Author Topic: Pens interested in Winnik  (Read 9932 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Pens interested in Winnik
« on: January 28, 2015, 07:55:22 AM »
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger  ·  34 minutes ago
Penguins also made an offer last week on Winnik. Leafs aren't ready to move him...yet. #BelLetsTalk

I think Winnik could be a guy that a team seriously overpays for at the deadline, he's the type of player playoff teams love to load up with. No point in trading him now, wait for when teams get the most desperate.

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pens interested in Winnik
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
I don't imagine the offer was very good or he'd be gone IMO.

What's "overpaying" for Winnik? A 2nd? Beau Bennett?

I think he's a good player for a playoff team but I doubt we'll see much in return (whatever we end up with is ok by me though).

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:12:27 AM »
A 2nd or 3rd, two signed Crosby Jerseys and one signed Malken thrown in along with a broken goalie stick of Fluery.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline mc

• Veteran
  • get the shovels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:26:57 AM »
A 2nd or 3rd, two signed Crosby Jerseys and one signed Malken thrown in along with a broken goalie stick of Fluery.

We already had stickgate, jerseygate and now we can have signgate.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »
I think he's a good player for a playoff team but I doubt we'll see much in return (whatever we end up with is ok by me though).

You're probably right in that we won't see much for him when compared to the return for a topflight player or anything but I wouldn't write off the value in a 2nd rounder in a good draft or even the way that teams can sort of lose their mind at the deadline bidding on valuable role players. It's unlikely to happen again but Paul Gaustad did go for a first.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 10:37:49 AM »
You're probably right in that we won't see much for him when compared to the return for a topflight player or anything but I wouldn't write off the value in a 2nd rounder in a good draft or even the way that teams can sort of lose their mind at the deadline bidding on valuable role players. It's unlikely to happen again but Paul Gaustad did go for a first.

There are always a couple good players taken in the 2nd or 3rd round, so, while those picks tend to get moved without much concern, they definitely have value. The more picks you have, the greater your odds at finding the guys that actually reach their potential. On top of that, these picks are also currency that can be used to move up in the draft. It's not unusual to see a late 1st round pick moved for a pair of 2nd rounders.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 10:44:36 AM »

There are always a couple good players taken in the 2nd or 3rd round, so, while those picks tend to get moved without much concern, they definitely have value. The more picks you have, the greater your odds at finding the guys that actually reach their potential. On top of that, these picks are also currency that can be used to move up in the draft. It's not unusual to see a late 1st round pick moved for a pair of 2nd rounders.

And I think to that end if something like that happens with Winnik it would sort of be the kind of deal that we haven't seen much from the Leafs over the last few years but that I think is crucial to a team trying to build it's prospect base. Sign a role player to a cheap deal, turn them into a draft pick...rinse and repeat as needed. Constantly being "in it" for a playoff spot means guys like a Jay McClement or Clarke MacArthur just leave with no benefit to the club.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
Winnik's been great for us but if it's a 2nd or more, abso.

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »

I would trade Winnik to a contender for a 2nd or 3rd pick and offer him a good contract this summer to see if he would re-sign with the Leafs again.  The more picks the better in my books.  I would replace him with one of the many Leaf borderline NHLers like Ashton or Kozun and see how they do.
All The Best
Dan

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
Have to agree, it would be great to go into  this draft with 2 1st rounders, 2 or 3 second rounders,etc. Time to get rid of some of the none core players including Captain P
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 08:51:09 AM »

I would trade Winnik to a contender for a 2nd or 3rd pick and offer him a good contract this summer to see if he would re-sign with the Leafs again.  The more picks the better in my books.  I would replace him with one of the many Leaf borderline NHLers like Ashton or Kozun and see how they do.

I think the "Ashton" boat has sailed. But for sure there are players in AHL that could play in that role.

Offline slapshot

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »
Winnik to the Kings for our 2nd round pick back would be nice, but probably too much to ask for.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »
Winnik to the Kings for our 2nd round pick back would be nice, but probably too much to ask for.

Maybe they could use David Booth?
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 03:04:49 PM »

They've already traded the Leafs pick to Columbus, who would have no interest in any of the Leafs' rentals.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 03:33:14 PM »
How did we lose our 2nd round pick? Bernier?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 03:33:14 PM »