Author Topic: General Leafs Rumour Updates...  (Read 25812 times)

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: General Leafs Rumour Updates...
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 09:34:55 PM »
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Leafs71

• Veteran
  • I broke your television!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
B+.

Truth be told, I wonder if their now in a position where they're forced to move him because of the constant criticism. It would be one thing if he was an aki-bergesque #5 D, but its hard to pin the face of the franchise for 6 years on a guy the fans/media don't seem to respect.

And Staal would be good, imo, but I'd love to see the package expanded. (skinner?)

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 11:24:18 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I thought it was a good listen. Jonas Siegel Leaf Report.
BWB

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »
Trade him, get whatever you can for him.  I don't think he's getting any faster.  Gets most of his points on the PP, which I think overstates his offensive abilities, and I think he's a liability defensively because of his mobility (or lack thereof).

I agree that the Leafs should look to trade him but this past season was the first season his PP point totals were higher than his ES point totals.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline KW Sluggo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2014, 06:26:35 PM »
Phaneuf's contract was bad before they even gave him the raise. Due to the cap going up all the salaries are going to climb.8 million for Weber or 7 for Dion. What would you take. Subban probably will get the same or better than Weber's deal. Again who would you take? Doughty 7 million per. Subban won the Norris which I'm not sure he should have. Amazing what scoring a whack of points on the PP can do. Nowhere in the same league as Weber or Doughty but that's sports and salary caps. These owners and GM's need to give their heads a shake. Nonis was an idiot to sign Dion for what he did. His play is on the decline. Personally I think the Leafs are going to have a tough time getting rid of Dion unless they eat some salary for sure. Think they have 2 good young offensive D men. Get rid of Dion and bring in some decent defensive minded guys either by trade or better yet youth from the Marlies and let them gain some experience and we will have a strong group in a couple years.

Doughty and Weber are simply not available at any price this year. Phaneuf is.

There is the difference.

You may think Nonis overpaid but the fact is that Phaneuf would have received that kind of money and quite likely a lot more as a UFA and the Leafs would have gotten nothing. Then you and everyone else (me included would be screaming).

Extending Phaneuf or trading him at the deadline were the only two choices. At the deadline we were in the playoffs and it appeared that we could do some damage, ergo no trade. The wheels fell off afterwards.

Nonis was then faced with living with the contract extension or consider a trade at the draft or in any event prior to the extension and no trade kicking in. This isn't that controversial or difficult to understand.

There are many defence starved teams out there and Phaneuf is the best available blueliner who can step in and be effective immediately and the price is reasonable when you take into account his age, the fact he islocked up for what really will be the balance of the best years of his career, and the fact that you cannot get Weber, Doughty or Subban (or anyone better than Phaneuf) at any cost.

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »
Phaneuf's contract was bad before they even gave him the raise. Due to the cap going up all the salaries are going to climb.8 million for Weber or 7 for Dion. What would you take. Subban probably will get the same or better than Weber's deal. Again who would you take? Doughty 7 million per. Subban won the Norris which I'm not sure he should have. Amazing what scoring a whack of points on the PP can do. Nowhere in the same league as Weber or Doughty but that's sports and salary caps. These owners and GM's need to give their heads a shake. Nonis was an idiot to sign Dion for what he did. His play is on the decline. Personally I think the Leafs are going to have a tough time getting rid of Dion unless they eat some salary for sure. Think they have 2 good young offensive D men. Get rid of Dion and bring in some decent defensive minded guys either by trade or better yet youth from the Marlies and let them gain some experience and we will have a strong group in a couple years.

Doughty and Weber are simply not available at any price this year. Phaneuf is.

There is the difference.

You may think Nonis overpaid but the fact is that Phaneuf would have received that kind of money and quite likely a lot more as a UFA and the Leafs would have gotten nothing. Then you and everyone else (me included would be screaming).

Extending Phaneuf or trading him at the deadline were the only two choices. At the deadline we were in the playoffs and it appeared that we could do some damage, ergo no trade. The wheels fell off afterwards.

Nonis was then faced with living with the contract extension or consider a trade at the draft or in any event prior to the extension and no trade kicking in. This isn't that controversial or difficult to understand.

There are many defence starved teams out there and Phaneuf is the best available blueliner who can step in and be effective immediately and the price is reasonable when you take into account his age, the fact he islocked up for what really will be the balance of the best years of his career, and the fact that you cannot get Weber, Doughty or Subban (or anyone better than Phaneuf) at any cost.
I do believe they will be able to trade Phaneuf without retaining salary.The question is,what could they get for him?
They might have to take a lesser value in terms of trade,(I hope not)To me it will be great cap relief to move him.I'll take my chances on Gardner and Reilly.

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »
TSN is saying Garth Snow is willing to trade their 5th overall draft choice,and looking for defensive help...Hello Dion...You want to play in the Barkley center....How about giving them Phanuef for their 5th and one of their prospects....(SOLD)

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »
TSN is saying Garth Snow is willing to trade their 5th overall draft choice,and looking for defensive help...Hello Dion...You want to play in the Barkley center....How about giving them Phanuef for their 5th and one of their prospects....(SOLD)

Sure. Then trade the eighth and 5th to Florida for the 1st. I like it.

SO, essentially Phaneuf for Ekblad. Kadri is not part of any deal.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:20:59 PM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 07:49:13 PM »

Actually what is speculated is NYI would like:

"Staple speculates that the Islanders' largest need is either a top-pair defenseman or a top-line left winger to complement John Tavares and Kyle Okposo."

That sounds like Lupul to me.  Lupul was shopping in NY over Xmas on the Detroit/Toronto TV series saying he would love to live there.  Include Gunnarsson for the 5th pick.
All The Best
Dan

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
I really don't think Lupul is much of a defensively-orientated player.  One that Carlyle was exasperated with before.  Now, Carlyle probably realized his only choice was to give up on moulding him into anything.  The result is a line that has a fairly young player in Kadri really taking all the heat for that line's follies.  I often wondered if Carlyle in some way wanted to see Lupul fail (and driven out of town for his lackluster defense) and to teach Kadri how important the defensive side really is.  I would of put Kulemin on that line to balance it. 
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 08:33:20 PM »

Actually what is speculated is NYI would like:

"Staple speculates that the Islanders' largest need is either a top-pair defenseman or a top-line left winger to complement John Tavares and Kyle Okposo."

That sounds like Lupul to me.  Lupul was shopping in NY over Xmas on the Detroit/Toronto TV series saying he would love to live there.  Include Gunnarsson for the 5th pick.

Probably wouldn't consider Lupul a top line LW at this point.

Offline Brian Glennie

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »

When Calgary traded Phaneuf in 2010, the best they were offered was that steaming heap of dung they ended up getting from the Leafs. If no one was offering a fifth overall then, why the heck would he be worth the fifth overall now?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
When Calgary traded Phaneuf in 2010, the best they were offered was that steaming heap of dung they ended up getting from the Leafs. If no one was offering a fifth overall then, why the heck would he be worth the fifth overall now?

When Calgary traded Phaneuf in 2010, we don't know whether or not they got into serious negotiations with anyone else. We know Burke had approached them earlier in the season about him, and that they approached Burke about him later on. Also, just because Calgary's management team at the time was willing to move him for what some consider to be a less than spectacular package doesn't mean anything about what he's worth now - and, that package wasn't as bad as it's made out to be, either. There were a pair of 2nd line forwards and a 2nd pairing defenceman that went to Calgary in that deal.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Brian Glennie

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2014, 11:02:53 PM »

When Calgary traded Phaneuf in 2010, we don't know whether or not they got into serious negotiations with anyone else. We know Burke had approached them earlier in the season about him, and that they approached Burke about him later on.Also, just because Calgary's management team at the time was willing to move him for what some consider to be a less than spectacular package doesn't mean anything about what he's worth now - and, that package wasn't as bad as it's made out to be, either. There were a pair of 2nd line forwards and a 2nd pairing defenceman that went to Calgary in that deal.

You can't be serious. Do you honestly believe the Flames were only going to listen to an offer from Brian Burke? They'd have shopped him everywhere and what they got in return is more than Nonis will ever be offered now for a player who has aged, achieved nothing of merit and is signed to a deal that has long term regret written all over it.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2014, 11:09:46 PM »
You can't be serious. Do you honestly believe the Flames were only going to listen to an offer from Brian Burke? They'd have shopped him everywhere and what they got in return is more than Nonis will ever be offered now for a player who has aged, achieved nothing of merit and is signed to a deal that has long term regret written all over it.

I don't think you remember how terrible the management team the Flames had at that point really was, so, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get seriously involved in discussions with anyone else. It wouldn't be the first time a high profile player was traded without there being much negotiations with other teams. The same thing happened when the Bruins traded Thornton to the Sharks.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2014, 11:09:46 PM »