Author Topic: Franson at the deadline  (Read 8134 times)

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Franson at the deadline
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »
From tsn.ca:

Flying South?

The Dallas Stars have some veteran pending UFA players that they may consider moving at the trade deadline, but could the team's bigger priority be adding a Toronto Maple Leaf to its blue line?

Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News reported Sunday that while the likes of Erik Cole and Shawn Horcoff could be on the way out, the team might also want to bolster its back end for a playoff run this season.

Listed amongst possible trade targets that might appeal to the Stars are pending UFA Cody Franson as well as Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf.

Franson's point production and right-hand shot make him a coveted addition, according to Heika, who had the following to say of Phaneuf: "Toronto’s captain has six years left on a contract extension that averages $7 million and would require a lot in return, so you have to be sold on the 29-year-old. But he’s a big (6-3, 218) lefty who might be the No. 1 defenceman the team craves."

http://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-stars-eyeing-leafs-d-1.191388

Clickbait?  Maybe, but at least it came from a Dallas scribe.

I posted in another thread that I'd be interested in Eakin and Klingberg (well Nichushkin too but that ain't happening!)

I'd happily move either of them for that return.

Klingberg is better than Gardiner IMO.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 11:37:32 PM »
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/franson-unsure-of-leaf-future-as-trade-talks-swirl-1.193296

He wants to stay a Leaf blahblahblah.  If they dump Phaneuf to sign him then I guess I'm OK with it but despite his better play this year I think he's too slow.  Get rid of both and pile up picks.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 10:13:33 AM »
Franson a must if they got rid of the Pylon, otherwise he is toast.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 10:29:11 AM »
He wants to stay a Leaf blahblahblah.  If they dump Phaneuf to sign him then I guess I'm OK with it but despite his better play this year I think he's too slow.  Get rid of both and pile up picks.

Yup. He's going to get paid more than he's worth, and the Leafs need to have less of those contracts, not more.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 11:16:34 AM »
I think he could be reasonable on a 2 or 3 year deal as he is a huge Leaf fan. I realize business is business but if he knows they are going to open the bank for him in 3 years (when they have rid  themselve of Clarkson and some of the other bad contracts) he may just stick around.
I mean this guy loves the Leafs, he almost had a rupnee when they gave him the A.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 05:14:43 AM »
Franson to Nashville?   This from LeBrun:

Franson would join (re-join) an already significant defensive group in Nashville that includes Shea Weber, Roman Josi, Ryan Ellisand Seth Jones.

The Predators have a boatload of cap space as well if they should desire to take a shot at extending Franson.

Coming back, could the Leafs get Swiss standout Kevin Fiala? There weren’t too many people that left the WJHC this year with a bad take on Fiala.

http://editorinleaf.com/2015/02/04/maple-leafs-trade-rumors-lebrun-talks-franson-santorelli/

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 08:01:33 AM »

Franson would join (re-join) an already significant defensive group in Nashville that includes Shea Weber, Roman Josi, Ryan Ellisand Seth Jones.

The Predators have a boatload of cap space as well if they should desire to take a shot at extending Franson.

Coming back, could the Leafs get Swiss standout Kevin Fiala? There weren’t too many people that left the WJHC this year with a bad take on Fiala.

http://editorinleaf.com/2015/02/04/maple-leafs-trade-rumors-lebrun-talks-franson-santorelli/

To be clear here, none of those words were written by LeBrun. He has never suggested that the Leafs could get Fiala for Franson.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »

To be clear here, none of those words were written by LeBrun. He has never suggested that the Leafs could get Fiala for Franson.

So, wait, you're telling me that, contrary to popular belief, Pierre Lebrun isn't writing for editorinleaf.com?
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 08:30:30 AM »
So, wait, you're telling me that, contrary to popular belief, Pierre Lebrun isn't writing for editorinleaf.com?

Negotiations fell apart at the last minute. They wouldn't give him his own parking space.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2015, 08:59:11 AM »
So where do we think Fiala slots in next season on the Leafs?

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/franson-unsure-of-leaf-future-as-trade-talks-swirl-1.193296

He always can stay a leaf if he is willing to sign the contract they offered him.  If he wants more then they can pay, then he wants money more then he wants to stay a leaf.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »

Negotiations fell apart at the last minute. They wouldn't give him his own parking space.

He should understand that one-car garages are pretty uncompromising.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2015, 09:20:09 AM »
The more I think of it, the more I'd actually want to see the Leafs re-sign Franson.  But someone else's salary would have to be moved to allow for that to happen.  Easier said than done.

Man did Nonis and Loiselle really put the team in a bind with their cap management.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2015, 09:25:17 AM »
The more I think of it, the more I'd actually want to see the Leafs re-sign Franson.  But someone else's salary would have to be moved to allow for that to happen.  Easier said than done.

The problem is that type of move would likely only occur after the season/at the draft. And the team can't risk keeping Franson past the deadline and not being able to clear the necessary salary later to sign him.

Absolute best case scenario is the team tells Franson they really want him but just can't fit him under the cap as things stand now. They wink at him a couple of times, trade him at the deadline and then if there's cap space available on July 1st they talk again.

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »
If the Leafs do end up trading Phaneuf I would like to see Franson come back.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »