Author Topic: Lupul being "actively shopped"  (Read 6106 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Lupul being "actively shopped"
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 10:54:53 AM »
If you all think that rebuilding means no veterans you are all crazy. No team will every win will youth alone.

It's not about no veterans, it's about having the right veterans. Look at a team like Buffalo. Virtually every veteran they have is someone they either acquired in a trade where they gained assets or they're someone they signed as a UFA.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:03:11 AM by Nik the Trik »
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »
I don't know about giving him away, he's worth something, but the term may be a bit scary to buyers and the return is probably not worth it to the Leafs right now, though there may be a creative way to bring back some short term dead cap space to balance things out.

Also, he has a 5.25 cap hit but he's actually paid 6.75 next year, probably holding on to him for one more deadline at least.

That's kind of my point, I don't want him gone just for the sake of it and I can't see any team offering anything of value at the moment. If he has a healthy year next year, another team might take a chance on him at the deadline.

From hearing him talk, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, I'd keep him for that too as opposed to just throwing away an asset.

Andrew Walker        ✔ @FAN590Walker
I've been told #Leafs are actively shopping Lupul, and it's very much in the plans for him to be dealt in the next week.
4:44 PM - 22 Feb 2015

Apparently the Leafs are not only shopping him, but that they have told him he will be traded prior to the deadline.  So goes the story according to Sportsnet this morning.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 12:18:38 PM »
If you all think that rebuilding means no veterans you are all crazy. No team will every win will youth alone.

It's not about no veterans, it's about having the right veterans. Look at a team like Buffalo. Virtually every veteran they have is someone they either acquired in a trade where they gained assets or they're someone they signed as a UFA.

This.  I think the Leafs will be taking back some veterans on short-term contracts when they start dumping players with bigger salaries.

As far as Lupul goes, Fan 590 is also claiming he has been informed he will be traded before the deadline.  If that's true, they likely have an offer/offers they like enough and are waiting to see if the return improves before they move him.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »
I don't know about giving him away, he's worth something, but the term may be a bit scary to buyers and the return is probably not worth it to the Leafs right now, though there may be a creative way to bring back some short term dead cap space to balance things out.

Also, he has a 5.25 cap hit but he's actually paid 6.75 next year, probably holding on to him for one more deadline at least.

That's kind of my point, I don't want him gone just for the sake of it and I can't see any team offering anything of value at the moment. If he has a healthy year next year, another team might take a chance on him at the deadline.

From hearing him talk, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, I'd keep him for that too as opposed to just throwing away an asset.

Andrew Walker        ✔ @FAN590Walker
I've been told #Leafs are actively shopping Lupul, and it's very much in the plans for him to be dealt in the next week.
4:44 PM - 22 Feb 2015

Apparently the Leafs are not only shopping him, but that they have told him he will be traded prior to the deadline.  So goes the story according to Sportsnet this morning.

If that proves to be true, I fully expect the return to be incredibly underwhelming.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »
Thank God I'm not the GM.  If I were....

... I'd start shipping guys out willy-nilly because I can't stand waiting for the deadline anymore.  That's the only thing that's even mildly interesting about this team anymore.

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 05:46:10 PM »
I have always found the defensive side of lupuls game is really bad. He's too injury prone and inconsistent. I would be surprised if they get much for him.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 05:47:50 PM »
package him with Polak or Bozak
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
I have always found the defensive side of lupuls game is really bad. He's too injury prone and inconsistent. I would be surprised if they get much for him.
His value is offset by his contract.  Although GMs seem more willing to spend money then I would be.
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 07:15:52 AM »

... I'd start shipping guys out willy-nilly because I can't stand waiting for the deadline anymore.  That's the only thing that's even mildly interesting about this team anymore.

Seriously. I wish they'd stop "actively shopping" and start "actively trading".

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 07:52:09 AM »

Don't worry it is coming.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 08:20:06 AM »

As eager as I am to see player movement, I'd still rather see the best possible trades and not the soonest possible trades.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 08:49:01 AM »

As eager as I am to see player movement, I'd still rather see the best possible trades and not the soonest possible trades.

With lupul the longer you wait the less you will get.  We would have got more for him a year or two ago then what we will get now.  People realize his injury issues are never going away and that he will only suit up for half the games.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 09:12:59 AM »

I'd love to see people as GM who say they would simply "make trades" as if there's no salary cap and you don't need a willing other team or teams to trade with.  Lupul for an old brown shoe?  Book it!  Winnik for a hubcap? You know it.

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »
I love how you take posts like that seriously.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 11:14:49 AM »
From Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts this week:

3. Keep an eye on Washington. GM Brian MacLellan said last weekend he will not trade Mike Green for picks or prospects, so barring a blockbuster (which the GM doesn’t see coming), Green will finish the season in the American capital.

The Capitals are all-in.

MacLellan would not comment on anything else, but it’s believed they will try to add another defenceman and it’s well-known they are chasing a forward to play with Nicklas Backstrom and Alexander Ovechkin. Ovechkin’s flexibility allows them to search for the best possible addition, whether a right- or left-handed shot.

I haven't seen Washington linked to Lupul, but I could see that working. The Caps really haven't had another big offensive threat beyond Ovi/Backstrom since Semin left.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 11:14:49 AM »