Author Topic: Florida interested in Kessel  (Read 14764 times)

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Florida interested in Kessel
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2015, 04:33:40 PM »
You guys keep forgetting what Lord Kypreos said. Kessel has no value.

How I wish we lived in a world in which Kypreos wasn't always right.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
You guys keep forgetting what Lord Kypreos said. Kessel has no value.

Kessel and a 1st for Mike Hoffman.  How do you say no to that if you're the Leafs?

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2015, 09:52:40 PM »
We're talking Nashville's 1st, right? 'Cause otherwise that's krazy.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2015, 11:08:48 PM »
Intersting link on spectorshockey.net this evening from Comcast Sportsnet.  I wouldn't mind having Tomas Hertl and some picks/prospects.  That would speed up the rebuild a little bit and free up some $$$

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/sharks-mailbag-could-kessel-be-fit-san-jose

Kevin Kurz responded to a reader’s e-mail asking about the possibility of the San Jose Sharks acquiring winger Phil Kessel from the Toronto Maple Leafs. Kurz notes the Sharks are among the few teams who can absorb Kessel’s $8 million per season salary, plus he had good chemistry with Joe Pavelski on Team USA at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.
The return, however, could be expensive. ” The Sharks would likely have to surrender a player like Tomas Hertl, Matt Nieto, Mirco Mueller, and/or Nikolay Goldobin along with multiple draft picks if they were to make a run at Kessel,” writes Kurz, who nevertheless feels the Leafs winger might be worth it
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:10:35 PM by LuncheonMeat »
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2015, 12:24:36 AM »
He's not worth it. He's an anchor I've been told.

Offline A finnish leaf fan

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2015, 07:20:58 AM »
He's not worth it. He's an anchor I've been told.

Agreed, Hertl became overhyped because of the highlight reel goal he scored last season as a rookie. He's rapidly following Jon Cheechoo, Devin Setoguchi and even Dany Heatley on the list of "look what playing alongside Joe Thornton did to my stats". Having said that, I wouldn't mind him as a part of a Kessel trade as he's still young and has upside but in no case should he be the centerpiece coming to TO. Same goes for all the other names mentioned - none of those really strike to me as top tier talent.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2015, 09:04:20 AM »
Agreed, Hertl became overhyped because of the highlight reel goal he scored last season as a rookie. He's rapidly following Jon Cheechoo, Devin Setoguchi and even Dany Heatley on the list of "look what playing alongside Joe Thornton did to my stats". Having said that, I wouldn't mind him as a part of a Kessel trade as he's still young and has upside but in no case should he be the centerpiece coming to TO. Same goes for all the other names mentioned - none of those really strike to me as top tier talent.

Their draft pick could possible be the most tantalizing piece on a trade. Right now they're drafting 14th, and their season is not going well. I could see them dropping to 12th when all is said and done. In a draft like this that will get you a pretty good player.

Offline Can8899

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2015, 09:38:52 AM »

Their draft pick could possible be the most tantalizing piece on a trade. Right now they're drafting 14th, and their season is not going well. I could see them dropping to 12th when all is said and done. In a draft like this that will get you a pretty good player.

I don't think there's any way the Leafs get that haul just for Kessel.  I would think if there is a deal to be done with San Jose it would be 2 of those guys and a draft pick. 

I would be happy with Mueller, Goldobin and a 1st for Kessel however that would be the equivalent of 3 1st round picks from SJ.  Would they be willing to do that?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2015, 09:46:43 AM »
I don't think there's any way the Leafs get that haul just for Kessel.  I would think if there is a deal to be done with San Jose it would be 2 of those guys and a draft pick. 

I would be happy with Mueller, Goldobin and a 1st for Kessel however that would be the equivalent of 3 1st round picks from SJ.  Would they be willing to do that?

I don't think that the writer was suggesting that all 4 of those guys would be in the deal, just that one or two would be, like you said. If San Jose wants to get a Stanley Cup before Thornton and Marleau kick the bucket, I could see them biting on a deal like you mentioned. But I'm not even sure the Sharks know what direction they want their franchise to go in right now.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2015, 09:46:59 AM »

Yup. If they can try a couple of the Sharks' quality prospects and their 1st, that would be a pretty solid return. Not going to happen at the deadline, unless they're desperate (and they are close enough that they could feel adding Kessel could get them there), but, definitely a possibility at the draft.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »

Yup. If they can try a couple of the Sharks' quality prospects and their 1st, that would be a pretty solid return. Not going to happen at the deadline, unless they're desperate (and they are close enough that they could feel adding Kessel could get them there), but, definitely a possibility at the draft.

I feel if it goes to the draft then it may not happen.  If the Sharks miss the playoffs, then they may not be all that interested in moving that pick.  Also if they miss and win the lottery then they are definitely not moving that pick.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »