Author Topic: European free agents  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: European free agents
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »
I'm not saying that this can't work in the future, but haven't the Leafs had zero success with this over the last 15 years or so.

I'm just going by memory, but I can't think of any European free agent they've signed  that turned out to be an impact player.
We're going back a ways here, but to the exact wording of your question, Borje Salming.

I did say last 15 years or so... besides, I made you a babcock-jesus picture and you said nothing. Good day to you sir.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 05:36:16 PM »
I'm not saying that this can't work in the future, but haven't the Leafs had zero success with this over the last 15 years or so.

I'm just going by memory, but I can't think of any European free agent they've signed  that turned out to be an impact player.

We're going back a ways here, but to the exact wording of your question, Borje Salming.

I did say last 15 years or so... besides, I made you a babcock-jesus picture and you said nothing. Good day to you sir.

You said "any European free agent".  If you wanted to use the 15 year stipulation of the prior one-sentence paragraph, then maybe you should have made that a two-sentence paragraph.  Writing technique, son.

I laughed heartily at Babcock-Jesus and should have told you so.  My apologies.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 05:59:45 PM »
To be clear, I don't expect any potential European free agents to be a significant difference maker.  But it's possible and the team should be exploring all avenues for talent.  As long as expectations are kept reasonable there's no real downside to it.

Exactly. And, just because it hasn't worked out so well for the Leafs so far doesn't mean it never will. Other teams have found quality pieces at free agents in Europe. They are out there. The Leafs just need to do a better job of identifying them.

you mean like that guy they called the next daniel alfersson.  I forget the guys name because he didn't do much in the league.

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 06:04:09 PM »

You said "any European free agent".  If you wanted to use the 15 year stipulation of the prior one-sentence paragraph, then maybe you should have made that a two-sentence paragraph.  Writing technique, son.

I laughed heartily at Babcock-Jesus and should have told you so.  My apologies.

That's all <sniff> I needed.... to ... hear.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 06:04:09 PM »