Author Topic: Eric Staal in play?  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Staal in play?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 12:09:47 PM »
ADD - not all that but a combination of that

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »
Healthy scratch Gardiner for Staal? It's going to take a lot more than that. Think Kadri / Rielly / 1st / 2nd

I don't see why Carolina would be in a position to ask for considerably more for Staal than the Sens got for Spezza and individually all of Kadri, Rielly and a first are more valuable than any of the pieces Ottawa got.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 12:24:46 PM »
Healthy scratch Gardiner for Staal? It's going to take a lot more than that. Think Kadri / Rielly / 1st / 2nd

You're officially on Dreger's level.

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »
would they take Phaneuf in a trade for Staal?

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »

You're officially on Dreger's level.

Or Mike Gillis's.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »

I don't see why Carolina would be in a position to ask for considerably more for Staal than the Sens got for Spezza and individually all of Kadri, Rielly and a first are more valuable than any of the pieces Ottawa got.

Three reasons I can think of off the top of my head - he's younger than Spezza, he's a Stanley Cup winner, he won a Gold with Canada at the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 01:41:02 PM »
Three reasons I can think of off the top of my head - he's younger than Spezza, he's a Stanley Cup winner, he won a Gold with Canada at the 2010 Winter Olympics.

So, he's marginally younger and he's had the good fortune of being on better teams?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 01:41:47 PM »
Plus there isn't any indication that Staal wants out / has asked to be traded out of Carolina - it wasn't a secret Spezza wanted out. That does something in terms of leverage on the trade market. I know you guys know this.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »
Plus there isn't any indication that Staal wants out / has asked to be traded out of Carolina - it wasn't a secret Spezza wanted out. That does something in terms of leverage on the trade market. I know you guys know this.

That plays both ways, though. Staal has a full NTC, which limits the market for him. Since he's not looking to get out, he's less likely to be open to all the potential trade options than Spezza would have been. We've seen a lot of examples of NTCs having a negative impact on trade returns.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:45:30 PM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »

So, he's marginally younger and he's had the good fortune of being on better teams?

Sens finished 2nd overall in 2006 with 113 pts.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »

I stand by my statement. The Canes won a Cup. That makes them the better team for the resume. That, or you're completely contradicting your own point.

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »

I stand by my statement. The Canes won a Cup. That makes them the better team for the resume. That, or you're completely contradicting your own point.

Yes - Staal won a Cup. That's why he's going to cost more than a bunch of spare parts and healthy scratches for any team that wants him.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »

And Spezza is also a significantly better scorer, being a career ppg player compared to .89 for Staal, as well as coming with a lower cap hit.

There are differences between the two of them, sure, but the differences aren't enough for the difference between a 23 year old former second round pick forward whose career best is 35 points being the best piece in a trade and a 20 year old former 5th overall pick who'd nearly matched that point total as a rookie defenseman.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
Kadri and Reilly together isn't nearly enough "cap dollars".  It would have to be Kadri and Gardiner or something to that tune.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »
Yes - Staal won a Cup. That's why he's going to cost more than a bunch of spare parts and healthy scratches for any team that wants him.

Dude, come on, you're not helping your troll reputation here. You're free to argue that Gardiner wouldn't get you Staal, but Jake's trade value isn't that of a healthy scratch.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »