Author Topic: Avalanche @ Leafs - Oct. 14th, 7:30PM - TSN4, Fan 590  (Read 12480 times)

Offline pmrules

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Avalanche @ Leafs - Oct. 14th, 7:30PM - TSN4, Fan 590
« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2014, 10:26:22 AM »
Decent game by the Buds...still lots of improving to do.

I'm not a big fan of Gardiner's defensive game (I think he is the weakest defensively of a weak bunch), but he deserves to play.  I just don't think anyone deserves to come out of the top 6 just  yet.  Percy has been very impressive for his first 4 games (almost Kaberle'esqe in his calmness with the puck).  Maybe 7 d-men is the way to go if Carlyle has no confidence in the 4th line (can't blame Carlyle for that).

You can blame Carlyle, he would have to play the fourth line too lose confidence in them. He is playing them at the same rate he did last season.

Seriously...would you play the 4th line any more than  he did?  If you do, you probably risk losing this game...

What have they done in their limited minutes to prove that they deserve more playing time?  Absolutely nothing.

Lets see. Kozun cause a penalty while leafs were short hand, and nearly had a brake away. Yes that man deserves more time on the ice.

Agreed - but that wasn't generated by his "4th line" playing time.

Offline pmrules

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2014, 10:28:04 AM »
What have they done in their limited minutes to prove that they deserve more playing time?  Absolutely nothing.

That can be a catch-22 don't you think?

Agreed - it can be.  But when the first 3 lines are playing the way they are...you really got to impress in your limited minutes, and they just didn't do that.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 15, 2014, 10:45:53 AM »
Agreed - it can be.  But when the first 3 lines are playing the way they are...you really got to impress in your limited minutes, and they just didn't do that.

Kinda hard to make an impression of any kind with one shift for every 10 minutes of game time. They're not being given that opportunity. Carlyle seems to have just decided they're not good enough without having seen what they can actually do.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 15, 2014, 10:58:45 AM »
Seriously...would you play the 4th line any more than  he did?  If you do, you probably risk losing this game...

If playing your 4th line for the same ~10 minutes a night that basically every other 4th line in the league gets risks losing the game, then you deserve to lose the game.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 15, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »
3 Obvious Observations

1. Everyone, EVERYONE, wanted to watch Iginla and Phaneuf scrap. Screw you linesmen!

2. Toronto's top line is the best in the league!

3. Finally a game worth watching this season. Good time to be a Leaf fan!

Have you watched them in the defensive zone? They can barely touch the puck. Their scoring prowess is great, no doubt, but the majority of high quality chances against and long periods of opposing cycles comes when that line is on the ice.

I think they need a big, strong, skilled centre who can hold onto the puck and carry the puck out of the defensive zone. These points Bozak keeps piling up are great and all, but he is almost useless in the defensive zone (to say nothing of his horrible passes).

Are we watching the same game dude.

the first goal was a wonder quick pass for Bozak ,and winning goals was a breakway pass from Bozak.

Just because I said someone is a bad passer does not mean that they don't have the ability to sometimes make good passes.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 15, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
So Robidas has to come out for Gardiner now, doesn't he?  Please?

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 15, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
I could live with that or some form of rotation between Rielly, Robidas and Gardiner.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 15, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
So Robidas has to come out for Gardiner now, doesn't he?  Please?

That makes me really concerned when it comes to PK.  Already, Polak and Phaneuf are doing all the heavy lifting on the PK.  Robidas and Percy seem to be the best options after them.  If Robidas comes out, I guess Franson has to be on the PK?  I sure don't feel comfortable with either him, Gardiner, or Reilly getting PK minutes. 

On the other hand, putting Gardiner in gives us 5 defensemen capable on the PP.  If anything, maybe Reilly needs to come out.  Before last night, I would have said Franson, but he played a pretty good game last night.  Reilly (43.44%) and Robidas (42.99%) are our two worst defenders possession-wise so far this season (Gardiner (44.62) only slightly ahead of them). 

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 15, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
http://fat.gfycat.com/FrighteningTemptingGrizzlybear.webm

The Komarov hit on Hejda that indirectly led to Lupul's goal.

I love Leo. (Even though it might have been a questionable hit)

Offline Leafs71

• Veteran
  • I broke your television!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 15, 2014, 08:06:27 PM »
http://fat.gfycat.com/FrighteningTemptingGrizzlybear.webm

The Komarov hit on Hejda that indirectly led to Lupul's goal.

I love Leo. (Even though it might have been a questionable hit)

I remember the commentator attributed the hit to Clarkson about 5 times, even after the goal replays.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2014, 03:57:25 AM »
Kessel's GWG NHL 94 Style
[youtube]vKTupGayV4w[/youtube]

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »
Kessel's GWG NHL 94 Style
[youtube]vKTupGayV4w[/youtube]

Ha. What are the odds

Kessel scored the way I used to score playing NHL 94.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »