Author Topic: 2014/15 Roster moves thread  (Read 20449 times)

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2014/15 Roster moves thread
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 06:48:44 PM »
Didn't say he had to play over Connor Brown. I'd rather see Frattin in the Marlies lineup vs Orr and McLaren. He might just find some confidence.

Orr and McLaren have been healthy scratches for the Marlies most nights. Both have played in less than half of the team's games (5 of 11 for Orr, 4 of 11 for McLaren).

They both played in only one game, so 8 of the 11 had at least one of them dressed.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »
In other words, both have played in less than half of the teams games.  ;)

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 07:29:01 PM »

OR there has been room for another player not named Orr or McLaren in 8 of 11 games.

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »

Who really cares is Orr or Mclearn have played. They are not on the Leafs which is what everyone wanted for the last two seasons. I would love to see more of Lievo. Frattin has been a bust. Time to get rid of him.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 09:03:09 AM »
I never said play Frattin more than Conner Brown. Obviously the Leaf brass traded D'Amigo to get him and felt he had something left in the tank. He sure won't find in on the bench. That is all I am saying, give him the chance to play 20 games. If it doesnt pan out then toast him.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 10:35:15 AM »
I never said play Frattin more than Conner Brown. Obviously the Leaf brass traded D'Amigo to get him and felt he had something left in the tank. He sure won't find in on the bench. That is all I am saying, give him the chance to play 20 games. If it doesnt pan out then toast him.

What are those 20 games going to show that the rest of his career hasn't? Outside of a 2 week stretch where he was paired with a red hot Kadri, he's shown little to nothing that says he's going to be anything more than a marginal NHLer.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »
The way Kadri has been playing why don't we move Holland onto line two for a game or two. This will fire up Kadri and give Frattin a few shifts with his old bud and see if any chemistry remains. The last Leaf I loved was Kaberle but I knew he had to go, don't want Frattin in that place until he has one last chance. The old advice don't grow to attached to a player is the same advice I got for the stock market. Don't love a stock.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »
The way Kadri has been playing why don't we move Holland onto line two for a game or two. This will fire up Kadri and give Frattin a few shifts with his old bud and see if any chemistry remains. The last Leaf I loved was Kaberle but I knew he had to go, don't want Frattin in that place until he has one last chance. The old advice don't grow to attached to a player is the same advice I got for the stock market. Don't love a stock.

For the first time in a long time, I am happy with the way Kadri is playing. I honestly think they should just end the Frattin experiment. Please keep Leivo.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »
Leivo playing great, can't argue with that, Kadri a little better than before but I really feel that Kadri has the kind of talent to "control" things a little better. He is making the effort so it will probably come and hopefully soon.
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 09:13:50 AM »
In more roster moves, I wish JVR would keep his green mouthpiece on his teeth instead of chewing on it like a dummy.  Don't know why it bothers me but it does.  I am even seeing other players imitating him.
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 12:41:27 PM »
It gives me the same douche chills that it did when Versteeg would do it incessantly.

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »
In more roster moves, I wish JVR would keep his green mouthpiece on his teeth instead of chewing on it like a dummy.  Don't know why it bothers me but it does.  I am even seeing other players imitating him.

Who cares? It is working for them, no need to stop it.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »
interesting article from Mirtle today in the Globe and Mail, it is based on Horacheck and the difference he is bringing to the Leafs, especially in regards to back-checking. "Horacheck calls the Leafs' transition, from their old system to this new one, a work in process. But whats' encouraging he said, is that there's such a willing audience".

I have to admit this wowed me quite a bit. I am not an NHL coach and I don't play one on TV, but I would imagine that back-checking would have been the staple of great hockey teams from time  in memorial.   I remember Randy saying last year, time after time, that the players needed to get back on every play and help out the defence, yet this never happened, leading us into the tailspin that killed a badly coached hockey club.  Yes the new players, Komorav, Winneck, etc have improved the room. What irkes me is why Randy couldn't get the players to play a complete game but Horacheck can.  What does that say?
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 11:09:30 AM »
interesting article from Mirtle today in the Globe and Mail, it is based on Horacheck and the difference he is bringing to the Leafs, especially in regards to back-checking. "Horacheck calls the Leafs' transition, from their old system to this new one, a work in process. But whats' encouraging he said, is that there's such a willing audience".

I have to admit this wowed me quite a bit. I am not an NHL coach and I don't play one on TV, but I would imagine that back-checking would have been the staple of great hockey teams from time  in memorial.   I remember Randy saying last year, time after time, that the players needed to get back on every play and help out the defence, yet this never happened, leading us into the tailspin that killed a badly coached hockey club.  Yes the new players, Komorav, Winneck, etc have improved the room. What irkes me is why Randy couldn't get the players to play a complete game but Horacheck can.  What does that say?

Saying it is one thing; teaching it in such a way that it can be grasped, and broken down into operational tasks per situation is quite another. Carlyle generally has the right idea (pressure the puck carrier, push intrusions to the outside, spend more time in the OZ) but sometimes goes about it the wrong way (turtle-mode, giving up the point shot to protect the red zone). This was evident in the Q&As with the previous assistant coaches: Cronin; Gordon;

Even then, the right ideas and methodology means squat if the players executing the plan are just doing whatever they want. Last year, it looked like the Leafs tried the game plan for a bit, but found it wasn't working for them, so their talented players did their best the way they were successful before (run n' gun). This year, we have the experiences of getting burned the last two+ years, and in a few games this year where no plan was followed.

Here is the video interview with Horachek referenced by Mirtle

---
btw: does anyone know how to do embedded urls in text?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:29:42 AM by herman »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 11:26:28 AM »
btw: does anyone know how to do embedded urls in text?

Code: [Select]
[url=www.enterlinkhere.com]Enter text here[/url]

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 11:26:28 AM »