Author Topic: 2015 NHL Entry Draft  (Read 158496 times)

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 NHL Entry Draft
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 12:47:08 PM »
C'mon guys...everyone knows all of the following are coming.

1.  Another 10 out of 12 run right before the trade deadline making management think it has a shot.  Nobody of any significance gets moved.

2.  This will be followed by another 2 wins in the 10 games immediately after the trade deadline.  It will then seem like we are in line for a top 10 pick.

3.  But then, a win streak where nobodies like Carter Ashton/Troy Bodie/David Clarkson score boatloads of useless goals in that stretch to end the season on an upnote and push us outside a top 10 pick.

Book it... :)
Is there a way we could make a drinking game out of this scenario somehow?  It seems like the only way to survive what we know is coming in the next 3 months.

I've got a drinking game for you.. get drunk and stay drunk until this horrendous season ends.  ;)
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
McKeen's just posted their January rankings, they look pretty good to me:

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/uncategorized/mckeens-2015-nhl-draft-rankings-january-2015/

They have Mathew Barzal at 12. He'd be a good pick there. Kind of like Rielly he's missed a lot of time this season due to injury and many figure he would have been a lock for the top-10 had he played a full season.

The two guys that I'm most interested in are Pavel Zacha @ 9 and Mikko Rantanen @ 11. Definitely within reach.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 04:08:37 PM »
McKeen's just posted their January rankings, they look pretty good to me:

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/uncategorized/mckeens-2015-nhl-draft-rankings-january-2015/

They have Mathew Barzal at 12. He'd be a good pick there. Kind of like Rielly he's missed a lot of time this season due to injury and many figure he would have been a lock for the top-10 had he played a full season.

The two guys that I'm most interested in are Pavel Zacha @ 9 and Mikko Rantanen @ 11. Definitely within reach.

You're aiming too low, my friend.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 04:19:24 PM »
The Leafs wind-up with the 6th pick let's say...

Would you trade it, with Kessel and Rielly for 1st overall?

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »

This is not really a tough question.  No 2 (or even 3) people on the Leafs roster stack up against the chance to get a generational talent.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 05:02:07 PM »
Personally, I would like to see a minimum of 3 first-round picks in the upcoming draft.  One of the Leafs' own (top ten most likely), one for Franson at the deadline, and I'm not really sure where the other one is coming from.   :P
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »
Personally, I would like to see a minimum of 3 first-round picks in the upcoming draft.  One of the Leafs' own (top ten most likely), one for Franson at the deadline, and I'm not really sure where the other one is coming from.   :P

Santorelli and a third for a decent 1st?

or Santorelli and him signing a contract extension with his new team?

Offline pmrules

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 05:07:03 PM »

This is not really a tough question.  No 2 (or even 3) people on the Leafs roster stack up against the chance to get a generational talent.

I'm asking because I seriously don't know the answer.

Is McDavid in the Tavares/Stamkos stratosphere in terms of 1st overall Centers?  Or is he a category or two below at the MacKinnon/RNH level?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 05:13:53 PM »

Is McDavid in the Tavares/Stamkos stratosphere in terms of 1st overall Centers?  Or is he a category or two below at the MacKinnon/RNH level?

Hard to say definitely, but pre-draft McDavid is on the same level as Tavares/Stamkos yeah. There's basically nothing I wouldn't trade to get him.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 06:14:15 PM »
C'mon guys...everyone knows all of the following are coming.

1.  Another 10 out of 12 run right before the trade deadline making management think it has a shot.  Nobody of any significance gets moved.

2.  This will be followed by another 2 wins in the 10 games immediately after the trade deadline.  It will then seem like we are in line for a top 10 pick.

3.  But then, a win streak where nobodies like Carter Ashton/Troy Bodie/David Clarkson score boatloads of useless goals in that stretch to end the season on an upnote and push us outside a top 10 pick.

Book it... :)
Is there a way we could make a drinking game out of this scenario somehow?  It seems like the only way to survive what we know is coming in the next 3 months.

Please no. I can't afford a new liver
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline skrackle

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 06:53:12 PM »
I can't wait to see who this year's version of Boyd Devereaux and Martin Gerber will be.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 08:02:21 PM »

Hard to say definitely, but pre-draft McDavid is on the same level as Tavares/Stamkos yeah. There's basically nothing I wouldn't trade to get him.

And nothing, dare I say, anyone would take from the Leafs in exchange for him.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 09:07:33 PM »

And nothing, dare I say, anyone would take from the Leafs in exchange for him.

That's probably true in the sense that other teams could possibly offer more.  OTOH Edmonton really could use a couple of guys like Phaneuf and Rielly, not to mention Kessel.  As much as I get maligned for criticizing P&K, I know (and have said so plenty of times) that they have real trade value.  If EDM had the #1 pick in hand, they would at least listen to an offer to ship them those 3.  But it might take more.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 09:14:59 PM »
That's probably true in the sense that other teams could possibly offer more.  OTOH Edmonton really could use a couple of guys like Phaneuf and Rielly, not to mention Kessel.  As much as I get maligned for criticizing P&K, I know (and have said so plenty of times) that they have real trade value.  If EDM had the #1 pick in hand, they would at least listen to an offer to ship them those 3.  But it might take more.

There's just no chance. If the Oilers were desperate to add to their blueline they'd shop RNH and Hall before even thinking of passing on McDavid.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 09:42:48 PM »

If the Leafs can somehow get their 2nd back from LA and pick up another 2nd rounder somewhere, they can probably use those two picks to pick up a late 1st on draft day - though, at that point, it may be better to stick with the 2 picks in the 2nd round.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 09:42:48 PM »