07 PM »

As someone who has never had to deal with any of that I'm sure you're a great source on how others deal with it.
There are lots of people who deal with the media every day and they are paid way less.  Politicians for example.  They deal with it.  The players need to grow up.  They want us to feel sorry for them?  Come on!  They make more in one season than most of us will make in our entire lives!  Oh noes!  Someone wrote an article about me that says I suck!  Give me a break.

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 08:52:55 PM »

There are lots of people who deal with the media every day and they are paid way less.  Politicians for example.  They deal with it.  The players need to grow up.  They want us to feel sorry for them?  Come on!  They make more in one season than most of us will make in our entire lives!  Oh noes!  Someone wrote an article about me that says I suck!  Give me a break.

haha...and now imagine its not just one bad article but dozens, and you're giving years of your life and putting your health on the line almost nightly.  You get asked the same stupid questions over and over, you have everything about how you go about your life questioned and examined in detail.  You can't even really leave your house because you get hounded for autographs and pictures everywhere you go.  Can't just go out to the bar, can't just go out for a movie, can't just go out to get groceries without fans who recognize you. 

anyways...money aint everything.  I must say I don't envy phil or dion.  I don't envy kadri and how his dirty laundry got aired out a little bit at the end of the season last year.  I don't want journalists calling my mother to get the latest on my injury or my wife getting skewered on twitter for no good reason.

Media can be an issue but fans can be way worse.  And then they say Oh you need to take whatever ridiculous sleazebag thing I might do to you because I am paying your salary and you make stupid amounts of money.

ok...end of rant...please continue with your days!

Online sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 09:11:12 PM »

haha...and now imagine its not just one bad article but dozens, and you're giving years of your life and putting your health on the line almost nightly.  You get asked the same stupid questions over and over, you have everything about how you go about your life questioned and examined in detail.  You can't even really leave your house because you get hounded for autographs and pictures everywhere you go.  Can't just go out to the bar, can't just go out for a movie, can't just go out to get groceries without fans who recognize you. 

anyways...money aint everything.  I must say I don't envy phil or dion.  I don't envy kadri and how his dirty laundry got aired out a little bit at the end of the season last year.  I don't want journalists calling my mother to get the latest on my injury or my wife getting skewered on twitter for no good reason.

Media can be an issue but fans can be way worse.  And then they say Oh you need to take whatever ridiculous sleazebag thing I might do to you because I am paying your salary and you make stupid amounts of money.

ok...end of rant...please continue with your days!
What about police and firemen who put their lives on the line every day?  Or soldiers?  What about construction workers who take a way bigger toll on their bodies plus they risk death every day on the job.

I'm sorry, but you're not going to build any sympathy with me for players who are paid millions of dollars to play a game.

If I got paid $8 million/year I would talk to all of the reporters in the city every day if they wanted to talk to me, and really I wouldn't care or worry about what they wrote about me.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »
What about police and firemen who put their lives on the line every day?  Or soldiers?  What about construction workers who take a way bigger toll on their bodies plus they risk death every day on the job.

Or the children. Why won't someone think of the children?
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »