Author Topic: so is Burke finished..  (Read 17217 times)

Offline Optimus Reimer

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: so is Burke finished..
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2011, 09:26:48 AM »
The Leafs are starting to fall apart this season once again.  And I think Burke has done a very good job of it, but it just goes to show how competitive the league is.  Like Darcy Tucker's contract, we're still paying for JFJ's mistakes.  Burke has done an admirable job trying to set sail with a patchwork quilt of small injury-prone forwards, cement handed defensemen, and rookie goalies... but it's not going succeed.  But the only choice is to stay the course.  Develop big forwards like Colborne, defensemen like Gardiner, and goalies like Reimer.  But I don't see clear seas for the next two seasons.

This team should be able to make the playoffs when healthy.  Comparing this lineup to the teams 6th to 10th, this team should be better.  What I don't want to see is a 1st rounder traded away.  What the Leafs need right now is a Roberts type of player.  Someone with some energy and heart who will kick the other players in the backside to get them going.  They could also use a real goalie until Reimer returns. 

I am not sure if any those type of players are available, or what the price would be, but that is what the Leafs need.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
Burke is falling on his own sword a bit.  I don't know if it's stubbornness, naivity, his ego, or a combination of all three.  But this is the second straight season he has misjudged the talent of this team heading into the season.

Last year, he deemed it not a priority to grab a #1 centre as we had Bozak.  Well, we all know how that turned out.  He still hasn't rectified that, even though Connolly can reasonably pass off as a placeholder for the time being (when he's healthy).

This year, he was adamant that he was comfortable going with Reimer and Gustavsson, despite many believing a veteran presence may prove beneficial.  No one expected Reimer to go as soon as he did nor for as long as he has and will be, but you always have to plan for the "what if".  Well, we see the results today and we don't have a stable backup (one good game followed by one bad game doesn't exude reliable confidence).  Another glaring misjudgment.

It's extremely possible it will cost his team another chance at the playoffs and I will admit, the way Burke talks during interviews about the state of the team, it's a little frustrating.

Offline leafsjunkie

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
It's time to fire Wilson, get a defensive style coach (I don't care if it gets boring to watch, I'd rather the team win a 2-1 boring style game then keep losing these 4-1, 7-0, 5-1 'exciting' games) and grab Nabokov. My 2 pennies.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2011, 10:09:29 AM »
It's time to fire Wilson, get a defensive style coach (I don't care if it gets boring to watch, I'd rather the team win a 2-1 boring style game then keep losing these 4-1, 7-0, 5-1 'exciting' games) and grab Nabokov. My 2 pennies.

FWIW, Nabokov got hurt last night.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »

He'll fit right in then!  ;) :)

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2011, 10:29:33 AM »

Everyone's dropping like flies. Jeez.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2011, 02:50:01 PM »
Burke is falling on his own sword a bit.  I don't know if it's stubbornness, naivity, his ego, or a combination of all three.  But this is the second straight season he has misjudged the talent of this team heading into the season.

Is this a foregone conclusion yet though? I don't think we're out of it or that the Leafs are the point where we say that it will turn out like last year. I think for that to happen, we'll have to not fall back of that top pack of teams and thus far, we haven't yet. I'm willing to give Burke a bit more time before I start saying that he's in the same predicament as last season.
BWB

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »
Is this a foregone conclusion yet though? I don't think we're out of it or that the Leafs are the point where we say that it will turn out like last year. I think for that to happen, we'll have to not fall back of that top pack of teams and thus far, we haven't yet. I'm willing to give Burke a bit more time before I start saying that he's in the same predicament as last season.

It isn't a foregone conclusion and I don't necessarily disagree.  It's just that the bad trend is creeping back in and before we know it, the whole "give it a bit more time" (ie. another 15 games) could see us slipping to the point where it'd be difficult to get back into things.  I suppose I just want to see the bleeding stop and things rectified before things get worse.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2011, 03:12:52 PM »
It isn't a foregone conclusion and I don't necessarily disagree.  It's just that the bad trend is creeping back in and before we know it, the whole "give it a bit more time" (ie. another 15 games) could see us slipping to the point where it'd be difficult to get back into things.  I suppose I just want to see the bleeding stop and things rectified before things get worse.

I share the worry, but like Busta has been saying, it is very promising that the team is playing much better hockey in front of their goaltending. I guess that will be the true test of all this, is if we can get our goaltending to make the saves early in the game and then keep us in the game consistently, until of course Reimer comes back.
BWB

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2011, 03:12:52 PM »