Author Topic: Florida interested in Kessel  (Read 14761 times)

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Florida interested in Kessel
« on: February 16, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »
http://www.tsn.ca/trade-talk-kessel-in-the-sunshine-state-1.208497

I love how these reports are "We'll take your best player, but we don't want to part with one of our top assets."
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Florida interested in Kessel
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »
"Every NHL team interested in adding perennial 30 goal scorer at right price: TSN"

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:02:53 PM »
I wonder what "young stud" means in this instance. I obviously can't blame them for not wanting to include Barkov or Ekblad here. But would a Bjugstad or Huberdeau be available? Either of those two would be a nice starting point in negotiations.

I also think that Florida makes a ton of sense here. They have a boatload of young talent but still need that one big offensive weapon to take the next step.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »
I'm also interested in Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Barkov, Ekblad, their 1st round pick, Matheson and Petrovic.  Doesn't mean we can just get them.  Any team getting a 30+ goal scorer locked and guaranteed for 8-years (important for teams that don't tend to snag a lot of free agents) is going to pay through the nose for him. 

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 01:05:40 PM »
From earlier today:

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris  22 minutes ago
Dave Nonis tells Hockey Central at Noon that he's had "a number" of trade conversations with other teams on Kessel.

Starting to really seem like we're seeing Kessel's final couple of months in Toronto.

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 01:09:09 PM »
From earlier today:

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris  22 minutes ago
Dave Nonis tells Hockey Central at Noon that he's had "a number" of trade conversations with other teams on Kessel.

Starting to really seem like we're seeing Kessel's final couple of months in Toronto.

If so I wish him a great career. Bring on the youth and picks

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 01:12:09 PM »
That's just it.  I can't tell from the tone of the post if all those players listed are the young studs that they won't part with.  I can't see how that would be reasonable.

When they trade Kessel and Phanuef, those are the trades they need to make hay with.  All the other trades are nice as add-ons, but those are the two players that can really set the table for the future. 

Also, what if Kessel doesn't want to go to Florida?  He does have the limited no trade.  If he doesn't want to go there it's possible he has said as much.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »
If they're not willing to include Bjugstad, Huberdeau, etc., then they're not really interested. I understand not wanting to include Ekblad or Barkov - they'd be crazy to move either of them - but the others . . . you don't add an elite goal scorer without giving up something very valuable.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 01:17:33 PM »
If they're not willing to include Bjugstad, Huberdeau, etc., then they're not really interested. I understand not wanting to include Ekblad or Barkov - they'd be crazy to move either of them - but the others . . . you don't add an elite goal scorer without giving up something very valuable.

Agreed. If Kessel was/ is available, almost every team in the league that needs that guy will be calling and the offers near the end, would be quite high I would think.

Florida is not serious if they don't add at least 2 of the above mentioned young players and their 1st.
BWB

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 01:18:03 PM »

I can't see Tallon even engaging in a trade talks for a guy like Kessel if he's completely unwilling to move any of his big-4. I'm sure he'd consider moving Bjugstad or Huberdeau here. Maybe his starting stance is that those guys are off the table, but if he's serious about a trade that will change.

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »
The real shame here is that the Leafs will never ever ever get two first round and one second round pick for Kessel as they gave up in order to acquire him to begin with.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 01:24:03 PM »
The real shame here is that the Leafs will never ever ever get two first round and one second round pick for Kessel as they gave up in order to acquire him to begin with.

But, I don't see that the equivalent in players and picks coming back would be an unrealistic achievement.
BWB

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »

I can't see Tallon even engaging in a trade talks for a guy like Kessel if he's completely unwilling to move any of his big-4. I'm sure he'd consider moving Bjugstad or Huberdeau here. Maybe his starting stance is that those guys are off the table, but if he's serious about a trade that will change.

There's not really anything else on their roster TBH.

I'd send them Kessel and Bozak for Huberdeau, Bjugstad and a 1st and 2nd from this year and be done with it.

Anyone think they'd do that? Is it enough of a return?

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »

Looking at the standings, I'm wondering who's a bubble club that would be willing to trade their 1st rounder...Florida's right there, otherwise you're getting a pick in the 20+ range.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »
There's not really anything else on their roster TBH.

I'd send them Kessel and Bozak for Huberdeau, Bjugstad and a 1st and 2nd from this year and be done with it.

Anyone think they'd do that? Is it enough of a return?

A Kessel/Bozak package would be interesting (and of course hilarious). At first glance I would absolutely do that deal, but I doubt Florida does. Florida would only be interesting in Bozak as a 2C if they move Bjugstad, so let's say he stays in the deal and Huberdeau is downgraded to a slightly lesser prospect like Trocheck. Maybe that does it, who knows though.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »