Author Topic: Blues @ Leafs - Mar. 7th, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590  (Read 8192 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Blues @ Leafs - Mar. 7th, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2015, 09:40:58 PM »
The abrasive personalities are favoured in the media for causing tension. If everyone on the panel was logical and knowledgeable, it'd be a pretty quiet round of nodding and agreement every night.

Nah. I think TV producers might take the path of least resistance in order to get some cheap and easy conflict but logical and knowledgeable people can and do disagree all the time.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2015, 09:46:07 PM »

Healy really seems into the Hamburgler.
-Mark Twain

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Blues @ Leafs - Mar. 7th, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »
This is the first game where it seems like a minor league team versus an NHL team, I know we've all joked before, but tonight is awful.

Every time Toronto tries something it is so telegraphed, The Blues easily break it up, they move the puck around effortlessly and are relentless in puck pursuit.

Hitchcock is a helluva coach.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2015, 09:54:16 PM »

Yeah. Pretty clear it was Bernier's fault in the 1st.

I think that was the old "change the goalie to motivate your team" move. Obviously pretty clear that didn't work.

Kinda like the old "change the coach to motivate your team" move they've tried a couple of times mixed in with the old "change the GM to motivate your team" move ...

Obviously, pretty clear nothing has worked.

This team is so pathetic, it's painful and embarrassing to watch. Gotta put it out of it's misery. They've got to clean house.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2015, 09:59:51 PM »

That ad they just ran for the Sabres/Leafs game this week was downright hilarious.
-Mark Twain

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2015, 11:43:41 PM »

That ad they just ran for the Sabres/Leafs game this week was downright hilarious.

I missed it. Was it trying to be hilarious or was it hilarious because they were genuinely trying to get people to tune in.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2015, 07:54:48 AM »
http://www.tsn.ca/interim-leafs-coach-wading-through-rough-term-1.225336
There’s a time for calm and there’s a time for, well, not so calm.

Maple Leafs interim coach Peter Horachek exercised the latter after an opening period in Tampa the other night that was plain frustrating. Toronto had given up two goals, turned the puck over 11 times by the coaching staff’s count and been outshot 13-7.

“He can’t be just calm,” Roman Polak said. “He had to go into the dressing room and start yelling at guys because that’s what we deserved because we didn’t play good. We didn’t deserve to be [told] ‘be positive, let’s try in another period’. It doesn’t work like that.”
“There was no effort,” he (Horachek) said painfully afterward. “You never want your team to come into a game without the highest possible effort and approach to the game. There are no real excuses for it so I’m not going to make any. That’s unacceptable for me. I’m not happy about it.”

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2015, 10:31:32 AM »
With each passing game, I hate this team more and more.

I'll give youngsters like Rielly, Gardiner and Kadri a pass because they are being poisoned in this atmosphere. But guys like Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Bozak, JvR who are showing a faint pulse at best -- they can all go pump sand. Best players on the team and they don't even look like they give a damn.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2015, 11:02:58 AM »
With each passing game, I hate this team more and more.

I'll give youngsters like Rielly, Gardiner and Kadri a pass because they are being poisoned in this atmosphere. But guys like Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Bozak, JvR who are showing a faint pulse at best -- they can all go pump sand. Best players on the team and they don't even look like they give a damn.

I hear you, but I'm sort of happy about it. I mean, would you rather they started looking unbeatable right now? It is, by all accounts, and good year to flatline, and hopefully pick up a franchise player in the draft. That is by far,the most important need for this club moving forward.

We have a chance to pick up the single most important piece for a club in rebuild mode, at this draft. I can't think of a time in modern Leaf history when there was a better chance to get that player. Tank Nation and the Leafs cant afford to f this up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:09:49 AM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2015, 11:07:38 AM »
Most bottom feeders usually like to play the part of 'spoilers' as well as players wanting to keep their jobs.

Seems like the Leafs are doing their best to achieve the opposite.

Yes, tanking is one thing, but giving a truly gutless, couidn't-care-less performance is another.  The two don't match.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2015, 11:15:35 AM »
Most bottom feeders usually like to play the part of 'spoilers' as well as players wanting to keep their jobs.

Seems like the Leafs are doing their best to achieve the opposite.

Yes, tanking is one thing, but giving a truly gutless, couidn't-care-less performance is another.  The two don't match.

It only makes the decision for a full-on rebuild easier for everyone involved. It also helps in selecting which players, if any, will be a part of the rebuild and which will not. I consider it a much needed blessing in disguise. The last thing we need to have happen at this point, is for this team to rediscover their passion.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:19:09 AM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Chris

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2015, 11:26:46 AM »
On the one hand, these kinds of gutless performances increase the likelihood of a higher draft pick (even #1 potentially).

On the other hand...I think it's obvious that NONE of the core players should be part of the team going forward. Phaneuf, Bozak, Kessel, Lupul, and yes even JVR should all be dealt as soon as feasible. For a while I was on the fence about possibly keeping Kessel around but that is no longer the case. I'd rather take my chances with the young players and/or draft picks trading him would yield. I just hope his pathetic effort the past couple of months hasn't hurt his trade value too much.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2015, 12:35:35 PM »
On the one hand, these kinds of gutless performances increase the likelihood of a higher draft pick (even #1 potentially).

On the other hand...I think it's obvious that NONE of the core players should be part of the team going forward. Phaneuf, Bozak, Kessel, Lupul, and yes even JVR should all be dealt as soon as feasible. For a while I was on the fence about possibly keeping Kessel around but that is no longer the case. I'd rather take my chances with the young players and/or draft picks trading him would yield. I just hope his pathetic effort the past couple of months hasn't hurt his trade value too much.

Yeah. I agree. I wonder though if management would have a little different perspective on keeping a player like Kessel should they end up with McDavid? Wouldnt they want to see what kind of chemistry Kessel has with the kid first? What if its a Hull-Oates kind of fit between the two? Could be one helluva A top line. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:43:17 PM by RedLeaf »

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »
That was just painful.  The only positives about the game were Sill's uppercuts, Phaneuf's hits, and the hilarious mock chants about the Leafs shot totals (they likely weren't loud enough for the broadcast).

The refs are allowing full on open season on Phaneuf though.  It was insane what they let St. Louis get away with.  Phaneuf with a clean hit gets jumped and somehow gets a roughing penalty.  He comes out of the box and a St. Louis player skates half-way across the ice to cross check him in the upper chest right in front of a ref and the ref lets him get away with it.  Phaneuf got slashed on the hand right in front of a ref and I'm pretty sure he took an elbow at one point, also in front of a ref.  They let all of that go.

They did managed to find a half dozen hooks in the game though.

I think my Dad is a St. Louis Blues fan now.  :(

Offline Chris

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2015, 12:46:53 PM »

Yeah. I agree. I wonder though if management would have a little different perspective on keeping a player like Kessel should they end up with McDavid? Wouldnt they want to see what kind of chemistry Kessel has with the kid first? What if its a Hull-Oates kind of fit between the two? Could be one helluva A top line. Just a thought.
It's something I've wondered about as well, and it has been discussed in other threads. More and more I'm coming to the belief that I wouldn't want Kessel around any young developing talent, just based on what I have read about his summer "training" habits and work ethic. Others have different opinions.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2015, 12:46:53 PM »