Author Topic: Why the Leafs will be better...  (Read 2362 times)

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Why the Leafs will be better...
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 04:00:34 PM »
3. Key young players, Gardiner, Rielly, Kadri will take the next step. It would be nice to see Frattin join that group.

Frattin will be 27 in January, he's not really that young anymore.  Odds are there's not a ton of upside left for him to attain.

Given his limited pro experience I think it's reasonable to hope for some improvement, but yeah, his improvements at this point are more likely to be in the "more well rounded player" setting, rather than actually being that much better of a player.  His offensive zone awareness might get a tad better, his defensive play might improve, but he's not going to suddenly turn into a 40-50 point winger.

I think Frattin might surprise a lot of fans this season. Maybe not the 40-50 point variety of 'surprise', but perhaps the 20-35 range. Especially if he plays with Kadri for any significant amount of time.

I'd like to see a 2nd line of JVR-Kadri-Frattin develop some chemistry.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:03:40 PM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Leafs71

• Veteran
  • I broke your television!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »
I think Frattin might surprise a lot of fans this season. Maybe not the 40-50 point variety of 'surprise', but perhaps the 20-35 range. Especially if he plays with Kadri for any significant amount of time.

I think that if he's playing 2nd line minutes with Kadri, and is only on pace to put up 20 points, the only surprise to me would be why he wouldn't be on waivers. 

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 04:20:14 PM »
I think that if he's playing 2nd line minutes with Kadri, and is only on pace to put up 20 points, the only surprise to me would be why he wouldn't be on waivers.

Almost regardless of how many points he puts up it's not a good sign for the team if he goes from being the 12th/13th forward on the Kings to being a top 6 player for the Leafs.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2014, 04:28:59 PM »
I'll be pretty surprised if Frattin plays over 30 games this season. He'll be in the pressbox for most of the year.

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2014, 04:32:05 PM »
With the guys the leafs brought in I would be surprised if Frattin makes the team. This is IMO

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »
They lost Legwand to free agency, Alfredsson was I think their top pointgetter last year?

Legwand was only there for 21 games and Alfredsson was only their top point getter by virtue of his being one of the only forwards to play close to a full season(and he might be back anyway).

It's weird to think about because of the remaining presence of guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen but the Red Wings have a pretty young group of forwards that are pushing towards the forefront of the club. Tatar is 23, Nyquist is 25, Sheahan is 22, Jurco is 21.

So even if their older players break down I think that there's quite a bit of reason to think that more of that load could be carried by their younger players. Certainly enough of it to think that the loss of Legwand/Alfredsson doesn't really make the team worse.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:43:47 PM by Nik the Trik »
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »