Author Topic: 2015 NHL Entry Draft  (Read 158473 times)

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 NHL Entry Draft
« Reply #1320 on: June 25, 2015, 10:53:17 PM »
And to that point I'd bet the % of goalies taken in the first round who play at least one NHL game is the highest of all three positions.

Probably, and there are even more elite goalies found outside the 1st round than any other position as well. Being that forwards tend to be the easiest position for teams to be able to identify talent while goalies are the most difficult, that's hardly surprising. When you have a chance to get an elite forward in the draft, you take it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:55:13 PM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 25, 2015, 11:07:02 PM »
And to that point I'd bet the % of goalies taken in the first round who play at least one NHL game is the highest of all three positions.

Probably, and there are even more elite goalies found outside the 1st round than any other position as well. Being that forwards tend to be the easiest position for teams to be able to identify talent while goalies are the most difficult, that's hardly surprising. When you have a chance to get an elite forward in the draft, you take it.

Yeah, I was just thinking that I don't know what % of first round picks are forwards in relation to the % of forwards on a roster but I'd guess it's on the high side. It's why I think you see picks like the Gauthier pick get made. You'd never hear a team draft a defenseman in the first round thinking that he topped out on the third pairing or that a goalie's ceiling was being a really good back-up.

So I think teams talk themselves into forwards as being safer picks for that reason and so you get more of them and then more of them fail, whereas for a defenseman or goalie to emerge from the general uncertainty regarding those positions they really have to stand out.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 25, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »
I think this might be the link hobarth is talking about:

http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819

Cullen goes through pick by pick and gives the percentage of drafting a specific type of player.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 25, 2015, 11:12:48 PM »

http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819

Cullen goes through pick by pick and gives the percentage of drafting a specific type of player.

Maybe, although that link says that forwards picked in the first round are more likely to play at least 100 NHL games.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 25, 2015, 11:29:49 PM »

Maybe, although that link says that forwards picked in the first round are more likely to play at least 100 NHL games.

Correct...so it is the anti-hobarth article.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1324 on: June 25, 2015, 11:29:49 PM »