Author Topic: Coach Mike Babcock  (Read 59383 times)

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
Re: Mike Babcock is the Leafs new Coach!
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 02:37:33 PM »
Surprised. Also intrigued. With Keefe seemingly set for the Marlies, it puts a few more building blocks in place that somewhat refresh and renew my interest.

The draft, while already of interest, just became a little more so. I'd be surprised if they don't/can't do a few inventive things there with the likes of Kessel and Phaneuf.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Jolly good show chaps

• Rookie
  • Pip pip
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 02:40:36 PM »

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 02:41:20 PM »
If Detroit demands compensation for Babcock I wonder if it becomes part of a Phaneufsy deal.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 02:44:32 PM »
If Detroit demands compensation for Babcock I wonder if it becomes part of a Phaneufsy deal.

I thought the Wings set the compensation at a 3rd round pick a couple of weeks ago.  Perhaps I'm think of another exec, but I thought compensation had been pre-determined.  And that Buffalo and Toronto signed an agreement to surrender that as part of the permission to talk to him, if they ended up signing him.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline sooner2220

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 03:01:13 PM »

I thought the Wings set the compensation at a 3rd round pick a couple of weeks ago.  Perhaps I'm think of another exec, but I thought compensation had been pre-determined.  And that Buffalo and Toronto signed an agreement to surrender that as part of the permission to talk to him, if they ended up signing him.
Is the 3rd Round pick that goes to Detroit as compensation for the signing a 2015 or 2016 pick? The Leafs are already without a 2nd Round pick from the Bernier trade which would leave a big hole between rounds 1 and 4 in a supposedly deep draft.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »
You heard it here, ages ago.  Great signing, and Keefe with the Marlies, definitely some light at the end of the tunnel.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 03:03:02 PM »
Wow.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 03:04:56 PM »
Is the 3rd Round pick that goes to Detroit as compensation for the signing a 2015 or 2016 pick? The Leafs are already without a 2nd Round pick from the Bernier trade which would leave a big hole between rounds 1 and 4 in a supposedly deep draft.

They can give up the pick in any of the next 3 drafts.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2015, 03:06:20 PM »
Does anyone else think this might hurt the rebuild?
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2015, 03:07:05 PM »

They can give up the pick in any of the next 3 drafts.

I assume the Leafs can re-coup the draft pick through any one of the trades of Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak etc.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »
I assume the Leafs can re-coup the draft pick through any one of the trades of Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak etc.

Or even by getting compensation of their own by targeting coaches like Boucher/Keefe and having other teams poach them after a year or two.

Offline barney_rebel

• Veteran
  • The GDT Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »
We rule man....
WE _____ MAN

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 03:10:47 PM »
One thing is for certain, if you don't play the new systems to a T, you won't be a Marlie or Leaf for very long.
Makew it more likely we have seen the end of the Phil and Tyler B. show
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 03:12:58 PM »

Or even by getting compensation of their own by targeting coaches like Boucher/Keefe and having other teams poach them after a year or two.

Or by having Carlyle signed by another team??   ::)
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline crazyperfectdevil

• Veteran
  • Dead Inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 03:13:17 PM »
Does anyone else think this might hurt the rebuild?

I'd say the long term nature of the deal seems to suggest that there is time for failure built in here.  I know just because a coach is hired for a length of time doesn't mean they'll be on that team that long ...but 8 years seems like an attempt to say we expect this might not be an over night thing.  I also think that having someone of Babcock's stature being the coach could buy a little bit of extra time with the fans at large.  Because let's face it there are going to be some times durning these next 2 or 3 seasons where we'll be sick of losing. 

So no I guess I see this as a positive for the rebuild. 

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 03:13:17 PM »