Author Topic: European free agents  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
European free agents
« on: February 10, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »
Not that I think the Leafs will be in on any of the potential free agents from Europe, but who knows?  Here's a couple names out there right now.

@IgorEronko 

23 yo Artemi Panarin is 2nd in scoring in the #KHL with 62 (26+36) pts in 53 gms. Per report at least 10 #NHL teams are interested

Jori Lehtera or Roman Cervenka?

That’s the question to ask about Viktor Tikhonov’s and Artemi Panarin’s respective futures. According to a report from TASS, converted to English via Google Translate, the SKA Saint Petersburg teammates want to play in the NHL next season. Their KHL contracts expire after the league playoffs this spring. April 30, to be exact.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/khl-exodus-viktor-tikhonov-artemi-panarin-to-play-in-nhl-next-season/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj-QmiX0ls8[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:36:38 PM by Potvin29 »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: European free agents
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
I wouldn't mind if the Leafs tried this every now and then. It obviously didn't work with Kontiola, but Sekac and (especially) Lehtera have both played pretty well. I remember before he went back to Russia I thought Tikhonov might have been a guy worth checking out.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 11:15:57 AM »
And with the gas dollars tanking worse than the Leafs it has been reported that payroll in the KHL is sometimes not being met. I guess the guy would perfer playing for greenbacks than Rubles
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »
I'm not saying that this can't work in the future, but haven't the Leafs had zero success with this over the last 15 years or so.

I'm just going by memory, but I can't think of any European free agent they've signed  that turned out to be an impact player.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 10:03:19 AM »
How did they get Berezin?
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 10:07:28 AM »
How did they get Berezin?

10th round of the 94 draft.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 01:57:49 PM »
I'm not saying that this can't work in the future, but haven't the Leafs had zero success with this over the last 15 years or so.

I'm just going by memory, but I can't think of any European free agent they've signed  that turned out to be an impact player.
We're going back a ways here, but to the exact wording of your question, Borje Salming.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »
To be clear, I don't expect any potential European free agents to be a significant difference maker.  But it's possible and the team should be exploring all avenues for talent.  As long as expectations are kept reasonable there's no real downside to it.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
To be clear, I don't expect any potential European free agents to be a significant difference maker.  But it's possible and the team should be exploring all avenues for talent.  As long as expectations are kept reasonable there's no real downside to it.

Exactly. And, just because it hasn't worked out so well for the Leafs so far doesn't mean it never will. Other teams have found quality pieces at free agents in Europe. They are out there. The Leafs just need to do a better job of identifying them.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 02:14:05 PM »

Exactly. And, just because it hasn't worked out so well for the Leafs so far doesn't mean it never will. Other teams have found quality pieces at free agents in Europe. They are out there. The Leafs just need to do a better job of identifying them.

And if some don't quite work out, it's not like the Marlies don't need a few quality additions.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 02:18:01 PM »
And if some don't quite work out, it's not like the Marlies don't need a few quality additions.

Or, they end up like Kontiola, and head back to Europe mid-season - which, for guys that aren't working out, is not a big deal.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 02:25:08 PM »

Or, they end up like Kontiola, and head back to Europe mid-season - which, for guys that aren't working out, is not a big deal.

I know  :-\  And to what you said, I really hope Shanahan has people in place now that are better at identifying talent. 
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 02:25:54 PM »
Panarin is quite intriguing though.  On the same team as Kovalchuk and outproducing him, 62 pts in 54 games, at age 23.  Only Radulov has more points in the league. 

His issue will be size.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »

We're going back a ways here, but to the exact wording of your question, Borje Salming.

Well, to the exact wording, Joe said 15 years...so you're over the term.

Pay attention.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
Panarin is quite intriguing though.  On the same team as Kovalchuk and outproducing him, 62 pts in 54 games, at age 23.  Only Radulov has more points in the league. 

His issue will be size.

Considering how stripped down the Leafs could be next season, there's definitely no harm in giving him a shot. Better than throwing an 18-20 year old kid into the lineup before they're ready.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »