Author Topic: Lupul being "actively shopped"  (Read 6108 times)

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lupul being "actively shopped"
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 11:28:50 AM »
From Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts this week:

3. Keep an eye on Washington. GM Brian MacLellan said last weekend he will not trade Mike Green for picks or prospects, so barring a blockbuster (which the GM doesn’t see coming), Green will finish the season in the American capital.

The Capitals are all-in.

MacLellan would not comment on anything else, but it’s believed they will try to add another defenceman and it’s well-known they are chasing a forward to play with Nicklas Backstrom and Alexander Ovechkin. Ovechkin’s flexibility allows them to search for the best possible addition, whether a right- or left-handed shot.

I haven't seen Washington linked to Lupul, but I could see that working. The Caps really haven't had another big offensive threat beyond Ovi/Backstrom since Semin left.

That Filip Forsberg trade was ridiculous.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 05:28:12 PM »
From Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts this week:

3. Keep an eye on Washington. GM Brian MacLellan said last weekend he will not trade Mike Green for picks or prospects, so barring a blockbuster (which the GM doesn’t see coming), Green will finish the season in the American capital.

The Capitals are all-in.

MacLellan would not comment on anything else, but it’s believed they will try to add another defenceman and it’s well-known they are chasing a forward to play with Nicklas Backstrom and Alexander Ovechkin. Ovechkin’s flexibility allows them to search for the best possible addition, whether a right- or left-handed shot.

I haven't seen Washington linked to Lupul, but I could see that working. The Caps really haven't had another big offensive threat beyond Ovi/Backstrom since Semin left.

The Caps appear to have zero cap space available, so how does that work?  Maybe trade Lupul for Joel Ward (RW, $3 milllion on an expiring contract) plus a prospect and pick?  They would still have to make up some cap space, unless the Leafs retain salary in the third year, but that ties their collective hands if they want to retain salary in another deal.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »
The Caps appear to have zero cap space available, so how does that work?  Maybe trade Lupul for Joel Ward (RW, $3 milllion on an expiring contract) plus a prospect and pick?  They would still have to make up some cap space, unless the Leafs retain salary in the third year, but that ties their collective hands if they want to retain salary in another deal.

NHLNumbers has them with $2mil-ish in cap space, Lupul probably has roughly that amount left on his contract this season. So it could be doable. Admittedly though figuring this stuff out as a fan is a little trickier nowadays so who knows really.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 06:31:13 PM »

NHLNumbers has them with $2mil-ish in cap space, Lupul probably has roughly that amount left on his contract this season. So it could be doable. Admittedly though figuring this stuff out as a fan is a little trickier nowadays so who knows really.

My mistake for looking at the Hockey Buzz C(r)ap Central.  My first trip to that site this year proves its worth. 
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline KW Sluggo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2015, 06:52:10 PM »
Lupul goes at the trade deadline with others - JVR and Kadri unless they show some leadership.

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 05:11:39 AM »
Lupul goes at the trade deadline with others - JVR and Kadri unless they show some leadership.

He'll have to produce and be pretty healthy for someone to pick up that contract IMO (unless we're retaining a lot of salary).

Offline caveman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 02:40:45 PM »
i think we have 3 retained contracts until next summer..

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »
i think we have 3 retained contracts until next summer..
We have room for one more if necessary. But hopefully not.

http://capfriendly.com/?p=team-cap&team=Toronto%20Maple%20Leafs
Phil Kessel @1.2M
Carl Gunnarson @ 200k

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »